Brake Height sensing proprotioning value problems

I have a 1989 jeep comanche with a 4.0 MPI engine. What do I do with the BRAKE Height sensing proportioning value. It is totally clogged? :headpop:

The truck has power brakes, and NO ABS system.

What would you do? :smart:

I am having trouble finding another value

You aren't going to find a new one.

Do a search on it. This topic usually gets covered once or twice a week around here.

Common practice is to either find a working (used) replacement, or remove it from the braking system altogether.

Since you asked:

I would remove it. After having had one explode in a panic stop, I would not trust any one I found used. I'd much rather have brakes, and then deal with the consequences of having too much braking bias to the rear. Wilwood makes an adjustable proportioning valve if you need one, but it's not a replacement for the height sensing valve (physically), and it doesn't automatically compensate for load.

How do you know its clogged? What position is the arm in? It should be level to the ground... the arm on the valve that is, and the rod should be straight up and down from the arm to the bracket on the axle housing. If your arm is hanging strait down to the ground, you will have little to no rear braking force. Let us know what you are dealing with, and what you want to do about it. Good luck and welcome to the club.

The reason I know that the height sensing proportioning valve (HSPV) is clogged - is because I had a helpper pump and hold the brake paddle while I opened the brake line on the feed side of the HSPV. The brake fluid sprayed, so I tighten the line and had the helpper pump and hold the brake paddle again as I opened the other side of the valve. There was NO brake fluid flow not even a drop as I moved the HSPV arm up and down. So it is clogged.

What do you think about removing the metering device within the valve, which would gut it out and turn the valve into a coupling. This would allow the fluid to flow without restriction. Would there be any trouble with the combination valve by the master cylinder in regard to return line pressure or flow? :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

I found a height sensing proportioning valve 52002369 from http://www.trademotion.com in Columbus, OH 1-614-238-1631. Probably the last one in the world. Trademotion also call themselves buyerschryslerjeep.com I think. It came in the mail yesterday - I can't believe it. Now I have to change my brake lines back to the orginal position. I also ordered the proportioning valve 52002497 by the master cyclinder. Does anyone know anything that could be a problem with this brake system?, or something that I should be actively looking at while I'am working on the system? What about the front disc brakes? This truck has only been running on the front brakes for a long time, the front rotors are the worst i've seen in a long time, because there has been no fluid to the back brakes because of the defective height sensing proportioning valve. any ideas :dunno:

• 3 years later...

How easy is it to remove this? Mine seems to brake fine but i just disconnected the rod from the axle to the bar of metal. I don't want the system on there? Is there a thread? thanks

Read this thread starting from the top. Post #3 and #8 have links to other threads that explain in detail how to remove the system.

Would the op get any fluid from the HPV if he hasn't opened a front bleeder and hit the pedal hard to simulate a front brake failure?

When I got my MJ it was braking on the fronts only and after reading posts on the forum I'm pretty sure the PO did not bleed the system correctly. I have replaced my calipers, rear wheel cylinders, and all brake hoses and have a 96 DD booster to install. I plan to keep my HPV if I can get the system bled well enough. If not, I'll go with the Wildwood prop valve.

Hornbrod has a good post on adjusting the HPV for optimal braking balance (after proper bleeding).

Would the op get any fluid from the HPV if he hasn't opened a front bleeder and hit the pedal hard to simulate a front brake failure?

Yes, he should. The rear height-sensing valve should not eliminate the rear brakes under normal operating conditions, but it does severely reduce the amount/pressure of brake fluid to the rear wheels when the truck isn't loaded. Opening a front bleeder to simulate a front circuit failure doesn't bleed the "normal" circuit, this is done to bleed the emergency bypass circuit to the rear (the second line -- which is NOT a "return" line, as implied in the old posts in this thread).