MJ/XJ wiper bushing install

This is something we will all need to address at some point. Its a easy job, accomplished in about 30-45 Min's.

Parts required are three bushings. Available form the dealer OR the "help" rack at your local parts store. This is where I got mine, 5.99 for PN 49447.

TOOLS:

A Phillips screw driver

A reg straight screw driver

A pair of med sized channel locks

A 18mm short socket

A 10mm socket

Some White lithium grease

A #30 torx bit

A single med sized "zip" tie

Start with a phillips screwdriver. Remove the screws holding down the grill covering the linkage at the base of your windshield. Now remove and set aside both wipers. Remove the washer hoses and set grill aside.

TIP: With that plastic zip tie. Attach it to the pass side washer hose so it will not fall thru the hole.

With the #30 torx bit. Remove the 4 screws holding the wiper pedestals on. With the 10mm socket, remove the single 10mm bolt down inside the opening located next to the wiper motor. Push the pedestals down inside the opening and slid the entire thing to the drivers side then out onto the hood. The wires are long enough so they will NOT need to be disconnected.

With the assembly upside down you will see the three bushings to be replaced. One in the center on the main motor lever. The other two are back to back on the drivers side. Using the reg straight blade screw driver pry the bushing off the "ball".

Now using the 18mm socket and the channel locks, squeeze off the old bushing. Its simply pressed on. It will come off with just a bit of strength.

Now place the new bushing in the hole where the old bushing was just removed from. using the same socket and channel locks. "press" the new bushing back into the arm.

Repeat for the remaining two bushings.

Reinstall the linkage and grill and finally the wipers and your done!!

CW

• 3 years later...

A good DIY that I just came across. I wish I'd found it along time ago. It's amazing that just $5 will solve such an irritating issue of the wipers going off the windshield every other rotation with a loud thwack.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

They can be a bear sometimes, especially if they've never been off before.  What I usually do is lift the wiper blade from the windshield and then lock it in place with the little tab that can be pulled out at the pivot point of the wiper arm.  Like people do to keep their wipers from freezing to their windshields.  Then, sometimes they will just lift right off with a little effort.  Other times, you have to work them by using the wiper arm for leverage.  Be patient and don't bend the wiper arm or locking tab, but wiggle them a little at a time until they start to work loose.  If they are really stuck some penetrating fluid (like PB Blaster) might help, if you can direct the spray up into them (easier said than done).  As a last resort, I've used a prybar carefully so as not to damage surrounding paint, but be prepared to replace both the arm and wiper transmission assembly if it is that stuck, as it is as likely to break as come loose.  

If you only have one wiper working, you probably will need to replace the complete wiper transmission assembly.  I can't picture one breaking so only one wiper works, and being repairable.

They can be a bear sometimes, especially if they've never been off before.  What I usually do is lift the wiper blade from the windshield and then lock it in place with the little tab that can be pulled out at the pivot point of the wiper arm.  Like people do to keep their wipers from freezing to their windshields.  Then, sometimes they will just lift right off with a little effort.  Other times, you have to work them by using the wiper arm for leverage.  Be patient and don't bend the wiper arm or locking tab, but wiggle them a little at a time until they start to work loose.  If they are really stuck some penetrating fluid (like PB Blaster) might help, if you can direct the spray up into them (easier said than done).  As a last resort, I've used a prybar carefully so as not to damage surrounding paint, but be prepared to replace both the arm and wiper transmission assembly if it is that stuck, as it is as likely to break as come loose.  

If you only have one wiper working, you probably will need to replace the complete wiper transmission assembly.  I can't picture one breaking so only one wiper works, and being repairable.

Thanks! i will give it a try

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Great write-up, used it today. About 45 minutes start to stop. Most of that was spent finding my fan and Gatorade, it’s hot down here in southwest Georgia.  

Great ingenuity on using the sockets as a pressing sleeve, worked like a charm, would have taken a minute to figure that out. 

Wipers much better but still slow, don’t have anything to judge them against. About the same as the CJs I’ve owned. 

Overall 10 out 10 on the write-up. 

Thanks,

Griff04