automatic or manual?

auto or manual  

27 members have voted

1. 1. auto or manual

• auto
    • manual

this is my truck, used mostly for offroad but sometimes on the road. I have an ax15 and an automatic from a 94 (I think that is the year) what would you do for a transmission swap?

EDIT: I will run trails, and whatever the trails meet up with, ie mud holes, rocks if in the way. I don't plan on doing any hard core rock crawling just some moderate wheeling and some crazy stuff once in a while.

For daily driver and light wheeling -- 5-speed.

If you get into rock crawling, trying to crawl over rocks with a manual tranny beats the living crap out of the clutch, the drive shafts, the u-joints, the tranny, and the driver. AW4 all the way for a rock crawler.

If you get into rock crawling, trying to crawl over rocks with a manual tranny beats the living crap out of the clutch, the drive shafts, the u-joints, the tranny, and the driver. AW4 all the way for a rock crawler.

X2

The guys with stickshifts in the rocks that do well generally run a 5:1 transfercase.

I can't imagine wheeling anything other than an automatic. No bouncing up and down on the clutch, not even little creek bed rocks.

With that said, every time I've had to have an automatic worked on, I've wished it was a manual. Full rebuild after too much skinny pedal, trans pan torn open, input shaft splines broken out of torque converter, full rebuild after water crossing.....And I was constantly trying to find ways to keep it cool. The curry/mopar deep dish pan certainly made it run cooler and fluid changes were easy.

Stick, just because I like being an integral part of my car...

So do I. All my MJs are standards, and the only XJ (running, anyway) that isn't is my wife's. However, I do not especially enjoy being an integral part of destroying my drive train. I have wheeled both the '88 XJ and the red MJ, and both are 5-speeds. Which is how I KNOW that an automatic is the way to go if you're going to be crawing over rocks.

I vote the AW4 with a temp tranny guage and bigger tranny cooler. Or atleast a electric fan for the stock tranny cooler.

Just one less thing to focus on. I do REALLY enjoy driving stick on the street though. And AW4's are east to find. Probably cheaper to throw another one in than to have it rebuilt.

I can't believe no one has asked, but what does the truck have in it now? Have you wheeled it with the current transmission? How do you like it on the trails?

manual in it now. I have only really wheeled once since I got it all set. I did not have a problem with it but what I did was only moderate in difficulty, class 6 roads, some rocky hill parts, semi deep water crossing. I did not mind driving with a manual but I have also never wheeled with an automatic. my daily driver is a standard so the constant shifting is nothing new.

You could wait to swap it until it breaks if you don't mind the stick. The AW4 is a stout transmission

Everyone is biased on this topic and you'll never find a conscientious observer. I've only wheeled an automatic and only ever driven a stick on the pavement.

Though sitting in rush hour traffic does remind me of a trail ride at times.

my transfer case is clicking when a load is put on it in 4wd. probably the chain slipping. I have a new transfer case and figured while I'm changing that I can upgrade to an external slave. and also because my shifter does not center itself so it is a pain in the butt to find gears sometimes.

more info I have the truck re geared with 4.56 gears if that makes any difference.

I voted manual for your application.

I wheel a NV3550 5 speed TJ rather hard and regularly in the rocks. The key is low gears. Luckily I have a 4:1 T-case and 5.13 gears. I have never wished I had an auto while on the trails... only when stuck in 2 hour long traffic jams creeping along. Talk about a major leg cramp!

But, I do love the AW4 in my MJ. Even though I do not wheel the MJ, I use it around our farm regularly. Often times I encounter small ledges and rock gardens (not by accident...) when travelling around the place. The AW4 has never skipped a beat.

Had an AX15 in a YJ and could not stand the shift feel. I rather enjoy the NV3550 in the TJ :yes:

I say wheel the Manual. I have wheeled both. The aw4 does have some advanteages, but I feel I have more control with the manual. One you have a ton more compresion braking, also you can add a hand throttle to give you the added 2 foot driving need. IF I was going to swap out a trans though, and could find a NP435 and had some spare cash.. I would definately do this swap, if it was a rock only rig.