First Badlands trip

glundblad

I officially went off roading today for the first time in Attica, IN (i.e. Badlands). I could not believe how big it was. Those big gravel hills were tough. That is quite a place. For the record, I took my Rubicon, not my Comanche. The Comanche, even though it is tough, it is far too delicate. I would have been afraid I would scratch it. :shake:

The only mistake I made was I took my wife. She complained of motion sickness and said it was dangerous. Climbing those big hills freaked her out. So we dumped her off at truck at the parking lot for a couple of hours. Apparently, I owe her a new purse now.

I need to go back sometime only without my wife.

I always wanted to hit the badlands when I had my wrangler. It was my DD at the time, so I was always afraid I'd break it and end up missing class on Monday. Now that I have the comanche I might have to take a trip out to the badlands.

My comanche is pretty stock, how do you think it would fair at the badlands?

Do you have recovery tow points front and rear? If not try to stay off the trails. Stick to the play areas. :thumbsup: There's plenty to do and you'll be far less likely to get hung up and ruin your (and those around you's) day.

Do you have recovery tow points front and rear? If not try to stay off the trails. Stick to the play areas. :thumbsup: There's plenty to do and you'll be far less likely to get hung up and ruin your (and those around you's) day.

I couldn't ever be "that guy," especially after having yank an XJ with street tires around Haspin behind my TJ for half a day......with the strap wrapped around his front axle because someone else had ripped his bumper off.

Yea, hooks on the front and back. I didnt really test it too much. With front and rear lockers, it still struggled climbing those big sand/gravel hills. There was a section in a woods that had holes everywhere. That was a little challenging but I was following a quad, a mule and a raptor so I stayed in that section. It was a new rubicon so I was a little nervious about the paint but I escapted unscathed. jamminz.gif

I always wanted to hit the badlands when I had my wrangler. It was my DD at the time, so I was always afraid I'd break it and end up missing class on Monday. Now that I have the comanche I might have to take a trip out to the badlands.

My comanche is pretty stock, how do you think it would fair at the badlands?

I don't know for sure but my thought is if you are careful, you should be fine. There are two sections, one for everyone (dirt bikes, quads and 4x4) and another only for the 4x4. I stayed on the dirt bike trails. There was a mud bogg area that was a little tricky at times and my stock comanche would have bottomed out and the springs would have fully compressed many times. But I would classify most of the dirt bike trails as pretty mild. The only thing I would hesitate on is the gravel pit areas. You may have to work at climbing some of the steep hills. I have F&R lockers which helps in the gravel and I was the only 4x4 (don't know if that means anything or not) in that area but it is so big there, I am sure you can find plenty to do without testing your truck and possibly busting something.

Also, I would never go there alone. If you go with someone, they can pull you out if you run into trouble.

If the comanche doesnt do as well as the wrangler, it would be only because it is a little longer and the tail behind the rear axle would be a little longer. So, don't test it and you would be fine.

Also, don't forget that there are enough idiots there that there is plenty of "entertainment" too.

Oh and don't take your wife... :rotf:

Let the girls drive. It's a proven strategy for priming their interest. :D (though I didn't say it worked for everyone)

Ding Ding Ding.... Winna Winna Chicken Dinner....

You can't imagine how much easier the "I need to spend money on the Jeep" discussion is when you can tell her... Oh, it will help do this obstacle or that trail easier...

I was more worried about the high center-ablility, but now that you mention it the rear overhang is horrible. If the sand-gravel hills are anything like haspin, you probaly just weren't pushing on the pedal hard enough.

Anyhow, I'm done hijacking. Did you get any pictures of the rubi doing its rubi thing at the badlands?