Swapping holes on leaf perch(?)

I thought I'd ask before I wrench... Is there any reason why I shouldn't swap the mounting of the leaf springs to a different hole in the mount? The rear sits higher than the front, and I hope to get it closer to even height F to R.

leaf-mount.jpg

As high as the truck sits, I imagine I can just leave the tire/axle alone, and put a jack under the rear bumper. Remove the bolt, ease the bumper/body down a hair, then put bolt back in the other hole.

Is there a particular torque spec to use when tightening it back up? I know rear LCAs on cars have a torque spec.

those shackles look aftermarket or homemade.

you should be ok moving the holes but i wouldnt expect much drop from it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Given the shape of the setup, I had suspected the net drop might be less than the difference in the hole positions.

Ahhh, shackles. I couldn't think of the word. They look pretty nice, so I imagine they're aftermarket. I think it's got a 2" lift on it.

Here's how it sits now. I rotated the image to get the wheel centers as even as possible.

before.jpg

"If it ain't broke ... don't fix it."

Don't look broke to me ...

Thanks for the compliments on the rake. :cheers:

Water pools in the back even when it is parked at a slight angle in the front. I figure water is getting under the bedliner, so having it drain a little easier would be nice.

I'll probably just take the bedliner out. I rarely tote anything back there. I also kinda wanted it to sit a little more level for personal taste. I thought I might like it leveled a bit. :hmm: It's not that important. ;)

Don't let these bastids talk you out of what you want to do. :clapping: The shackles you have look like the knockoff Ebay Chebby truck drop shackles (but lift shackles for an MJ). They usually don't fit right as they are wider than the stock shackles. If you want to make your rig level, either obtain a set of the original MJ shackles, or if that's still too high for your tastes, install a set of XJ shackles for another 1/2" drop. :cheers:

Don't let these bastids talk you out of what you want to do. :clapping: The shackles you have look like the knockoff Ebay Chebby truck drop shackles (but lift shackles for an MJ). They usually don't fit right as they are wider than the stock shackles. If you want to make your rig level, either obtain a set of the original MJ shackles, or if that's still too high for your tastes, install a set of XJ shackles for another 1/2" drop. :cheers:

:rotf:

Well, since you insist on me having my MJ my way... I tried, I really tried. :D I had the "bright" idea to take the shackles off. I bolted the spring to the frame. Before I went 5' in my driveway, I felt the rearend doing a high-frequency bounce that made me think I was in one of those low-riders that sits on the ground and shake as they go by. Oops. I drove two houses down really slow, and turned around! I reinstalled the shackles going with the upper hole. I couldn't tell any difference in that and the lower hole. So, that's where it is now.

Here's a pic of the shackle. Is it what you think it is with this close-up?

Thanks for the advice on the other shackles I can use!

shackle.jpg

I'm like you, I don't like that much rake, and as Hornbrod said, do what you want. That being said, I think the original Turbine wheels seen in your avatar look waaay better than the old GC wheels. JMO. :thumbsup:

Okay, so I am not the only one that thinks it sits a LITTLE bit high in the rear!

I really like the MJ best with the 10 spokes as I call them. BUT, I think the 10-spokes look killer on my ZJ. (It seems to look less sporty and more sophisticated. :nuts: ) I wish I had two sets of the 10-spokes. I am leaving them as-is for now. I may decide to hunt down a set of 10-hole Eliminator wheels eventually. (I'm a wheel lady of the night, what can I say? :nuts: )

Here's a shot of all three to give a better view of the 10-spoked ZJ.

tresjeeps.jpg

Well, as you found out, you need the shackles!! Without them its like mounting your axle solid to the frame, NO SPRING!! LOL but now you know that!! :D jamminz.gif

The stock shackle is 5.5" eye to eye. I always suggest JKS XJ 1.5" lift shackles as a replacement for out MJs for those who need a good replacement with no lift.

CW

Hornbrod, it was approximately 4-7/8" to the upper hole and 5-7/8" to the lower hole from the top hole.

I haven't read any lift threads, since I have not wanted to lift it. I assumed the lift came from the springs and shackles. Is that true?

Dave, the truck is almost too high for me now. I feel like I fall out of it. I don't want the front any higher. :(

CW, thanks for the comment on the other shackle I can use.