Leaf Springs

both of those guys sell MT packs. actually, i believe hellcreeks are to factory spec and motion sells std load rating and "HD" load rating. all of motion's are "lift" springs, you can just get them in different load capacities. hellcreek has lift springs in std load rating and MT load rating. but they also make the 3+2 MT springs to factory spec and they are not "lift" springs, but on their own they reportedly sit @2-3" higher than std load springs, which, again, is accurate with how it was from the factory. i don't think i'm 100% accurate on all of this, but maybe those guys will catch this thread and chime in, or you can PM them. :thumbsup:

check out hellcreek suspensions and motion off-road. both are members on here (hellcreek and "lead not follow" screen names). hellcreek mfr's their own leaf springs, motion off-road out-sources them, both have good reviews from owners on here.

Motion offroad has good reviews?

check out hellcreek suspensions and motion off-road. both are members on here (hellcreek and "lead not follow" screen names). hellcreek mfr's their own leaf springs, motion off-road out-sources them, both have good reviews from owners on here.

LOL, on the product, yes I believe most have been happy with them. Now, regarding their past subversive marketing approach on here, that's another debate LOL.

You having troubles reading son? Maybe you just need to clean that puter screen?? :???: You now, you don't HAVE to create a problem in EVERY thread you post in. :no: :roll:

I don't think you will go wrong with either guy. I have the Motion 3" MT packs and love them.

CW

hellcreek has lift springs in std load rating and MT load rating. but they also make the 3+2 MT springs to factory spec and they are not "lift" springs, but on their own they reportedly sit @2-3" higher than std load springs, which, again, is accurate with how it was from the factory. i don't think i'm 100% accurate on all of this, but maybe those guys will catch this thread and chime in, or you can PM them. :thumbsup:

That is not accurate. Factory Metric Ton springs did not sit 2" to 3" higher than standard springs. They might have sat maybe 1" higher, but a friend of a friend has an '89 MT longbed that he bought new. My friend maintains it for him, I have seen it numerous times, and I don't think it sits any higher than any other MJ I've seen.

The Metric Ton package added capacity, not lift. It was not intended as an off-road package, it was an on-road package.

hellcreek has lift springs in std load rating and MT load rating. but they also make the 3+2 MT springs to factory spec and they are not "lift" springs, but on their own they reportedly sit @2-3" higher than std load springs, which, again, is accurate with how it was from the factory. i don't think i'm 100% accurate on all of this, but maybe those guys will catch this thread and chime in, or you can PM them. :thumbsup:

That is not accurate. Factory Metric Ton springs did not sit 2" to 3" higher than standard springs. They might have sat maybe 1" higher, but a friend of a friend has an '89 MT longbed that he bought new. My friend maintains it for him, I have seen it numerous times, and I don't think it sits any higher than any other MJ I've seen.

The Metric Ton package added capacity, not lift. It was not intended as an off-road package, it was an on-road package.

Ok, then ask Hornbrod why his 3+2s sit 2-3" higher than stock. And then ask Tom from Hellcreek if his 3+2s are factory spec or not (they are), and if they sit higher than stock springs (they do). Then look at this picture of jpcodave's truck. Those are 3+2s. If you tell me that truck sits the same height as std load springs, then you need to check in to the clinic for your drug addiction. :nuts:

And that ain't no "maybe an inch" higher, that's every bit of 2-3". AND, nobody said anything about MT springs being for, or part of, an off-road pkg. :hmm: I think 98% of us know it was for load capacity. :idea: While typing this correction to your statements (LOL), I think I may have solved the mystery. My bet is that the design of 4+1 MT packs sit fairly close to std load spring height, but that the design (free arch) of the 3+2s sits substantially higher, plus they are rated for about 300+ lbs. more load than the 4+1s. That's my theory and I'm sticking it................because I'm right. :smart: :D

Well, my 4+1 86 bigton 4x4 sits about the same as my 90 (also 4x4), so I guess I fit in with Wahoo's theory. :D

Though I'm not sure I necessarily agree. Let's say that HellCreek's leafs are spot on with the Jeep specifications. Who's to say that Jeep actually followed their own "specs"? There are a LOT of variables in leaf pack design and 20 years has lapsed between then and now. :dunno:

I just so happened to recently replace my factory 4x4 leafs with 3+2 MT springs from Hellcreek. I also took a few pictures...

Rear ride height before swap: 10" to the top of the rim

Stock vs new MT. Exact same eye-to-eye and height dimensions.

MT installed ride height: 11" to the top of the rim

Net result: 1" of lift in the rear. The leaf itself isn't giving more lift by dimensional design, but since the spring rate is higher the bed doesn't compress the spring as much, giving an unloaded lift of 1".

I just so happened to recently replace my factory 4x4 leafs with 3+2 MT springs from Hellcreek. I also took a few pictures...

Rear ride height before swap: 10" to the top of the rim

Stock vs new MT. Exact same eye-to-eye and height dimensions.

MT installed ride height: 11" to the top of the rim

Net result: 1" of lift in the rear. The leaf itself isn't giving more lift by dimensional design, but since the spring rate is higher the bed doesn't compress the spring as much, giving an unloaded lift of 1".

:doh: :oops: Heyyyy, the top of your tape measure is inside the wheel well in the second picture. That's gotta be throwing it off by at LEAST 2". :shake: :dunce: :yes:

Thanks to jeepcoma for posting those pictures. From those pics, I would guess that his original springs were either the 1160 lb. capacity or the 1220 lb. capacity. The 1160 lb. capacity spring has a free arch of 9-1/4" (original part number 89-52-002-351); the 1220 lb. capacity spring has a free arch of 9-3/4" (original part number 89-52-001-824). Both springs are identical except for the free arch.

Our MT springs are made to stock specifications (original part number 89-52-003-676) and have a free arch of 9-1/2". As jeepcoma pointed out, it is the extra capacity (1700 lbs.) that raises the truck bed, not any extra arch. Where you see the biggest gain in height is when the MT springs replace the stock 980 lb. capacity springs, which have a free arch of 7-5/8" (original part number 89-52-002-312).

BTW, the stock 4+1 springs have a capacity of 1440 lbs. and a free arch of 9-1/8" (original part number 89-52-001-825). These are the springs on which we based our 3" and 4.5" lift springs. We just added a little arch and a little extra length to compensate.

I never knew there were that many different rear springs for Comanches. I though there was just standard 2wd, standard 4wd, 4+1 MT and 3+2 MT.

But if there are 980, 1160 and 1220 pound 3+1 springs, that might explain why I got that much lift when I got new to me stock springs to replace the old sagging and broken ones, putting me at the very top of stock specs, and only 1" lower than MO 3" lift springs after they settled.

I'm guessing the newer springs I got must have been the higher capacity as well, then. What still bothers me, though, is that the free arch of the newer springs was quite a bit less (2" or more) than the older ones, but installed under the truck, they road 2"-3" higher. That would go against my new theory, as the free arch of the lower rated sprigs is supposed to be less, not more.

Oh well, I'm way past a 3" lift now, and thus the point is moot.

• 2 weeks later...

Eagle is correct by stating the free arch of all MJ springs, including the MTs, are within 1/2" of each other. When I installed my new 3+2 MT packs about four years ago I did get a full 2-1/2" of lift compared to what I had before. This was due to the saggy condition of my 980# stock springs and the extra weight of the Leer camper shell I carry around. They eventually settled down about 1/2" in a year or so, and have remained there.

Eagle is correct by stating the free arch of all MJ springs, including the MTs, are within 1/2" of each other. When I installed my new 3+2 MT packs about four years ago I did get a full 2-1/2" of lift compared to what I had before. This was due to the saggy condition of my 980# stock springs and the extra weight of the Leer camper shell I carry around. They eventually settled down about 1/2" in a year or so, and have remained there.

So to clarify then Don, do you have anything else on your rear suspension providing a lift effect? i.e. Shackles, AAL, etc., because if I am correct, you are not. That being said, hypothetically if the truck were new with 980# springs and no cap on it, you have added 3" of lift up front, and maybe an 1" +/- in the back by the max capacity 3+2 spring packs.