axle?

Your front will be a Dana 30. No such thing as a front Dana 35.

axle_id_01.gif

Most likely you have a Dana 35 for your rear axle. Next most likely is a Dana 44.

The Chrysler 8.25 isn't uncommon choice for a swap, since it was factory in XJs and therefore the same width.

Most likely you have a Dana 35 for your rear axle. Next most likely is a Dana 44.

The Chrysler 8.25 isn't uncommon choice for a swap, since it was factory in XJs and therefore the same width.

I thought for some reason the MJ had a slightly wider axle :dunno:

Nope, but the perches on the MJ are spacer farther apart, so an XJ axle won't bolt straight on for an SOA lift.

Thanks,thats good to know.So an XJ D44 sans perches,shock mounts,track bar mount would be good to go.Did the newer XJ's ever have rear disc's?

Nope, but the perches on the MJ are spacer farther apart, so an XJ axle won't bolt straight on for an SOA lift.

Thanks,thats good to know.So an XJ D44 sans perches,shock mounts,track bar mount would be good to go.Did the newer XJ's ever have rear disc's?

Nope, even newer XJ's still had the the front disc rear drum combo.

no tracbar on the rear. :thumbsup:

axle_id_01.gif

ok thanks! that will help, i got to do some front end work here in the next day or so, so i will look then :D

axle_id_01.gif

ok thanks! that will help, i got to do some front end work here in the next day or so, so i will look then :D

If you are working on the front axle, none of those will help you. The front is a Dana 30 (D30). The pictures supplied only apply to the rear axle--which would be either a D35 or a D44 unless it's been swapped previously for something else.

No such thing as a front Dana 35.

IFS Dodge & Ferd. :smart:

(some of the Ranger guys even swap IFS 35's in as an upgrade. :dunno: )

Wow, if the 35 is an upgrade, what the HELL was in there before?

:D Dana 28, w/ 1" 23sp shafts.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... Axles.html

D35 IFS vs D28 IFS (Ford stuff, NOT JEEP)

D35H_D28H.JPG

axle_id_01.gif

If you are working on the front axle, none of those will help you. The front is a Dana 30 (D30). The pictures supplied only apply to the rear axle--which would be either a D35 or a D44 unless it's been swapped previously for something else.

no, just re placing my tie rod and some other small stuff, i went a head and looked, my rear one is a 35, but the front axle diff cover looks like the 44 from the picture? is the D30 and D44 covers the same?

I don't remember ever seeing a photo, but then my memory sucks so that really doesn't prove anything. :doh:

Other way around. XJ perches are spaced further apart than MJ perches (XJ leafs are mounted outside the frame, MJs are directly under the frame)

Now that we got things cleared up, let me confuse the issue some more.

Have we ever found anything substantial about the rumored D44 in the Venezuelan XJs?

That's not a rumor, it's a fact.

My wife is from Chile. I met her on a wheeling trip in Chile with a fellow member of NAXJA who is Chilean and who invited me down to go wheeling with his club. They verify that Venezuelan XJs (the early ones) were built to export specs and have genuine Dana 44 axles. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the XJs and MJs that go (went) to Chile were built in the U.S. factory and are identical to the ones we can but here. Except that the hidden winch option is (was) VERY popular down there.

Now that we got things cleared up, let me confuse the issue some more.

Have we ever found anything substantial about the rumored D44 in the Venezuelan XJs?

That's not a rumor, it's a fact.

My wife is from Chile. I met her on a wheeling trip in Chile with a fellow member of NAXJA who is Chilean and who invited me down to go wheeling with his club. They verify that Venezuelan XJs (the early ones) were built to export specs and have genuine Dana 44 axles. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the XJs and MJs that go (went) to Chile were built in the U.S. factory and are identical to the ones we can but here. Except that the hidden winch option is (was) VERY popular down there.

Not that I doubt you, but all I have ever heard about it was something like you said. I've never seen any pictures, and no one can tell us what its like. I suspect its basically like a TJ D44, but we have no way to confirm that.