• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your bumper setup, did you use stock style mounts? Any reinforcement?

you can't tell from the pics but the mounts are 3/8" plate,probably overkill but thats what i had lying around.

they extend back and bolt into the snow plow mounts on the frame and on the drivers side it also reinforces the steering box mount.

you can get away with using the factory mount points but the bumper would be cosmetic only.

here's some VW pics for you,this is my brothers 65 beetle

and this is the normal scene at my brothers

you can't tell from the pics but the mounts are 3/8" plate,probably overkill but thats what i had lying around.

they extend back and bolt into the snow plow mounts on the frame and on the drivers side it also reinforces the steering box mount.

you can get away with using the factory mount points but the bumper would be cosmetic only.

Thats what I was thinking

here's some VW pics for you,this is my brothers 65 beetle

You should tell him it's not nice to pick on the mentally challenged... Poor little Camaro :shake:

I'm looking at buying a friends 60 euro(w/semiphores) rag to build up, I can't bring myself to modify my 63, but a single port w/ original carb just doesn't move very well. I saw a 58/9 panel bus put down 27hp at an air only dyno day, I barely pulled him in traffic... :dunce:

• 1 month later...

well thanks to Tom at hell creek my new control arms arrived today.

I ended up going with the RC X-flex adjustable uppers/lowers,i can finally get the new axle in and get the truck off jackstands :thumbsup:

My truck is an 89 with 2.5L and 4spd. I bought it a little over a year ago for $400 and have been tinkering on it since.

When i got the truck it was basicly stock other then the 31x10.5 15s, the lights on the sides of the cowl which were cosmetic and had never been wired in , and a flowmaster muffler,it ran and drove but had been neglected/abused and needed ALOT of little things.

First upgrade i did was a guage swap,my truck is a base model with idiot lights so i swapped them out for guages from a 1990 XJ.

No photos but I'm sure youve seen MJ/XJ guages

next project was the interior,the truck had some thrashed bucket seats out of some car thrown in it and bolted onto wood blocks screwed into the floor.

I tore all that out,fabricated new mounts and put in a set from a 97 Dakota.

next the rear, the rear bumper was missing and the truck had a reciever that hung below the missing bumper.I chopped off the reciever and tucked it up then made a rolled pan to cover it

then I installed a winch bumper,I had one laying around from my old 83 F250.

It was way too big so after a chat with a torch and welder it looked like this

Now time for a lift,I decided to install a 5" lift from Rocky-road outfitters,It uses old man EMU springs and i installed long travel shocks. the entire install took me about 7 hrs to complete by myself. the truck drives much better on the road now and has lots of flex off road.

the other day i decided to redo my headliner since the old one had been cut out but i wanted something different so i customized it.

And thats about were I'm at now,with lots still to do.

how did you make that headliner? :thumbsup:

here is a good write up on changing a headliner viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15146

The lettering is made from a foam craft board from the dollar tree,i found a jeep logo online and blew it up,printed it,and traced it onto the foam. then i cut the letters out and glued them in place on the backer board. you can use other stuff for this just make sure what ever you use isnt effected by the glue.

after that its like changing any headliner accept you have to carfefully work the headliner material around the letters.

you can buy real headliner material at most fabric stores and sometimes they have the glue too,if not the parts store usually carries it. theres a few brands but i like 3M #8090. the biggest thing is DO NOT USE CRAFT GLUE like super 77 or other craft adhesives.

hope this helps :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

well got the drop brackets and arms in,the flex is great. i put my 5" spring setup in temporarily and it flexed enough the springs easily went in by hand.

I also installed power steering today,got tired of manually turning my 33X12.5s

hopefully i will have the truck driving soon.

:USAflag: Hey man i love the look of your manche, i had a white one 2wd few years back traded it for a bigger truck which i needed at the time. i just found an 89 swb on craigs list for 300$ and sent my gf to go get it.I'm gonna go about the same as you did 33's white spoke wheels (i love white spoke wheels everyone laughs i put them on everything lol). i'm just gonna swap everything over from my yj i have a rebuilt 4.2 w/ weber and dana 44 G4 axles with detroits.only problem is i'm stuck in Iraq right now. this forum has given me something to do over here during my down time and lots of inspiration.

Again love the truck Mnkyboy GREAT job on it.

John

• 1 month later...

Today i put in my 6.5" springs,quick disconnects,and installed some new brake lines.

for brakelines i went with some OEM hoses for a chevy truck,NAPA# 38620,38621. they are just over 25" long,stock are about 18". (Note- I'm using 1994 XJ calipers,these hoses won't work with the early calipers.)

here's the difference

this is before even with my hardlines pulled down the hoses were tight.

Image Not Found

this is after

Image Not Found

some modification was needed but they fit great and are plenty long.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got the MJ out of the garage yesterday and decided to flex it up while i was at work to make sure everything was working correctly.

Flexes pretty good but if i did some trimming i think i could get a little more.

Well i drove the MJ to work all week and so far the new suspension is working great,It drives well and the new power steering is nice. It does seem to sway a bit more then it should so i don't think the 4cyl sway bar is gonna cut it anymore, time to upgrade.

next big thing on my list is gears, hopefully soon i will be able to get some 4.88 gears because the 3.55s need to go

• mnkyboy changed the title to Mnkyboys 89 Comanche project