Headliner

To the best of my knowledge, every MJ that I have seen, or junked ( I HATE that part), came with a headliner when they were built.

To the best of my knowledge, every MJ that I have seen, or junked ( I HATE that part), came with a headliner when they were built.

Hmm. Mine doesn't have one so I assumed it didn't come with one. I guess someone just pulled it out.

pretty much all the Cherokees ive owned have had it sag down and need to be replaced. i dk if its because of the heat where i live or age :dunno:

I'm betting if anyones dosent have it the PO ripped it off after having it fall

my cheap alternative to fixing mine was taking it to my local high school body shop and having the kids work on it for free even though i know its only about $15 to replace and about 1 hr of work

The falling headliner was a brilliant move by the manufacturers. When they realized that market pressures and technology advances pushed the typical life of a vehicle way past the old mystical 10 year/100,000 mile point, they needed something to sell new cars and push the devaluation of used cars. They chose the headliner. Use a material that degrades in about ten years, the foam. It was brilliant. The vehicle still runs just fine. Is just as reliable. There just is this huge annoying item that can't be missed. 'Dear we need a new car.' And this logic works on either spouse. Anybody who would fix it or rip it out wouldn't a perspective buyer anyway.

Everyone needs to have a conspiracy theory - that's mine. Actually, I don't give any management any credit to be smart enough to figure out a conspiracy plan. They just get lucky.

A new headliner is available (both the cloth and the backing board) on Ebay for about $135 your choice of colors. Search Comanche headliner and you will find him. Material and the proper adhesive will cost you about $35.00 to cover a used board yourself. These boards are hard to find,harder to ship and a pain to properly clean them so new material will stay stuck.Over the years I have literally covered a thousand headliners so I have a little experience with these (worked for a used car dealer). In florida a headliner won't last more than 5 years.The one on my 04 Dakota is already comming down @ 34000 miles. Heat kills the foam rubber backing. :fs1:

Yeah, the heat coming from that steel on a sunny day is not trivial. :ack: I used a "high-temp" glue to adhere some 1" thick automotive foam directly to the steel and the glue didn't hold up all that well. Eventually went with household black silicone and that seems to work fine.

I've since covered the foam in speaker box carpet.