4bt swap?s

Whats a 4BT??? :dunce:

4 cylinder version of the 6bt found in the dodge rams(with a bit less sophisticated injection system)

Injection is mostly the same, at least if you're comparing apples to apples (mechanical to mechanical, and the same basic style of pump... The 24V computerized abomination is a different matter). But a lot of the 4BTs came from stationary applications (pumps, generators, etc) or from hydrodynamic applications (equipment), and have a governor that is only set up for constant speed applications.

I'll admit I've been toying with the idea of a swap for my 2drx4 pile. I knocked the swap in the past - the economics don't really make sense and they're really quite heavy. But I like the lack of electrical stuff, and the increase in range would be nice.

The 4BT is a pretty sweet motor. If they weren't so damn heavy I would consider one for my MJ. It weights almost twice that of a 4.0 and the 4.0 is not a very light motor.

Rumor has it some of the diesel guys can get up to 400 HP out of one of them.

I'll admit I've been toying with the idea of a swap for my 2drx4 pile. I knocked the swap in the past - the economics don't really make sense and they're really quite heavy. But I like the lack of electrical stuff, and the increase in range would be nice.

I'd love to see you do that. Will peer pressure have any effect on your decision? :evil: Besides, when does the economics of most of what we do ever make sense?

Willy

Whats a 4BT??? :dunce:

4 cylinder version of the 6bt found in the dodge rams(with a bit less sophisticated injection system)

Injection is mostly the same, at least if you're comparing apples to apples (mechanical to mechanical, and the same basic style of pump... The 24V computerized abomination is a different matter). But a lot of the 4BTs came from stationary applications (pumps, generators, etc) or from hydrodynamic applications (equipment), and have a governor that is only set up for constant speed applications.

The newer 4bts with the increased displacement use a nice simple electronic fuel injection. IMO that is the ideal setup if you are going to swap in a 4bt. (though also the most expensive.

(of course if you did that then I think its a bosche ECU which may or may not be adaptable to the CCD/PCI bus)

I'd love to see you do that. Will peer pressure have any effect on your decision? :evil: Besides, when does the economics of most of what we do ever make sense?

Willy

I guess you have a point with the economics. After all the sensible thing to have done would have been to NEVER have owned a jeep, let alone as many as I have... I stuck my tongue out in the rain to see what I could find for a 4BT, there isn't as many of them to be had on this side of the border. I guess there isn't as many chip trucks being cut up. Ebay offered up a couple, even some reman units that would probably make more sense in the long run.

Of course, then I need to rethink my transmission options too.

Willy

I guess you have a point with the economics. After all the sensible thing to have done would have been to NEVER have owned a jeep, let alone as many as I have... I stuck my tongue out in the rain to see what I could find for a 4BT, there isn't as many of them to be had on this side of the border. I guess there isn't as many chip trucks being cut up. Ebay offered up a couple, even some reman units that would probably make more sense in the long run.

NV4500 is the simplest.

If you need a DIY write up you shouldn't even be considering this. :eek:

Willy

:rotfl2: Thats a great point Willy.

Not to Hijack the thread, but does anyone have a diy on putting a Flux Capacitor in my Jeep? I'm looking into doing that swap.

Willy

NV4500 is the simplest.

Yeah, but it's got this stick thing poking through your floor. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with that. And the third pedal is really confusing, it's not like the brake pedal or the gas pedal...

Which is most of the issue. I'd rather an automatic. Unless I went with a lower crawl ratio. Maybe. I'm not too sure how that would work out with a 3000rpm redline, and tons of low end. But I think I'd want lower than 2.72:1 in the tcase.

Willy

NV4500 is the simplest.

Yeah, but it's got this stick thing poking through your floor. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with that. And the third pedal is really confusing, it's not like the brake pedal or the gas pedal...

Which is most of the issue. I'd rather an automatic. Unless I went with a lower crawl ratio. Maybe. I'm not too sure how that would work out with a 3000rpm redline, and tons of low end. But I think I'd want lower than 2.72:1 in the tcase.

Didn't some of the bread trucks come with adapters for a TH350 or TH400?

I've been dreaming of a 4BT project for years too. I've seen a couple on the trail and they are pretty incredible. :drool:

Willy

Willy

TH400. A TH350 wouldn't survive. But it's a 3 speed. Although it honestly shouldn't matter, one would just have to run a higher ratio in the axles (maybe 4.10, or even 3.55!) to keep the highway RPM under control. The low end torque should keep it drivable.

A 4L80E would be an option, I guess... Not sure. We're going beyond what I know.

Willy

TH400. A TH350 wouldn't survive. But it's a 3 speed. Although it honestly shouldn't matter, one would just have to run a higher ratio in the axles (maybe 4.10, or even 3.55!) to keep the highway RPM under control. The low end torque should keep it drivable.

A 4L80E would be an option, I guess... Not sure. We're going beyond what I know.

I figured it was probably the TH400. :D

Willy