4bt swap?s

68RFE should be an option.

Are they any good?

I think they are. After all they are found behind the new cummins DRs.

downside is that they are computer controlled.........but you could probably build a stand alone, or adapt a standalone unit to work with one.

Are they any good?

downside is that they are computer controlled.........but you could probably build a stand alone, or adapt a standalone unit to work with one.

Mating a non-computer controlled 4BT to a 68RFE? Good luck with that. The modern controls of the 6BT and 68RFE are very tightly integrated. It would be next to impossible to run a 68RFE off a stand alone computer.

Willy

Are they any good?

Mating a non-computer controlled 4BT to a 68RFE? Good luck with that. The modern controls of the 6BT and 68RFE are very tightly integrated. It would be next to impossible to run a 68RFE off a stand alone computer.

Willy

(I was talking about a computer controlled 4BT actually, but if you were willing to go with a manual shift auto you could make it work just fine with a mechanical IP 4bt)

I forget who.....but someone makes a standalone for the 545 RFE, I think that could be adapted to work just fine.

Of course, this is assuming you don't just pick out a nice 40 pin PIC(and probably a couple of 4 or 8 pin PICs for monitor sensor input), splice in with the various signal leads that you need from the ECU, and program up your own controller(which is what I would do).

Of course, I am betting that is beyond the abilities or knowledge of most people, but its not unreasonable. Several people have built their own controllers for the AW4 this way(although some of those were logic gates only, not programmable controllers)