BCMJ87 - 1987 MJ Build Manche Blackface

The removable mirrors thing didn't work out for me. Mine loosened up. Eventually I closed the door with the jeep on my trailer, and the mirror fell off and broke on the pavement.

Hey DirtyComanche, Sorry to hear about your broken mirror.. guess I could have written a disclaimer on that.

"Make sure your mirror brackets are in good condition prior to cutting mirror spring!"

I've been doing the "removable mirror" thing for years on all my off-road Cherokees and have never had that issue, when I'm leaving the pavement, I make a stop to remove both mirrors and then stash them in a safe place behind the driver's seat.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: June 16 - Floor, Flaps & Ebrake

DSC01685.jpg

Truck had not been outdoors in the rain for a few months, but I could not believe how much moisture was in the underlay

DSC01678.jpg

Not quite as bad as it looks, most of this is just surface rust, but the driver's floor pan had been patched once already

DSC01680.jpg

I will get the wire wheel and wire brush to all this and see what it's like after I remove the surface rust

DSC01681.jpg

Ebrake cable had already been broken, now's the time for the hand brake install

DSC01683.jpg

Other than the cables, here's the three hand brake parts from the donor Cherokee

DSC01684.jpg

After all the measurements one hand ebrake is installed, only needs a new set of cables downunder

DSC01686.jpg

Ebrake done.. oh ya.. I forgot to mention that I removed the bench seat and installed my bucket seats

DSC01687.jpg

Removed factory mud flaps from the box wheel wells.. what a great discovery this is! These 3 mud flap pieces are just perfect to use in the front wheel wells after fender trimming and raised flares

DSC01682.jpg

Thought I'd post this strange looking XJ Cherokee photo.. ha ha!

Keep Jeepin On.. BK

• 2 weeks later...

Update: June 24 - Remove Power Steering pump / steering box, alternator and other parts from Cherokee 4.0L 6cyl engine

I've been busy since last update:

- Presently working floors preparing for new metal

- Did the door hinge and pin cut to have removable doors

- Preparing to pull engine / trans & tcase from donor Cherokee

DSC01695.jpg

The plan here is to re & re the power steering from the Cherokee to the Comanche

DSC01698.jpg

I will also remove the alternator along with brackets as they mount at the bottom compared to the Comanche which mounts on the top.. I will be able to run two alternators

DSC01699.jpg

Alternator's out, just have to pull the brackets

DSC01701.jpg

Power steering pump is out, the bracket on the Comanche will accept the Cherokee pump! The steering box is also removed to exchange the manual steering pump presently on the Comanche

Work'n On.. BK

Update: July 01, 2009 HAPPY :Canadaflag: CANADA DAY :huh???:

Did my rear SOA today.. need to finish the front inner fenders and do the pinch seams.. maybe even add the 2" spacers till my ACOS come!

Ill post up some pix shortly.. BK

July 02 - Pound the Pinch Seams after fender trim & Rear Spring Over Lift

Pix as promised.. I'll only show my completed Pinch Seams after Pour15 & Paint.. The step photos are on my webstie..

Pintch_Seam_DSC01732.jpg

Completed my rear Spring Over Conversion

SOA_DSC01745.jpg

SOA Net lift aprox. 5.5"

SOA_+3_DSC01737.jpg

Stance is almost were I want it: waiting on: LCA drop brackets, adjustable UCA's, adjustable Drag Link and ACOS for the last couple of inches front lift.

Hey, that's it for now.. tks 4x following my TREAD!

BK

What are you doing for ebrake cables after the hand brake install? I want to do it to mine as well.

Hey cmelo, If u go to your autoparts store (NAPA) maybe, you can purchase a universal ebrake cable kit which comes with extra long cables that u install, synch up and cutoff the extra length then you don't have to source the cables through Jeep.. also much cheaper!

Tks for the question.. BK

• 2 weeks later...

that is lookin' so great !! -wish i had some time to play with mine. -- wifes black xj has just been donated to the cause so i have that to look 4ward to. - have u seen that mj 4x4 at the wreckers just north of you, right on the highway ?

i also saw the cleanest mj ive ever seen in my life on a lot in cobblehill. - they were asking 2500.

• 3 months later...

that looks amazing! from what i can tell you cut your front fenders level with the header panel in the front right? then you put the stock bumper back on. could you take a close up picture of that and post it, i'm thinking about putting my stock bumper back on cuz i don't like my after market one.

• 1 year later...
that looks amazing! from what i can tell you cut your front fenders level with the header panel in the front right? then you put the stock bumper back on. could you take a close up picture of that and post it, i'm thinking about putting my stock bumper back on cuz i don't like my after market one.

November 19th..

Sorry to take so long to get back to you Aaron,

I think that your question may be answered in the photos one page back (pg.2) show the fender trim and further pix of that process can be found on my website http://stephenbrockfoster.com/jeep/index.htm

cheers.. build on.. BK

Updated: November 26, 2010

Changed front grill set to 1988 Jeep XJ Wagoneer.

bd999378571f4ee38f54b30a6362249a

Finally got rear Dana44 built and installed..

cec5a58a36cc450f8c06594a45248194

1988 XJ Dana 44, 1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee Discs and Rotors, 589's Detroit Trac Loc, 3/8 Armor Plate custom diff cover, wheel mounting space of 60".

I have also got my front Dana 44 built and ready to install.. the d44 came from a 1989 FSJ, Full size Wagoneer with front leaf springs!

I'm looking forward to getting that front diff installed.. possible issues!

- 89 FSJ has the 5.9L 360 V8 (future motor for this MJ)

I anticipate a very stiff / rough ride with V8 leafs used in 4cyl application, I have plans to remove lowest leaf from the leaf-pac to soften up the ride and plans are to locate the axle aprox. 4" forward of stock coil spring location (enhanced approach angle).

Question: Has anybody here the experience of front leaf spring installation in their MJ?

I would be happy to hear any input or comments!

Present Stance.. Photo, with d30 coil spring setup, plan is to have aprox. 1" higher than the rear once d44 is installed.

1f67e1cb2a884659af6cfc79f1f1bdb5

Build on.. BK

what are you going to do for the front axle then?

See prior posting.. "Already built and ready to install"

I have also got my front Dana 44 built and ready to install.. the d44 came from a 1989 FSJ, Full size Wagoneer with front leaf springs!

I'm looking forward to getting that front diff installed.. possible issues!

- 89 FSJ has the 5.9L 360 V8 (future motor for this MJ)

I anticipate a very stiff / rough ride with V8 leafs used in 4cyl application, I have plans to remove lowest leaf from the leaf-pac to soften up the ride and plans are to locate the axle aprox. 4" forward of stock coil spring location (enhanced approach angle).