BCMJ87 - 1987 MJ Build Manche Blackface

1987 MJ Manche 2wd 4cyl 5 speed short box very rare in these parts Winter of 09' Truggy Project.. 251,000 KM Start of project May 09'

Last of the 2wd photos today May 10th 2009'

BCMJ87_2WD_DSC01566.jpg

- with / without canopy..

BCMJ87_2WD_DSC01567.jpg

Phase one to begin this week to Re/Re 4" Lift kit and transfer case from my 1988 XJ Chief

bcxj88_snow-640.jpg

This 88 XJ Chief was my first of 5 XJ's and I will be using a lot of parts for this MJ project:

- Front clip including doors to cut down to half-doors

- Steering column for intermittent wipers and tilt steering

- Steering box as MJ is presently arm-strong steering

- Bucket seats and consul to replace the MJ bench seat

- Stereo and alarm system.. and more

You can see more pix of this and other projects at my Website: http://www.stephenbrockfoster.com/jeep/index.htm!

- I will do my best to keep this build topic updated..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Monday May 10th

Got the front axle ready for removal from the Cherokee today, should have that bolted into the Manche tomorrow and hopefully have the rear axle out of the Cherokee also.

Update: Friday May 15th

May 15 - 2wd front axle removed from the Manche

DSC01575.jpg

Dana 30 4wd front axle removed from Ol Red the donor Cherokee

DSC01574.jpg

2wd front axle axle setup in the Ol Red Cherokee.. Ol Red just lost the 4x4 badges

DSC01578.jpg

Never owned a 2wd drive Jeep before.. XJ Cherokee grocery wagon, needs a front header

..MJ.. 0lllllllO

Dana 30 front axle from XJ under the MJ Comanche ready for installation

DSC01576.jpg

I was planning on re & re the Dana 35 rear axle from the XJ Cherokee also but have just found a Ford 8.8 that I have purchased for this MJ project which needs rotors turned, new caliper pads, going to install 5.13 gears along with locker prior to installing in the MJ Manche.. the Saga continues :clapping:

hey shelbyluvv thanks for the info...

I did run the 488's in my last XJ project and was quite impressed.

I do not plan on running the D30 for very long.. only to get this one as a rolling chassis. I am presently on the hunt for the old 70's Ford Dana 44 frontend.

Thanks again.. JEEP on!

Update: May 20th

Well finally got back to my project yesterday, got the front axle installed, just need to do the extended brake lines, install the shocks and all is well. Yet to do anything with the rear axle, the front now sits about 1.5" higher than the stock rear, I have always liked the squat in the rear, it looks good and provides some rear weight for the hill climb.

This and next week I will be doing the transmission and transfer case swap!

Good to see you're making progress.

Do you think you'll have any width issues with a ford 8.8 in the rear? I ran spacers on mine way baaaack when I had one because the tires contacted the sides of the box quite badly. I think 1.25" per side...

Tks MJ Bro's for the comments!

DirtyComanche, I know that the 88 is 1.25" narrower.. no worries I plan on spacers front and rear but will be removing the box quite soon!

Ok.. so who put these stupid Clevic thangies in behind the lower control arms?

- I learnerd.. never remove these sucka's or bend them while trying to install your LCA's..

- I research my jeep parts list, called the dealer about these parts as I had bent one during LCA install, these thangs from Jeep are $270 canuk bucks for clevic and hardware.. holly $#!& man I told my parts dude, I can cut and weld new control arm mounts for less than half of that cost.. I was able to fix them up and reinstall the originals!

Bleed the brakes, install a couple of cotter pins and the front end is complete.. Next week I'm installing trans and tcase. I can't wait to get this thang out'a the shop to see how it really sits height wise.. the 4" pro comp front lift has given me aprox 4" of lift which is not quite enough for what I'm planning, so I'll have to see it outside... ACOS should sofve the inch-ittis I would like to stay under 6" of lift but I do want another 1" or so!

Update: May 22

MJ Blackface sporting the new front axle and 4" Pro Comp Lift

BCMJ87_After_Lift_DSC01579.jpg

Side photo before lift

BCMJ87_2WD_DSC01567.jpg

Side photo after lift

BCMJ87_After_Lift_DSC01581.jpg

How about 35's with only 4" of lift... doo daw.. get me the Cutoff-Saw.. :rotf:

The Saga Continues.. have a GREAT weekend ALL

Update: May 23

So I've been thinking quite a bit about my project lately and I thought that I would post an image that kind of shows most of what I have in mind.. the project along with the thought process is always evolving.. let me know what you all think!

comache_truggy_trailer.jpg

Thanks shawn for the comments!

We like to camp quite a bit up here in the north and there just never seems to be enough room for all the gear.. I would like to build a custom canvas folding tent top on a trailer with stowage in the bottom but make the trailer tough enough to get deep into the bush.

Just a concept that I've thought of for some time now.. I do hope that no one minds that I used the Comanche Club logo for this display of a concept.. zero offense intended!!

Brock

Update May 23

In-cab work preparing for transmission & transfer case install

BCMJ87_INSIDE_DSC01588.jpg

Pulled the Shift lever covers for transimission and transfercase install this week

BCMJ87_Inside_DSC01596.jpg

Rear Hitch and Bumper Removal: When I bought this MJ the prior owner had bent both rear bumper corners including the tailpipe so I had to remove the bumper ends

BCMU87_Rear_Hitch_DSC01594.jpg

Frame-mount trailer hitch sit's too low for my liking, so off it comes, I will be using the receiver tube of the hitch for an upcoming project that I have done with my XJ's and I will detail that one on here as it's a great idea for both the MJ and the XJ.. "Front centered receiver and tow hook setup incorporating winch mount etc."

BCMJ87_Rear_hitch_DSC01597.jpg

Ooo La La.. I just love the cut-off saw.. In this photo you can see the only carnage that my MJ has.. broken driver's side tail light!

BCMJ87_Nice_Ass_DSC01616.jpg

Butt-Shot.. Nice @$$ you have Mary Jane (MJ)..

The Saga Continues.. Brock

We like to camp quite a bit up here in the north and there just never seems to be enough room for all the gear.. I would like to build a custom canvas folding tent top on a trailer with stowage in the bottom but make the trailer tough enough to get deep into the bush.

Just a concept that I've thought of for some time now.. I do hope that no one minds that I used the Comanche Club logo for this display of a concept.. zero offense intended!!

Brock

up here in the north ?

i've seen a few beater MJs around here ive been thinking of making an offer on. never wanted to use one for parts but .......maybe.

Brock

up here in the north ?

i've seen a few beater MJs around here ive been thinking of making an offer on. never wanted to use one for parts but .......maybe.

Hey shawn,

Up here in the north.. I'm in Nanaimo and now I see that you are in Powell River, I hope to have this MJ ready for our club's Annual Camp & Crawl up there in Powell River.. the weekend AFTER.. the Long Weekend in September, It would be great if you could make it out.. If my MJ is not quite ready I will show up with one of my XJ's though so we are planning a big hoopLa

Thanks shawn.. cheers :cheers: Brock

Brock

up here in the north ?

Hey shawn,

Up here in the north.. I'm in Nanaimo and now I see that you are in Powell River, I hope to have this MJ ready for our club's Annual Camp & Crawl up there in Powell River.. the weekend AFTER.. the Long Weekend in September, It would be great if you could make it out.. If my MJ is not quite ready I will show up with one of my XJ's though so we are planning a big hoopLa

Thanks shawn.. cheers :cheers: Brock

i'd be very interested in meeting you and am excited to have a CC member so relatively close by. I just got back from a long stint in fort mac, so am happy to be able to start playing with my trucks again. - and am hoping that the wife is going to donate her xj sport to the cause.

i just recently picked up an '86 4 cyl that i think is going to be THE one, - we'll see. -- (black on black, lwb, 5 spd).

msn is my preffered means of communication btw.

i'd be very interested in meeting you and am excited to have a CC member so relatively close by. I just got back from a long stint in fort mac, so am happy to be able to start playing with my trucks again. - and am hoping that the wife is going to donate her xj sport to the cause.

i just recently picked up an '86 4 cyl that i think is going to be THE one, - we'll see. -- (black on black, lwb, 5 spd). msn is my preffered means of communication btw.

Hey shawn, What's your plan with project X R U going to keep the 4cyl in there and did it come from the factory black on black?

My Manche is the "Basic" dark blue exterior with med blue interior, I've been working on interior color change to black and exterior is going to yellow. I have been thinking of keeping the 4cyl in mine and using the TerraFlex NP231 Low kit to further reduce my crawl ratio, I see these zukies etc running with little 4cyl engines so in these economic times I think it might be cool to run the smaller engine. I may do a rebuild on the 4cyl and then do the trans swap from the BA10 over to the newer AX15 but my BA10 works very well and I hope to get at least another season out of it.. Lot's of people seem to go to small block V8 which is also cool but I do prefer the uniqueness of running the 4cyl.

Wheel.. ON.. Brock

i will definitely keep the 4 cyl in there. I'm very interested to see how it will drive and should find out this weekend as its going in to the shop to get motor-vated.

my blue one is causing me mental anguish 'cause i can't get the papers for it, but its a wonderful truck and i hate to sell it or use it 4 parts (best running jeep i ever drove). i just can't stand the thought of slicing up a really great truck!(i put a couple of pics in the test section this morning).

i see there's a 4x4 manche with no papers on bc4x4 -$300. (what am i saying ! - I'm like a junkie now!) LOL.

Update: June 04 - Mr. Grinder does the Front Fender Trim Thing..

DSC01640.jpg

Nice and clean underneath those stock flares (removed)..

DSC01643.jpg

Cut line shown is the outline of the stock flare, then straight across to the grill bottom

DSC01645.jpg

Lots of space now for the bigger footwear.. I like to cut higher than most do.. I have a plan!

MR_GRINDER_DSC01647.jpg

A productive day.. Mr. Grinder (seldom seen!) has that satisfied grin on his face..

Next will be to do the pinch-seam pound over, trim and re-install the flares.. for now!

The Saga Continues.. were the @#$% is my Grinder..

Update: June 06 - Removable Mirrors

DSC01651.jpg

The ability to remove your mirrors will save them from damage in the bush - Dislodge mirror

DSC01652.jpg

Get in there with the diagonal cutters and cut the holding end of the spring off

DSC01653.jpg

Now the only thing to hold the mirror in place is the bracket which is strong enough

DSC01654.jpg

There you have it.. removable mirrors for those times in the bush, the mirrors in this example do not have the in-cab remote for mirror adjustment.. in that case, cut those remote cables as well, then you can use some black water resistant caulking in behind the mirror to hold it in place.

-

Re-Locate Horns - From down under.. up to the rad mount

Relocate_Horns_DSC01672.jpg

Update: June 10 - Trim and remount front fender flares

DSC01673.jpg

This high trim net's about 2.5" inches above a normal trim, I trim this high when intentions are to use the Bushwacker flares which I've installed a few times on my Cherokee's

DSC01675.jpg

In this case, I selected to reuse the factory flare backing plates, which take a bit of grinding work to remove the factory spot welded bolts. I bought all new bolts washers and nuts for the reinstall

DSC01676.jpg

For the rear mounting plate, closest to the door, I cut off a bottom section to use as flare backing

DSC01677.jpg

The tire mounted here is aprox. 30x9.5, I am very pleased how well the cutting and fender mounting turned out.. plenty room in this fender for 33's

Jeepin On.. BK