Need to replace Gas Tank in 88

You can order new ones through the parts chains or any radiator shop. Should cost you around $150. The longbed had two capacities -- you might as well get the large one, since the price will be the same.

Used gas tanks are notoriously difficult to ship (being hazardous cargo). Also, I'm not sure if a shortbed tank will easily swap to a longbed. :hmm:

Is there a difference between the long and short box tanks?

Shortbeds only had an 18 gal tank. Longbed had either the 16 gal or the 23.5 gal (which in the later years became standard)

Will a short bed tank fit a long bed?

Not without modifying something. The tank for the SWB chassis was designed to fit the SWB chassis. It is a different size than the tank for the LWB chassis.

not to jack the thread but since I'm doing the same thing what is with the skid plate bolts being bolted to a nut in the channel under the bed. and what in the world do you do when the bolt free spins. no way to get a wrench at the other side without cutting open the bed??? :fs1:

not to jack the thread but since I'm doing the same thing what is with the skid plate bolts being bolted to a nut in the channel under the bed. and what in the world do you do when the bolt free spins. no way to get a wrench at the other side without cutting open the bed??? :fs1:

Ran into the same situation a few days ago, take a grinder of some sort (even a dremel) and put two cuts in the shape of a "+" into the head of the bolt. Then take a big chisel and hammer and knock the crap outta it until the head of the bolt flies off.

Shortbeds only had an 18 gal tank. Longbed had either the 16 gal or the 23.5 gal (which in the later years became standard)

that's odd.

when I could fill my tank (before sending unit started leaking) I could put 21 gallons in it easily.