thinking of getting rid of it all.

JeepcoMJ

I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of everything Jeep that I have and starting over.

After going through the barn and milkhouse attic over the weekend, and pulling out my junk, I realized there is just too much of it. I've been throwing away parts and pieces that are usable etc. but I'll never use, and don't have time/desire to throw them up on the forums. it's just too overwhelming, so it's easier to just say screw it.

I have untold thousands of dollars invested in jeep crap, and not much to show for it. the 87 is really trying my patience right now...I still cannot figure out the popping in the steering, and now the oil pressure on my 3k mile engine has gone eradic on me varying from 20 to 60 PSI when it normally stays around 30-40. it needs another couple grand invested to get it where I want it, and I'm already in the thing around 6 grand.

the 3800 has around $7500 invested right now maybe more depends how many reciepts I've lost (a fair few)....but it needs a new bed after getting hit in the arse end (insurance of other guy never paid out btw), it needs new cab corners, a new paint job (my $2k one was not worth it...it actually CAUSED the rust, and the filler panels I made for the pass. side wheel well were not used...they glassed it instead of doing it right, how I payed for them to do it), needs motor rebuilt ($1000 or so), and really does need an ax15 with dakota bellhousing, plus the front axle is bent (always has been apparently). It's gonna cost another 5 to 6 grand to get it done right and put how I want it, with a full 97 dash and doors and front clip conversion.

I have a real nice cherokee body that's rust-free and heavily modified for offroad...but it is stripped to bare, just has doors and windows pretty much. I have no use for it, but I can't bring myself to scrap it.

still need to pick up another of my comanches from the guy I got it from...haven't had time and luckily he's ok with that. have my hands in other people's jeep projects cause they need help, and I'm finding myself spread too thin.

also working on a couple of 70's alfa romeos to make two good cars out of 5 of them, and I've been scratching my head on that.

on top of that, my mother wants everything cleaned up at the farm (where I store and work on eveyrthing) so she can get prepared to start a perrenial farm next spring...there's alot that needs to be done.

it's just alot of stuff. I don't mind working on a vehicle now and again, but with $$$ invested in the jeeps, I can't manage to save any, and certainly can't manage to get just a little daily driver that requires no $$$ invested.

gah. stress. :wall: :wall: :fs1:

I too, once was in your position. 2 MJ's at mom's house, One behind the neighbors, a garage full of parts, a 10x10 shed full of parts, and 2 camper shells with engines and axles sitting strewn about. One Mj didnt have an engine, one didn't have a clutch, and my pride and joy had gotten hit by a guy, shortly after spending way too much on a paint job that was worth half of what i paid. I pulled the trigger. Sold the clutchless MJ on ebay, sold the engineless MJ locally, and sold all of my parts and t-boned MJ to a comancheclub member. Took my cummins ram and ran off into the sunset. Spent two years away, Blew up the trans on the ram,(got re-bitten by the bug :fs1: ) and now I have an mj worth half of the one i had(wish i had it back :roll: ). Not only that, but I have none of the cool parts/extra gadgets I had collected in my MJ phase. Rollbars, pushbars, cab fairings, extra buckets, clusters, wheels, etc... Now I am back, looking around, wondering who all of these stinking new guys are ;) and digging a hole faster than i can fill it up. i wished I could slap myself back then. Sell all of the rif-raf, and kept my Eliminator. Sure it needed work, but it was in better shape than any i can find in the rust belt. Should have just kept it and sat on it until i could do it right. Glad to be back.

Words of the wise, sell the stones, keep the diamonds left in the rough. (Sell the crap, keep the truck(s).)

Oh, and before you decide to toss anything else away, keep in mind you have a neighbor just across the border :brows: , and I'm not to cool to dumpster dive. :chillin:

Rob L.

You are going to have to sell some of the stuff or you are just going to be in the hole a lot longer. I am glad you are able to help your buddy out - shows you are a decent person. At some time you will need to focus on your own projects and say "maybe after I get my --- done I can lend you a hand on . . ." I also think you are stretched to thin and have lost some perspective. You haven't been yourself since Chico stole your couch in the corner. You could use a little couch time ~ so now go shave one of Chico's eyebrows while he is still passed out on it and reclaim what is yours! :cheers:

I too, once was in your position. 2 MJ's at mom's house, One behind the neighbors, a garage full of parts, a 10x10 shed full of parts, and 2 camper shells with engines and axles sitting strewn about. One Mj didnt have an engine, one didn't have a clutch, and my pride and joy had gotten hit by a guy, shortly after spending way too much on a paint job that was worth half of what i paid. I pulled the trigger. Sold the clutchless MJ on ebay, sold the engineless MJ locally, and sold all of my parts and t-boned MJ to a comancheclub member. Took my cummins ram and ran off into the sunset. Spent two years away, Blew up the trans on the ram,(got re-bitten by the bug :fs1: ) and now I have an mj worth half of the one i had(wish i had it back :roll: ). Not only that, but I have none of the cool parts/extra gadgets I had collected in my MJ phase. Rollbars, pushbars, cab fairings, extra buckets, clusters, wheels, etc... Now I am back, looking around, wondering who all of these stinking new guys are ;) and digging a hole faster than i can fill it up. i wished I could slap myself back then. Sell all of the rif-raf, and kept my Eliminator. Sure it needed work, but it was in better shape than any i can find in the rust belt. Should have just kept it and sat on it until i could do it right. Glad to be back.

Words of the wise, sell the stones, keep the diamonds left in the rough. (Sell the crap, keep the truck(s).)

Oh, and before you decide to toss anything else away, keep in mind you have a neighbor just across the border :brows: , and I'm not to cool to dumpster dive. :chillin:

Rob L.

shoot me a pm, come on over sometime soon...I can't do anything this weekend as I'm on call at work, but the following weekend you can come grab whatever you may need. pm me a list first.

WELCOME TO THE JEEP WORLD, I'm in a similiar sitation, i have a 3 car garage, that holds my wrangler, comanche, and dads mustang, moms car and dads truck sit outside(mom aint too happy about that) then i have 3 storage spaces(2 indoor one outdoor) one of the indoor has two wagoneers and is full of fsj, tj and xj/mj parts, and the other was used to hold my old fsj cherokee that i jus sold. Now I'm buying my buddies old rolled cherokee to bui8ld up my comanche. So between paying $300 in storage a month and have a full garage and my parents nagging at me, believe i too have had thought about selling everything except the tj(still owe $ and has sentimental value) but i jus can't come to give everything away especially the comanche that ive been looking for for years,

so all i have to say is, hang in there man, i know how you feel,( :fs1: :headpop: :wall:) and like automan2164 said "sell the stones keep the diamonds" keep what you can, and sell what you can't

Will send PM. Hey, on-call? Public works, Fire rescue?

I'm representing both Public Works and the Flame quenchers...

Rob L.

lol, no...service tech at Ken's Beverage.

I bailed on EMT after I got all my certs in order...decided I don't really like helping people who have medical problems (both stupidly self-induced and otherwise). I have enough of my own ha!

Rob L.

I'll bring my trailer... and I guarantee mine won't cause any problems....

Pat....

I have been where you are a few times... Ready to sell everything, get one decent DD and be done with the entire scene. But then I work on something small to scratch an itch and it helps my mood. So I still have my MJ.. its been almost 6 years I've owned it and I still haven't done much to it. Id have to agree with Rob. Get rid of the worst, keep the stuff you can use. Clean up the mess, even getting that done could spark some more interest.

You are going to have to sell some of the stuff or you are just going to be in the hole a lot longer. I am glad you are able to help your buddy out - shows you are a decent person. At some time you will need to focus on your own projects and say "maybe after I get my --- done I can lend you a hand on . . ." I also think you are stretched to thin and have lost some perspective. You haven't been yourself since Chico stole your couch in the corner. You could use a little couch time ~ so now go shave one of Chico's eyebrows while he is still passed out on it and reclaim what is yours! :cheers:

thanks...but I have absolutely no idea who Chico is.

Lol, yeah. It takes a strong stomach sometimes to be a FF/emt. I had to cut a couple dead guys out of a car last saturday. But on a better note, I do get to play with some cool toys and destroy stuff. Nothing is more fun than cutting up a car/destroying a building in the name of learnin' ;) . I have some pics in the "who am I talking to" post. none action tho. Just me in uni. And the public works thing is a constant on call. You wouldn't think the fleet mechanics would be, but if a gen goes down or a dump breaks on a main break, things get messy quick.

And Will knows how bad i used to be. But I am currently on the fast track to "Is that the house from sanford and son?"

Not really, but I am running out of places to put this stuff! :doh:

Rob L.

Lol, yeah. It takes a strong stomach sometimes to be a FF/emt. I had to cut a couple dead guys out of a car last saturday. But on a better note, I do get to play with some cool toys and destroy stuff. Nothing is more fun than cutting up a car/destroying a building in the name of learnin' ;) . I have some pics in the "who am I talking to" post. none action tho. Just me in uni. And the public works thing is a constant on call. You wouldn't think the fleet mechanics would be, but if a gen goes down or a dump breaks on a main break, things get messy quick.

And Will knows how bad i used to be. But I am currently on the fast track to "Is that the house from sanford and son?"

Not really, but I am running out of places to put this stuff! :doh:

Rob L.

lol. it has nothing to do with stomach. I just don't really care for them...family and friends are as far as I can extend that type of care.

well,

I've been sitting outside looking at the 3800 feeling very depressed.

and I took a bit more of the motor apart to get a look at it.

I'm gonna punch it .020 over just because, throw a new crank in it and obviously new pistons. while it's apart it's going to be acid dipped because I want everything out of the oil passageways...that's what got the rod bearings in the first place, throw a new oil pump in it, new timing chain, I'll rebuild the heads and do a bit of mild porting. it already has a competition cam in it but I may replace it just because the rest is gonna be new, throw it together with a high end gasket set, and then put it back in.

before it goes in, I am going to strip the engine and dash wiring and interior, and bed off, then have the whole truck steam cleaned. paint the engine bay gloss black, and put the motor in. I'm building my own bellhousing for the ax15 so that I can make it fit the factory 86 external slave cylinder because the clutch hydraulic system is all new. steam clean the transmission and np242 transfercase, wire brush them, and paint the trans black to match the motor, but clean/polish the t-case. clean all floor rust (minimal) and undercoat after rustproofing before that all goes in.

need to redo the exhaust manifolds so its easier to remove the transmission should I ever need to.

once it's in and running again (when I installed the camaro 3800 buick v6 I built the wiring as a standalone so I just need 5 plus, one acc. plus, and a few grounds), I will move on to body work on the cab corners then clean/sand/prep the cab. then put the 97 front conversion on with the headlight wiring harness run to it's location.

then decide what to do about doors and interior...I would like a 97 conversion, but cannot use 97 gauges with that because I'm using the 3800, and that also is added expense for aftermarket gauges.

at this point the main chassis will be done, prepped and primed and sanded, and the engine in and running. I will be running an aftermarket in-line fuel pump and retaining the factory fuel tank, albeit a brand new one that I have.

I'll want it running/driving before I delve too far into the rest of the project. but at least that will be progress, and none of that will take all that long...a few weekends.

the 87 will get it's paint job. going to stick with rattle can with clean prep-work and nice clear-coat. the colour is emerald green. finish the rock rails, weld the spider gears front and rear, and finish off the rear bumper and install roll bar. from there, other than getting some 34" mud terrains down the road, it's done. that won't cost more than a couple hundred dollars for everything but tires, since I have the steel already. That will end that project for the prolonged future.

everything else goes, but I will be keeping a spare np231 or two, a spare ax15, and my spare np242, and other miscellaneous parts for my trail repair kit.

Now your talking. :thumbsup:

Believe me, the Wild build has tested my abilities and patience. It takes up both of my garages and I can barely move around in them to get any work done. I was lucky that I found the 86 and was able to get it running so the son could have something to drive. At one point I was working on both of them and not really focusing on what I should have been. I only do what is needed for the 86 now and just work on the Wild build. It's slow, I make costly mistakes, but I love the feeling I get looking at what it will be one day. Even if it is just a dream in my head, it makes me feel that it is worth it.

Take a break from all of them and just get one that you can drive for awhile. Then work on the others at a slow pace. I imagine that they will still be there if you relax a bit.

Keep the Faith.

Oh, and I will be having a hugh garage sale when the Wild build is done. I'll keep the good and hard to find, but everything else will go. That will include the 86.

:cheers:

Now your talking. :thumbsup:

Believe me, the Wild build has tested my abilities and patience. It takes up both of my garages and I can barely move around in them to get any work done. I was lucky that I found the 86 and was able to get it running so the son could have something to drive. At one point I was working on both of them and not really focusing on what I should have been. I only do what is needed for the 86 now and just work on the Wild build. It's slow, I make costly mistakes, but I love the feeling I get looking at what it will be one day. Even if it is just a dream in my head, it makes me feel that it is worth it.

Take a break from all of them and just get one that you can drive for awhile. Then work on the others at a slow pace. I imagine that they will still be there if you relax a bit.

Keep the Faith.

Oh, and I will be having a hugh garage sale when the Wild build is done. I'll keep the good and hard to find, but everything else will go. That will include the 86.

lol. when the 3800 is done, because it's so sentimental to me (it's my first EVERYTHING project. anything done on it was the first time I'd done it, and I was taught by my dad while doing it), it won't see maybe 2000 miles a year. driving it isn't really my plan....sunny days, car shows are about it.

as far as your 86 goes, pm me a price when you get there, and we will work something out. I'm envisioning it as the vessel for my dad's original renault turbo diesel and everything that comes with that. It's a good thing that, at your current pace, that may take awhile :rotfl2:

Just sell and/or junk all the junk and make one puuuuuuurfect unit suited to your tastes w. enough good spare parts on hand to keep it going forever. Having a family of MJs is nice only if you have unlimited quality time to spend on them all and you don't have to waste time earning a living too...... :cheers:

Just sell and/or junk all the junk and make one puuuuuuurfect unit suited to your tastes w. enough good spare parts on hand to keep it going forever. Having a family of MJs is nice only if you have unlimited quality time to spend on them all and you don't have to waste time earning a living too...... :cheers:

lol. well the puuuuuuurfect unit is the 3800. which, you particularly will be happy to know, will be chromed out. it will eventually have home-built bumpers on it similar to ARB styling, but for now chrome chrome chrome. black paint BTW.

I need to keep a wheeling rig though. I don't enjoy smoking every little import I come up against with the 3800 nearly as much as I enjoy wheeling. But I'd cringe wheeling if my wheeling rig were as nice as 89eliminator's every time I took it offroad :rotf:

That's what I like about mine. It's rusty, it looks like a chameleon with all the different color body panels, but if I put another dent in it, it'll blend right in. Another scratch in the paint? What paint? It allows me to challenge myself and my truck off road without having to worry too much about trees or rocks.

Ive been there too, except with air cooled VW's. Cars at my grandmothers house, my parents garage, and anywhere else I could put them. Ive lost more money on that stuff than any of it was worth. I still have 1 car, which I am working on selling, and a small pile of parts that Ive been holding onto to build a rail dune buggy. But even at this point and at my age, I still don't have a place to begin to build one. Ive not done anything to the bug in a few years and have been missing being able to tinker on something... then the MJ came along, and another MJ and now I'm here, contemplating rear axles, spare parts vehicles, lift kits....... :help:

I still want a dune buggy, and a Porsche 550 Spyder replica, and a built MJ and a ....... It just goes on forever, and with as deep into it as you are I can see how it would be overwhealming. Hang in there, we're all behind you!

Just let me know when you are home and I'll swing by. I have some parts for you and you have some for me so lets swap them around. I'm probably interested in more stuff also. All I know is I'm sick of driving my rust bucket and want my MJ to get done. Then maybe I can get the wife off my A$$ about my stuff.

My therapist is recommending a new job or going with my long term disability insurance I have and living on it. So the MJ is it for me, after that I'll buy restored hotrod a a few years down the road from one of the guys I used to work with. I also want to find a clean 74-79 Dodge W150-250 as my winter beater and hauler as soon as I can afford it. I spend many hours looking at the MJ too sore to do much and it drives me crazy. I keep thinking about just giving up on it and buying something else. But I haven't gave up yet. I'm going to try to have the bed ready to pull this weekend and get the dash out so I can quit trying to burn down the house.

I kind of know how you feel, but I wish I had a the chance to start over at your age so I wouldn't be like I am now.

I can help you as m uch as I am able. You have worked too hard to give it up. I think keeping your 2 MJ's and building an Alfa is a great plan for you. Once thats done I think you would like a nice motorcycle too. If you set your goals you will become a happy guy once you start to reach them. It will be great for you to have some cool rides at your age and be able to enjoy knowing you built them. The feeling of pride you'll have once you are done is priceless.

A couple years ago, I was in the same boat with 3.5 CJ's sitting under my carport, a tool shed full of good original fenders, grills, dash's, etc, and a garage with the one CJ I was building. I ended up selling my project for $1200, traded one of the other's for my current MJ, and sold the rest of the stuff so cheap it may as well have been free. Jeep parts aren't worth crap. Now, I can park under my carport, MJ is stripped in the garage, and my tool shed is neatly organized with my MJ project parts on one side, and the other side has all my XJ goodies that are waiting to be installed. It was just a few weeks ago when I did this organizing. I find that keeping everything in a specific spot stored in the order that I'll need it on my project gives me a little more motivation and direction to proceed on what I'm doing. There's always a breaking point, where it's better to just give the stuff away rather than sell it. It's hard to work when you're surrounded by parts you don't need.