Quick bed removal problem.

Yes, I searched, but 'bed' is too common and it won't search for it. But 'bolts' isn't :nuts:

Anyone have a diagram of where the 8 bed bolts are on a swb? I'm not gonna have a lot of light and would like to know where to start.

Also, I saw in another post that the spare tire and bumper have to come off. Really?

Yes, I searched, but 'bed' is too common and it won't search for it. But 'bolts' isn't :nuts:

Anyone have a diagram of where the 8 bed bolts are on a swb? I'm not gonna have a lot of light and would like to know where to start.

Also, I saw in another post that the spare tire and bumper have to come off. Really?

bumper can stay on. spare tire you just need to remove the vertical bolts going into one of the bed's braces. there should be two of them...they're right in front of the rear valance that's behind the bumper

Also found this, but his photos are no longer showing.

he is correct 8 bolts hold the bed to the frame, the only hard one is thedrivers inside the frame next to the brake lines. first remove the one of the bolts from the bracket then loosen the second and swing it out of the way for access. The e-brake has 3 screws and the tank has three hangers that just unbolt. clear all your your wire harness and get a buddy to help lift straight up before moving it out. and that is how you do the bed removal shuffle.

I got the 8 bolts out.... I don't see any more. I looked where you have marked, but I don't see the centermost bolts, the ones right above the wheels. I also can't find a plug for the tailight harness. Is it right above the tank? Tank's all disconnected but I haven't dropped it down yet.

The 4 actual bolts I took out snapped, and the studs came out fine.

I got the 8 bolts out.... I don't see any more. I looked where you have marked, but I don't see the centermost bolts, the ones right above the wheels. I also can't find a plug for the tailight harness. Is it right above the tank? Tank's all disconnected but I haven't dropped it down yet.

The 4 actual bolts I took out snapped, and the studs came out fine.

plug for tail lights would either be under towards the rear, or behind the left tail light.

Yeah I didn't see any plug... one of the POs must've spliced something together at some point.

I'll take a closer look above the wheel, but all the holes up there looked too small to get a socket through.

Is there anything else I'm missing that I'd end up breaking when I pull this off?

Got the first one off. Started gettin a little lightheaded so I'm taking a lunch break.

l_8e4a160b66bc4db0a1f5d525c6416464.jpg

There were only 8 bolts. Biggest problem was I missed the two bolts for the spare tire bracket. I'd taken the two that went into the bed out(they snapped without a second thought) and thought I could wiggle the shaft out. Once I found the two that went into the frame the bed came right off.

Mine had 8 as well, but 10 bed pads. LWB MJ too. The missing ones on mine would have been the 2 red circles closest to the green circles in your picture. I could be wrong though, it's been a month or so since I bolted it in.

So far this thread has addressed most of the questions I was planning on asking when I (attempt to) remove my bed. Is there any chance that someone could take new pics with exactly where the bolts are on the bottom of the bed and on the frame rails? both long bed and short bed. and also post up what you guys used when the factory bolts/studs broke off? and then we could have an official wright up and that would be a Huge help to people (me) in the future.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I know you already have it, but I thought I'd throw this up for the next person looking for it. You can also see the location of all the bed pads.

:cheers:

Keywords: Bed Bolts location removal frame x-member member

Got them swapped. Parts truck is being held on with just the first two, and the DD is... the front two and one of the rear ones.

I'm gonna have to figure out something to get the snapped ones out, and the rear left hole didn't line up, so I couldn't get the stud back in there.

Thought I was done earlier than I was, but went to plug in the tailight harness, and I realized they changed that between 89 and 91.

• 9 months later...

Did anyone find out what type bolts I can use to re mount? Regular carriage bolts would seem insufficient (strength wise) and there's no way hold a smooth head to torque the nuts. Are they hex heads or...?

some of those "pads" look like they have nutserts...or am I just imagining that?

Were those bolts/studs all the same size? What are they, 15mm or? I,m about to start removing an 86 LB. I'm lazy tell me what they are and I won't have to crawl under there but once, I hope. Well make that twice as I'll go under there today with the PB Blaster. Maybe I won't snap as many tomorrow whenI put the torque on em.

Did anyone find out what type bolts I can use to re mount? Regular carriage bolts would seem insufficient (strength wise) and there's no way hold a smooth head to torque the nuts. Are they hex heads or...?

some of those "pads" look like they have nutserts...or am I just imagining that?

Ya know........alot of this info is here........I seen your other post about the bed bolts.

There is a complete section "DIY" that has a ton of info in it........

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11380&view=unread#unread

That should answer your question :D

Oh.......and scroll down a few, and you'll find a complete list that Cherokee composed.

The bed is not installed with 'carriage bolts' there are welded nuts on the bottom of the bed.

Everyone of mine snapped when I took my bed off. I cut them all flush with the bottom side of the bed to clean them up. I then bought 3/8" grade 8 bolts, cut the heads off, and welded them in place on the bed, acting as 8 new studs. A couple were a little crooked, but they worked just fine.