Good CL story.

Geonovast

I love seeing wrong information on CL, especially Jeep stuff. Most common is the misspelling of charakee and commannchee, and the ever-famous 4.0L V6. But this one really cracked me up.

WTB - 86-89 Jeep Comanche 2.5 engines only

Running condition perferably

Low mileage would be appreciated

Call Jeff 1-920-xxx-xxxx

So I emailed him a friendly bit of info to help his search...

"I don't know if you know this already, but 1990 was also

TBI motors. Cherokee motors will

also be the same. Unfortuantly I personally do not

have a motor for it.

If you have a Comanche or just an interest in them, I

invite you to visit http://www.comancheclub.com and join the

forums!"

He sent back...

"Correy,

The Cherokee or any of the 4X4s have the 6 cylinder motors in them. Looking for a 2.5 4 cylinder.

Thanks........."

Not saying everyone should know everything about these, but just the way he said it seemed like he was trying to inform me I was wrong. I got a giggle out of it, I thought you might too.

At a car show, I walked up to a guy & his Javelin, with a huge 871 blower sticking through the hood.

Not exactly my thing, but nicely done.

Then I was surprised to notice the engine was a 304, instead of being a 360,390, or 401.

I didn't want to insult him, but was wondering why throw so much money at a 304, when a 390/401 would've been such a better choice.

Even a 360 would be a huge advantage.

His reply:

"Well, you'll find that the 360's & 390's are actually Ford engines, and the 401 is a factory overbored Chevy 396"

Me : :huh???:

Him "I wanted to build an AMC engine, so I went with the 304".

I thanked him, and walked away. :clapping:

It takes all kinds. :D

The best deals I have found on comanches on CL is when you search for "camanche" A) they have no knowledge of jeeps and B) they think they are just another old vehicle. Which maybe they are but...........

I got mine by searching for Commanche...

"Well, you'll find that the 360's & 390's are actually Ford engines, and the 401 is a factory overbored Chevy 396"

Sounds like money, not brains. Common problem.

There is a lot of TERRIBLE tech floating around. I've heard things that just make me shake me mumble and wander away. Normally it's whenever I'm around a bunch of full-size owners who like mud, for some reason.

Been talkin more to the guy and seems he was fed bad info, tryin to help him through it now.

Isn't the 304/360/401 essentially the same motor with a different bore and respectively better heads? I remember seeing somewhere that the 304/340/360 even used the same crank.

At a car show, I walked up to a guy & his Javelin, with a huge 871 blower sticking through the hood.

Not exactly my thing, but nicely done.

Then I was surprised to notice the engine was a 304, instead of being a 360,390, or 401.

I didn't want to insult him, but was wondering why throw so much money at a 304, when a 390/401 would've been such a better choice.

Even a 360 would be a huge advantage.

His reply:

its frustrating isn't it. didn't the 304 start out with like 150 hp or so, less than the 4.2 and 4.0. but hey, great starting point

i love the few times i walk into my neighborhood "idiot zone" and the guys behind the counter are trying to fix the customer's cars. some of the stuff i've heard is unreal. i almost start to say something, and then i realize, no way, i'm staying out of this retard session.

edit: worse than i thought

AMC 304 V8

Bore x Stroke 3.75" x 3.44"

Displacement 304(4.98L)

Compression Ratio 8.4:1

Horsepower (net) 125@3200

Torque (net) 220@2400

Main Bearings 5

Valve Configuration OHV

Fuel 2bbl

The '79 304 saw a significant drop in horse power from previous years.

AMC 304 V8

Bore x Stroke 3.75" x 3.44"

Displacement 304(4.98L)

Compression Ratio 8.4:1

Horsepower (net) 130@4200

Torque (net) 245@2500

Main Bearings 5

Valve Configuration OHV

Fuel 2bbl

its frustrating isn't it. didn't the 304 start out with like 150 hp or so, less than the 4.2 and 4.0. but hey, great starting point

304's are OK, but bolting a blower to one, because someone told you 360-401's aren't AMC engines is :nuts:

They're all the same basic blocks:

360's are easier to find than 304's & starting with one would give him more power (more cubes) & better breathing (bigger valves & bigger piston cross section), without costing an extra dime to build.

A 390/401 = more cubes, and the steel crank & rods will handle the boost better than a 304/360's cast crank & rods.

Sad so so sad... :shake:

His reply:

In addition to the V6 comment...this was a funny snip as well...

vehicle uses no fluids at all!

A buddy of mine just called a couple hours ago. He was talking about ordering from Rusty's, and I advised him against it. He had already ordered. He used the part selector on their webpage and ordered top plates for a Ford 8.8, got them in a reasonable time (which is rare) and they don't fit. He called them and talked to a guy (not Rusty or Zach) and he went out and measured it with some expensive caliper (he's a machinist) and told the guy the measurement, and that his part was wrong, and the guy said "well, you need a pretty accurate measuring tool"....he said "I already told you, I'm a 'freakin' machinist! I'm using a caliper! The guy told him that they didn't fit because it was an explorer axle, and the 8.8 that they put in jeeps has thinner tubes! "

8.25 was one of the other choices, but he ordered for the 8.8. The guy at the shop actually told him that the Ford 8.8 came in some jeeps...

• 2 weeks later...