Ticking while Accelerating, but not in Park.

What would cause a light ticking right near my feet while accelerating, but when I rev the engine in park or neutral, the tick is gone. Also when I coast in gear there is no ticking, only accelerating in Drive.

This started yesterday after I floored it hard to get into traffic.

88 4.0, AW4, 231.

If the front axle has the CAD, and the CAD is functioning properly, and the t-case shifter linkage is properly aligned (meaning it's actually in 2wd, not hanging on to 4wd), then the front driveshaft should not be turning when in 2wd. :D

could be a slight leak in the exhaust manifold....

It would DEFINITELY do it in park if this were the case. I think it is probably a rear driveshaft ujoint or front axle shaft ujoint since your jeep should have a CAD, if the CAD is not working, then it could be one of the ujoints in the front driveshaft, a bad CV centering yoke, or having twisting play in the front driveshaft splines.

If the front axle has the CAD, and the CAD is functioning properly, and the t-case shifter linkage is properly aligned (meaning it's actually in 2wd, not hanging on to 4wd), then the front driveshaft should not be turning when in 2wd. :D

It's not being forced to turn. But it can. The shafts in the bearings that are attached to the chain are still turning, so there is a minute frictional connection between the T-case output and the front DS. The outer shafts in the front axle are also turning, and all the components are still frictionally connected, so with everything spinning at hundreds, if not thousands of RPMs, the front DS has a very good chance of spinning. I seriously doubt the spiders in the front diff can take that much abuse. If the front DS didn't spin at all, that means the middle shaft in the front axle would have to be spinning backwards at the same speed everything else is going forward.

Or this could all be a bunch of hooey, since I personally don't have the ability to mount a camera to the bottom of my truck to check to see if it spins in 2wd, as my 4x4 is a NON- CAD. This is just what makes sense in the dangerous place of my mind.

Ok guys. Ill try to narrow it down more, from what I observed today.

It only happens in gear, with the engine over 1500rpms and accelerating.

If I am cruising along, put the trans in neutral and rev, the ticking is gone.

If I am cruising in OD (45+mph) there is a softer constant tick.

If I am under 45 and push the engine past 3500 rpms, the noise will eventually fade away.

The noise is right below my feet, and is audible from outside the cab.

It sounds like a sticky lifter, but again, below my feet.

The sound does not get louder or softer with the engine temp.

I think I can rule out a u joint.

Could it still be flywheel bolts? If so, how do I check those?

Flexplate to Converter bolts you can check by pulling off the inspection cover.

Flexplate to Crank bolts, tranny has to come out.

I would drop the front shaft off and take it for a drive to see if the ticking is still there.

Ok guys. Ill try to narrow it down more, from what I observed today.

It only happens in gear, with the engine over 1500rpms and accelerating.

If I am cruising along, put the trans in neutral and rev, the ticking is gone.

If I am cruising in OD (45+mph) there is a softer constant tick.

If I am under 45 and push the engine past 3500 rpms, the noise will eventually fade away.

The noise is right below my feet, and is audible from outside the cab.

It sounds like a sticky lifter, but again, below my feet.

The sound does not get louder or softer with the engine temp.

I think I can rule out a u joint.

Could it still be flywheel bolts? If so, how do I check those?

:dunno: Does your trans have a lock-up torque converter?

Could it be converter or trans front pump noise? Did you pull the sheet metal cover off bell housing? Check fluids and diff oil.

Exhaust check valve thingy for air injection emmissions system?