Metal coolant pressure bottle

Today I blew the 3rd pressure bottle cap in 4 months on the MJ. I have determined that the threads on the bottle are probably toast allowing the caps to pop off. Does anyone know where I and get one of the metal bottles? I'd like to upgrade while I am doing the work anyway and do not want to deal with this again.

The one I've been using is a Moroso, which I get from Summit Racing. Since I last bought one, though, someone has come out with a nifty one that's specifically designed to replace the Renix XJ bottle. It's been posted here a couple of times or more. Somebody must have it bookmarked.

The expansion bottle from a 1989 2.5 works good with the Macs tank to make an open system. I have a cone filter intake setup on my truck, don't know if it will fit with the stock air box.

:cheers:

Can i just plug in that expansion tank and have it work? Or do I need to get any other parts. It looks like that is just an expansion tank for a closed system that is just metal instead of plastic. Or does this tank convert it to an open system without any other parts?

Can i just plug in that expansion tank and have it work? Or do I need to get any other parts. It looks like that is just an expansion tank for a closed system that is just metal instead of plastic. Or does this tank convert it to an open system without any other parts?

The Macs tank will essentially make it an open system, as it uses a radiator cap, and will require that you install an overflow bottle as well.

I'm not quite ready to do that yet. I ordered one thinking that it would be a direct bolt in swap. Maybe I should cancel my order and just go with a plastic one. I just want to keep stock cooling and it doesn't look like this setup will do that.

EDIT: Just called them. They said that it does keep the closed system and the cap only releases pressure if the system gets way over pressurized. They said that I would not need an overflow bottle.

I'm not quite ready to do that yet. I ordered one thinking that it would be a direct bolt in swap. Maybe I should cancel my order and just go with a plastic one. I just want to keep stock cooling and it doesn't look like this setup will do that.

It will be a stock set-up, but just have a metal can. You don't have to have an over flow just a tube pointed down to let fluid out if it needs to escape.

An overflow bottle should be used with these tanks, though. It's not cool to just run a tube to the ground and be dumping coolant out like that. This tank creates an open system that will have overflow needing to be recovered.

The Macs tank is a replacement for your plastic bottle, but if I remember right, you have to get some fittings from a hardware store to adapt the hoses to the metal tank.

That's the one. It's ready to go, but you DO need an overflow catch bottle. First because coolant is toxic and should not be dumped on the ground, and second because the system WILL push coolant out when hot, and you need to provide a way to suck that coolant back in as the system cools down. You can buy catch bottles for under 10 bucks at the parts chains, it isn't a big deal.

How do I run a catch bottle, Do I need a hole in the top for the entry and a hole in the bottom for an Exit of coolant. I don't know much about cooling systems, can somebody walk me through this? I will need to get a catch bottle, and then how and where do I hook it up.

Will this thing work for a catch bottle?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=DOR&MfrPartNumber=603001&CategoryCode=3052

Does it need to be mounted above the pressure bottle?

Also, a little bit confused because when I called this morning they said it uses a pressure cap that only releases pressure when it exceeds 25psi or so. They said that it would keep the cooling system a closed system. Either way I will figure it out and it will be cool. 8)

I have the Mac's tank and a Napa overflow bottle in mine. Kinda have a little write-up on it here -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8051&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=165= . I did not need any special fittings to install mine. Eagle is correct - the tank will push out fluid when hot. Not sure why it doesn't act like a closed system :dunno: . I would have gotten the open radiator, if they had had them in stock, looking back on it now. It does look nice - but it has burned me on a few occasions. I used PIKE and Chico's write-ups to get mine set up <- thanks guys :cheers:. Be sure to search their posts too - Rich

Also, a little bit confused because when I called this morning they said it uses a pressure cap that only releases pressure when it exceeds 25psi or so.

YIKES! NO!!! :doh:

About 13 psi would be about right, IIRC. 25 psi will explode your radiator if it has any weak spots at all.