SOA, how much lift?

so I'm thinkin of doin a soa on my MJ i got about a month ago. it has a 2" now. gonna put 3" coils with the pucks in front, and rubi LCA. want a better ride so was gonna do a spring over and remove the flat overload leaf. so I'm wondering if I'm gonna need a 1" shackle with the soa or just find a stock set to put on to match the front. thanks for the help.

so I'm thinkin of doin a soa on my MJ i got about a month ago. it has a 2" now. gonna put 3" coils with the pucks in front, and rubi LCA. want a better ride so was gonna do a spring over and remove the flat overload leaf. so I'm wondering if I'm gonna need a 1" shackle with the soa or just find a stock set to put on to match the front. thanks for the help.

SOA with your 2" leafs will give you about 7.5" of rear lift. Thats a LOT! If you want to match your front (assuming about 4") you'll really need different leafs for the rear.

Sticking with your wish for a better ride .... you could consider just buying a nice set of 4" SUA leafs.

No, I just pulled the linkage off, Mvusse is right, I need to zip tie it up, I forgot about that. Strangely, I haven't noticed any negative change in brake performance, it actually seems a bit better with the SS lines. :dunno:

i just plan on runnin the stock leaves in back. another reason i was gonna remove the flat leaf was for a little more flex. so did you just reuse your factory u bolt plate/shock mount? how much lift are your shocks for? thanks for the pics.

yeah, I reused the stock shock mount/ubolt plate, and from what Ive seen so far, they will give plenty of travel and lots of flex. The shocks are Monroe 31000 series, I actually think they are shorter than stock, but not completely sure, I chose them from this table: http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/MJRearShock.htm

For the front I am still using my 2" lift shocks until I get my UCA's installed so that I can adjust my caster w/o messing up my pinion angle. I will install the 4.5" long travels after that because with the negative caster I have right now if I got more flex it would ram the DS into my already damaged tcase.

For SOA take out any AAL you have, I didn't and now I have 10" in the back and only 5" in the front. it should give you between 5"-7" with stock leafs.

Mine winds up with 9" of lift SOA. I'm redoing the mounts and using a shackle a desert truck would to lower it some too.

I also am picking up some Rubicon Express 4" leaf springs for the front and will be sinking the mounts as much as I can to keep it low. 7" of lift or less would be great. At least I'll be full width.

i just plan on runnin the stock leaves in back. another reason i was gonna remove the flat leaf was for a little more flex.

Your overload won't be the limiting factor. Your shocks will. After you solve that issue, your fenders will. After that... well, if you need more flex than that you might want to think about linking the rear. :D

This is my stuff with the stock shock mount and the stock 2wd shocks.

this is how they are mounted:

This is what I'm about to be running: :D

here is how mine sits. soa on stock leafs.4" springs with 2" spacer up front and 36" tsl's i'm not sure how much lift the soa gave it though as it was already done when i got it. it also had 2" lift blocks in the back then but i chunked those when i put the 8.8 in. here is a flax shot when i had 34" ltb's on it

As already stated, leave the overload spring in there. There is no benefit to removing it. I would definitely not advise using springs & spacers in the front...just get some 6" springs that are matched up with a good long-arm lift kit and do it right. :cheers:

Those are completely stock leaf packs, so I agree that you should leave them alone and not take the overload leaf out.

Those shackles look about the same length as mine. Going back to stock shackles should drop you down an inch to an inch and a half.

Depending on what perches you will use, SOA will move you up about 5.5" from where it is at now, or 4" to 4.5" if you move to stock shackles in the process.