Different Headlights?

What kinda options are there out there for the MJ as far as headlight upgrades? A freind of mine upgraded from sealed glass beams in his Ranger to the lenses that you can swap the bulbs out instead of the whole glass beam. They used to sell them in Autozone or Advance but don't carry them anymore. Anybody know what they call those light kits or where to get them?

-Cody

Best upgrade I can think of is adding in a relay to bypass the sucky MJ wire harness. :thumbsup: I don't seem to have saved the link to that writeup :hmm: , so hopefully someone else will chime in with it.

Just grab a pair of 6054HO sealed beams at Autozone.

Stock 6054's have 35 watt low beams and 55 watt high beams. :nuts:

The 6054HO's have 55 watt low beams and 65 watt high beams and are DOT approved. They are much brighter. :brows:

Combine the 6054HO's with the upgraded wiring Pete talked about and you will have great headlights without blinding other drivers. :chillin: jamminz.gif

Thanks for all the options guys, when I've got the money to do it I'm gonna redo the harness first thing, may do it in moms XJ while I'm at it. After that I think the H4-conversions would come after, and I've got an H.I.D. kit that I was runnin in my Ranger setting on my desk so I think they'll get put in the mix too. After that I'll be lookin for a set of fogs that I can either turn them into or already are an H.I.D. setup. :yes: Yeah, I like to blind people just alittle bit......not really I just like to be able to see, and for people to see me.

-Cody

Yeah, I like to blind people just alittle bit......not really I just like to be able to see, and for people to see me. -Cody

"People" will definitely see you when the cop you blind pulls you over over or you get in a head-on w. a 70+ year old lady who couldn't see. Upgrade your lights with the relay harness and a nice set of E-codes or whatever, but make sure they don't blind folks. 8)

Best upgrade I can think of is adding in a relay to bypass the sucky MJ wire harness. :thumbsup: I don't seem to have saved the link to that writeup :hmm: , so hopefully someone else will chime in with it.

Does anyone sell that type of thing Pre-Wired... like plug and play wiring harness upgrade?

Thanks for all the options guys, when I've got the money to do it I'm gonna redo the harness first thing, may do it in moms XJ while I'm at it. After that I think the H4-conversions would come after, and I've got an H.I.D. kit that I was runnin in my Ranger setting on my desk so I think they'll get put in the mix too. After that I'll be lookin for a set of fogs that I can either turn them into or already are an H.I.D. setup. :yes: Yeah, I like to blind people just alittle bit......not really I just like to be able to see, and for people to see me.

-Cody

Those H4s were NOT made for HIDs. Don't just throw some in and think everything is gravy. You will blind people with those, it's a safety hazard. If you want HIDs, you have to buck up and get the actual kit.

Does anyone sell that type of thing Pre-Wired... like plug and play wiring harness upgrade?

Yup... eAutoworks has a "Plug and Play " kit for about $20 . I used it , but modified the battery to relay conections with 12ga / in-line 30 amp fuse wires , works great :thumbsup:

Those H4s were NOT made for HIDs. Don't just throw some in and think everything is gravy. You will blind people with those, it's a safety hazard. If you want HIDs, you have to buck up and get the actual kit.

I know, I'm not gonna put them in just to go blind people, I'm not a moron yall. I've found a set of replacement lenses that say they are a projector style setup. The full projector lens setup inside the conversion lens, so it should direct the light where it needs to go instead of just a lot of bright blinding light going everywhere. When I get it figured out I'll let yall know about it.

-Cody

I know, I'm not gonna put them in just to go blind people, I'm not a moron yall. I've found a set of replacement lenses that say they are a projector style setup. The full projector lens setup inside the conversion lens, so it should direct the light where it needs to go instead of just a lot of bright blinding light going everywhere. When I get it figured out I'll let yall know about it.

-Cody

If you are talking about the lenses that you can get on ebay for about $20; I bought a set of those back in the day for research purposes. Pile of crap, it's just half a projector lens attached to the inside of the housing with a couple of strips of tin. It's not sealed, so light can get out on every side. I promptly threw those in the trash. There is only one company that makes ACTUAL HID projectors for our rigs, and it's not cheap, $1,000. Trust me on this. I embarked on this project many years ago. I looked at every option. Back then all there were was Sylvania Xenarcs, and they had been discontinued. I looked for a solid year before I found a set for sale. They cost $1,000 retail back then, so I jumped at the used set for $500. Now there is an actual projector kit out there, but the price is right on par. Let me stress again that there is no replacement housing out there you can just buy that will properly and safely take a HID light.

XP6054-1.JPG

http://www.driftnamiperformance.com/Headlight_Conversion_p/sdt-lhp7x6.htm

These are the ones that I found, like I said I'm tryin to research them to see if they are worth anything or not. They say that they are SAE/DOT approved, but the company is also in Canada, so I'm not sure if they'll be ok here. I'm sending them an email asking if the cone covers the whole bulb or not. They look the same about the as the ones you have a pic of, but I'm hopeing that these are a better "non horrible glare/blinding" version ;) .

-Cody

Yeah, those are the cheap Ebay ones. You can even tell from the picture that the lens does not go all the way back to the housing. It's essentially just floating out there. If you look close, you can see the two strips of metal, off the top and bottom, that tether it in there.

The picture I posted is of the $1,000 projector kit.

Yeah, those are the cheap Ebay ones. You can even tell from the picture that the lens does not go all the way back to the housing. It's essentially just floating out there. If you look close, you can see the two strips off metal, off the top and bottom, that tether it in there.

The picture I posted is of the $1,000 projector kit.

:doh: , crap I don't have the money for anything like that......guess this means H4 conversions with the H-4 bulbs and upgrading the harness on my truck and call it a day.....well that and some nice fog lights...I miss my foglights my Ranger had.

On the other hand it should be kinda fun to see what that company says about their lights and how "great" they are.

-Cody

as i told cody. a friend of mine here sells them. bruce @ 5417412308. they are not 1000$

check him out. he is a honest guy!!!!!!!!! :drool: :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of the XP6054 myself. They stick out like torpedos, a bit ridiculous looking. If you can still pick up the X6054, I'd be all over that.

as i told cody. a friend of mine here sells them. bruce @ 5417412308. they are not 1000$

check him out. he is a honest guy!!!!!!!!! :drool: :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of the XP6054 myself. They stick out like torpedos, a bit ridiculous looking. If you can still pick up the X6054, I'd be all over that.

OSRAM Sylvania XENARC HID's X6054 are available here

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/HID-Headlights-x6054.htm

or

http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=270

X6054hid.jpg

I also see the Sylvania Silverstar H6054ST sealed beams now have 60 watts of low beam power and 70 watts of high beam power and are still DOT approved.

:cheers:

these look kind of interesting.

http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=330

h6054_med.jpg

6054 (6" x 8" Clear Lens Multi Reflector or Hybrid Projecotr)- Each $15.00

The 6" x 8" rectangular will replace sealed beam size 6052, H6052, H6054 or HP6054.

Sealed beam headlight replacements using replaceable H4 halogen bulbs (also available HID headlights).

*All sealed beam sizes (4656, 5006, 6024, & 6054) include Super White H4/9003 halogen bulb (90/100 watt) and city (parking) light.

New updated optic design on these sealed beams are result in better beam pattern

Available in new free form/multi reflector types and projector.

Using a sealed beam replacement allows use of different color and wattage H4 (aka 9003/HB2) bulbs, plus the ease and cost savings in replacing just the bulb. *note: other H4/9003 bulbs available separately

I wonder if that is a glass lens?

For $15.00 with a 80/90 watt bulb super white bulb they better have a good pattern so oncoming traffic isn't blinded.

What do you think of these bulbs?

http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=159

xenon_plasmsmall.jpg

Xenon Plazma- (Super White)- 80/100W- Replacement bulb pair pack.

I have seen these before and ther are very white. I wonder how long they last.