I HATE CPS!!!!

ok so i couldnt figure out why my comanche wasnt starting, then after learning a thing or two here, i realized it was the CPS, went got me a new one and as I was taking out the old one when i figured out why it wasnt working, stupid me put it on backwards and used a different bolt that doesnt work for where its suppose to bolt in. So what i need to know is does anybody know what size bolts hold in the CPS to the bell housing? and also anybody have and good advice or tips to put it in, turning a wrench a sixteenth of a turn sucks

To more easily remove & replace the CPS use a floor jack to support your transmission cross member, remove the two bolts & two studs (replace those with bolts if you break one), then lower the transmission cross member by about 1-2 inches. This will give you enough room to get your hands & tools in for the CPS work. (Especially if you have big hands!)

yeahthat.gif

But I've dropped the tranny down as far as I can......5-6" :D

The bolts are a "shoulder" type bolt, I got some loose ones, and need to get to Fastenal to find out what size and stock # they are :hmm:

I get about 3-4 feet of extensions and one of them knuckles (Like a U-joint, universal joint) and go past the T/C and use a ratchet up there.

This one requires a helper while breaking them loose you need someone to hold the extension near the bolt so it does not pop off the head.

I have changed 3 of them that way. First one I changed took a couple of hours :fs1: (I have big hands), second and third too 40 minutes. That includes driving to advanced and back!

I do NOT drop the tranny and t/c sounds like a lot of work. 8 less bolts I have to take out. :D

buy the screws from the dealer? can't i just use any screws, i mean i already have the new CPS, i just lost the screws when i replaced my clutch and had the tranny unbolted for a month, i just need to know the dimensions of the screw and thread pattern that i need

buy the screws from the dealer? can't i just use any screws, i mean i already have the new CPS, i just lost the screws when i replaced my clutch and had the tranny unbolted for a month, i just need to know the dimensions of the screw and thread pattern that i need
Nope...as stated above, you MUST get the right ones from the dealership in order to make it seat properly. If you don't, you may get lucky and get it in the right position, but it's not likely. Even if you do, it probably won't stay and you will be stuck with a non-running truck again. Don't risk it...do it right and you will be thankful. :cheers:

The Chrysler part number is 6503520

That should be a bolt & washer combo...and, obviously, you need two. :thumbsup:

Nope...as stated above, you MUST get the right ones from the dealership in order to make it seat properly. If you don't, you may get lucky and get it in the right position, but it's not likely. Even if you do, it probably won't stay and you will be stuck with a non-running truck again. Don't risk it...do it right and you will be thankful. :cheers:

The Chrysler part number is 6503520

That should be a bolt & washer combo...and, obviously, you need two. :thumbsup:

alright man, thanks alot guess I'm going to make a trip to the dealership tomorrow.

thanks everyone for your input

The 2.5 and the 4.0 use the same CPS bolts. I usally get them from the junkyard for nothing, along with other hardware that nobody ever seems to want, until they can't find theirs. I tend to collect these bolts and throttlebody bolts, bumper bolts and other such like the IRS collects back taxes. :D