Those D@mn Interior Lights...

They were made in France, a long time ago. Probably why they were hard to find. I just took mine out and refurbed them, they hadn't worked since I bought the MJ and I figured the bulbs were burnt out. Turns out I didn't bother checking the fuse and that's all it was. They did require a little cleaning, the roller wheel on each was pretty corroded. A good quick easy fix for grungy electrical connections is a simple pencil eraser. Works great. I even rebuilt the tabs that the previous owner had broken off. It sure is nice to have light in the cab these days. I didn't know they rocked into other positions either, that was a neat discovery.

I found some in a mj at a junkyard. Got them for $10. Replaced the bulbs and the worked.

That is an awesome find 89! :thumbsup: I couldn't find anything locally...apparently, MJ owners have discovered the rarity of these lights and are stripping them whenever they can. Oh well...at least I didn't pay $100.00 like that guy on eBay that was mentioned in an earlier thread. image_209027.gif

Thanks for listening to my griping!

:cheers:

V/R

Paul

I was thinking of replacing mine with XJ dome lights, the ones with the reading lights built in. Stupid things keep falling out and only one works in one position...sometimes.

I don't think the ones in my 4.0 work at all...

"Ladybird is NOT a racist!" - HA, I finally saw that episode...now I understand.

I was thinking of replacing mine with XJ dome lights, the ones with the reading lights built in. Stupid things keep falling out and only one works in one position...sometimes.

I don't think the ones in my 4.0 work at all...

"Ladybird is NOT a racist!" - HA, I finally saw that episode...now I understand.

I have seen some awesome aftermarket mods on this forum courtesy of hornbrod and BLHTAZ and if these allegedly "OEM" (Renault) lights fail me in any iota of the install, I will definitely follow their path. This is a last-ditch effort to stay OEM...

V/R

Paul...

They were made in France, a long time ago. Probably why they were hard to find. I just took mine out and refurbed them, they hadn't worked since I bought the MJ and I figured the bulbs were burnt out. Turns out I didn't bother checking the fuse and that's all it was. They did require a little cleaning, the roller wheel on each was pretty corroded. A good quick easy fix for grungy electrical connections is a simple pencil eraser. Works great. I even rebuilt the tabs that the previous owner had broken off. It sure is nice to have light in the cab these days. I didn't know they rocked into other positions either, that was a neat discovery.

Ibby Baby, I'd like to see a write up on how you rebuilt the tabs. Being that they are so fragile and it's the most common problem with them, I'm sure that would be a DIY we'd all like to see! :popcorn:

uhm.

not to worry you.

but it looks to me like the plastic clips on the one in the image are broken off on the right side.

if that's the case, ask for your money back. I can provide a picture of a good set for you for proof.

what's wrong with the ones you have now? are the clips broken? or they just don't work?

if they just don't work, it's pretty easy to make them work. pop the lens out, wire brush the connections, and use a small file on them for added security.

then stainless steel the chrome trim ring, and clean the inside of the lens.

uhm. not to worry you. but it looks to me like the plastic clips on the one in the image are broken off on the right side. if that's the case, ask for your money back. I can provide a picture of a good set for you for proof. what's wrong with the ones you have now? are the clips broken? or they just don't work? if they just don't work, it's pretty easy to make them work. pop the lens out, wire brush the connections, and use a small file on them for added security. then stainless steel the chrome trim ring, and clean the inside of the lens.

"uhm" the ones I have are missing parts. That image came from googling "Comanche Dome Light" and it is NOT the lights that I am receiving. It is someone elses eBay sale/purchase. Nice detail pointing out that which you allege is broken, but that is not the light/s that I purchased. I hope that was not a chop-busting attempt...

V/R

:beerhead:

Paul

"uhm" the ones I have are missing parts. That image came from googling "Comanche Dome Light" and it is NOT the lights that I am receiving. It is someone elses eBay sale/purchase. Nice detail pointing out that which you allege is broken, but that is not the light/s that I purchased. I hope that was not a chop-busting attempt...

V/R

:beerhead:

Paul

dude, I thought it was a pic of the light you were getting. simple attempt to keep you from getting screwed and ending up with the same part you have, in the same shape. not to mention that I've refurbished around 10 sets of these and scrapped twice that many SETS because of that exact breaking issue. I went by a picture supplied, on knowledge I have.

trying to help, not trying to be a fool. I'm sorry that I tried to help.

One day I may get around to fixing some of these. :redX:

I went through all of them just plugging them into the Mild build to try and find one good one. :shake:

Oh and thats not all of them. I have another 3 sets plus the set in the 86. :D

I have seen some awesome aftermarket mods on this forum courtesy of hornbrod and BLHTAZ and if these allegedly "OEM" (Renault) lights fail me in any iota of the install, I will definitely follow their path. This is a last-ditch effort to stay OEM...

I went with the ones from Advanced and the were simple to install. I will say that they are not terribly bright, but they work better then the old ones- which did not work at all.

:hijack: I found a set in the Rezyard,I didn't want to pull them right away bc I was afraid of breaking them,didn't know what would break if I did (tabs maybe?) so how should I attempt to get them out wo messing them up?

Remove the side panel, depress the tabs (be careful, they might be brittle) and pull them out from behind.