3rd Brake Light Ideas

I have been a little paranoid about being rear-ended after losing my tail lights to a faulty fuse block - yep, it's fixed now ;) . I saw a full size PU with a strip of LED's below the tailgate {in the gap between it and the bumper}. It only came on when he hit the brakes, which I liked. It did also flash with the turn signals - which I did not like. I am not a huge fan of how they look, but I could live with it just coming on when I hit the brakes to end my paranoia. Anyone use these, or any other ideas on a 3rd brake light of some sort? :popcorn:

I've been running one of Harbor Freight's cheap receiver brake lights. It's broken now -- a state cop tried to help when the engine died in the middle of an intersection, and he neatly put his push bar right on the lens. Can't fault him, though -- we had to get the truck out of the road, and the whole thing only cost $4.99.

Price went up: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=44039

44039.gif

Also available in LED: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=92043

92043.gif

Mine is wired to the trailer wiring and also blinks with the right turn signal, but you could wire it back to the switch on the brake pedal and have it always work with the brakes, independent of the turn signals and flashers.

Rich, in order to install third brake light in our rigs (unless you have the towing package wiring for a trailer), you'll need to get a logic module so you can easily wire directly off the rear brakes lights. If you don't, the third brake light will flash with the turn signals. If you don't use the module, the only alternative is to wire your third brake light directly to the brake pedal switch, a PITA.

The logic madules are cheap and can be had at JC Whitney's HERE.

Rich, in order to install third brake light in our rigs (unless you have the towing package wiring for a trailer), you'll need to get a logic module so you can easily wire directly off the rear brakes lights. If you don't, the third brake light will flash with the turn signals. If you don't use the module, the only alternative is to wire your third brake light directly to the brake pedal switch, a PITA.

The logic madules are cheap and can be had at JC Whitney's HERE.

Thanks for the link - I was wondering about how to solve that problem myself. However...there are three different items on that page...the main difference that I see is that the first one is for vehicles without seperate circuits for turn signals and brake lights. Can you advise which one is the correct choice?

I've been running one of Harbor Freight's cheap receiver brake lights.

That would be perfect, but I had to use the hitch hole for the license plate (ProtoFab rear bumper :rant: )

The logic modules are cheap and can be had at JC Whitney's HERE.

Thanks Don :thumbsup: - I just saved that in my Favorites.

Rich, I've been thinking about this lately too, so keep as posted...........as you always do.

I was thinking of trying to mod my cargo light (can't remember if you have one) and have a combo lens up there with brake and cargo.

Don, where do you hook up this logic circuit? Is my idea a reasonably done mod?

I was thinking of trying to mod my cargo light (can't remember if you have one) and have a combo lens up there with brake and cargo.

Rub it in Wahoo - rub it in :fool: . Not one of the lucky few to have that option.

LMAO, well guess what, the factory wiring is up there already so throw a WTB on the classifieds and maybe you could be cool like me! Well, you could TRY :clapping:

Hey Cherokee, so to clarify, do you no longer have a functional cargo light? i.e. your mod turned it INTO a 3rd brake light only?

Rub it in Wahoo - rub it in :fool: . Not one of the lucky few to have that option.

don't feel bad, i can't make a third brake light up there either. Well thats only because my factory rollbar would prevent anyone from seeing it anyway. Sorry, i couldent resist. are those lights inder the tailgate universal? or would we have to somehow find one that would just kinda fit?

Rich, I've been thinking about this lately too, so keep as posted...........as you always do.

Good idea I think Wahoo. You could mod the cargo light with a dual filament bulb socket; use one for the original purpose and the other for the 3rd brake light. Since the cargo light is in the cab so to speak, it would be easy to run a new wire and tap off the brake pedal switch for the additional bulb filament and you wouldn't need the logic module. I have a wiring diagram in MS Power Point if you need though for the 3rd brake light. :D

Good idea I think Wahoo. You could mod the cargo light with a dual filament bulb socket; use one for the original purpose and the other for the 3rd brake light. Since the cargo light is in the cab so to speak, it would be easy to run a new wire and tap off the brake pedal switch for the additional bulb filament and you wouldn't need the logic module. I have a wiring diagram in MS Power Point if you need though for the 3rd brake light. :D

Hmmm, may have to put some thought in to this one. But you said wiring in to the brake pedal switch is a PITA?

FWIW, I use one of these on my bike helmet. The transmitter bulb replaces the original tail light bulb and you put the receiver light (third brake light) wherever you want. Brake light comes on transmits signal to the receiver light and it activates too. You could use several if you wanted. The down side is the receivers are run on a battery pack but I've found they'll do a good 9 months before they need fresh batteries image_209027.gif

http://www.ridesafer.com/Wireless_Helmet_Brake_Light_p/w3bl01.htm

Theres a real nice third brake light on the back of late model chevy astro vans. Ive used these sucessfully, they are not quite a foot long, have a slightly radiused base front to back, and would probably look good up at the back of the cab. Any JY should have these for little or nothing.

I did a lot of searching in the JY for a third brake light. The problem with most other vehicles is that they are inset into the cab which would require a large hole to be cut into the truck. I'm not for that so in my search I finally found a flush mount that will only require three holes to be drilled(two for the screws and one for the wiring pigtail). It is off a 98 or 99 nissan frontier. It is a one piece unit and has 6 bulbs in it. The two screws holds it to the cab and when removed, you can pull it away to get to a cover that allows access to the bulbs.

The 01 and up are a little different and have the cargo light incorporated on the ends but, from what I can tell, the top has a notch which if put on our trucks, would allow water to get in. I haven't seen the one that I got with the cargo light but it may be an option. I plan on going with an under the bedrail lighting system for the cargo area so this one will be just fine for me. That is if I don't find something better. I also pulled the wiring harness all the way to under the dash so I could wire it directly to the brake switch.

Side note: If anyone works at a nissan dealer, I would love to know the cost of one of these new. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

You could find a 3rd brake light from a 95 Dakota tailgate and mold it in.

3nd3k23mbZZZZZZZZZ92db3c2b8e60cd71fef.jpg

I like that :clapping: . I will have to look for one of those at the JY. This is what the truck I saw had on it -> http://www.pickupspecialties.com/LED_li ... te_bar.htm

Before I go cutting into my tailgate, I think am going to give this a try since I need to illuminate the license anyways. A Lighted license bracket with a separate third brake light built in->

http://www.performanceonline.com/store/ ... dpi=517407

Small update - My brake lights are on the fritz again :fs1: :headpop: . So I was messing around with everything - unplugging, re-plugging, wiggling wires, etc. Long story short, the brake light switch connector was melted. So if I hit a good bump - no brakes, another good bump - back on. I am going to the JY to pick up a replacement, and then I will solder that one in. Guy on EBay still has not returned my email about what exactly the chrome framed license holder is made of. I don’t want chrome plastic. Sorry Don, I am going to paint over the chrome :oops: