Dog chasing the MJ

james750

I live on about a 2 1/2 acre property up in the mountains. We have an invisible electric fence to keep our dog on the property during the day. A part the fence goes across our driveway. A habit that the dog has recently developed is that when I leave the garage in the MJ he will chase and bite at the front of the tires until I get past the fence line. He only does this for the MJ, not any of the other XJ's or our F250. Anyone else have a problem like this? Anybody have any ideas on how to get him to stop this behavior? I've been getting very worried that he will get hurt or killed if these activities keep up. I have even gone to the extents of getting out of the car and trying to get him to lay down until I get out of the driveway; but as soon as the door closes he's back to circling and chasing the truck. :doh:

A friend of mines german shepard used to do this as well, but it was any vehicle with disc brakes. He actually popped a few tires. Possibly the meanest dog I ever met. Knew him for 6 years and I still wouldn't get out of the car unless someone came out of the house first.

We always assumed that the dics brakes were emitting some sound frequency that he did not like.

I bet he only bits at one front tire and thats the one that has a sticking claiper.... it makes a high squeel noise that only the dog can hear and drives him nuts.. had this happen on a moter cycle one time. fixed the caliper and no more dog tring to bit the front tire... I know it sounds silly but see if the caliper is sticking or the pads need to be changed.... could just be some dirt o it thats making it squeel..

mine chases any and all tires. he's an australian shepherd/blue heeler mix.

I don't care. if he vets run over, it's his fault. we've tried almost anything including behavioral training to get him to stop. it doesn't help, and at this point we're OK with him getting run over if he does.

lol, that sounds mean. we usually try and keep him inside when we're gonna leave, but can't always do that.

Try a SUPERSOAKER!!! You could even get fancy and rig up a washer sprayer to the bottom edge of the front fender. Pres the button and squirt the bugger!!

I used to ride bicycles alot and a water bottle full of water right in the face would stop the biggest toughest dog. It suprizes them and they don't know what to do, at least long enough for you to get clear.

That or maybe the .59 cent solution, a .45. :shake: :brows:

CW

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The disc brakes making the noise would make perfect sense but he's not only going at the front tires. He also does the same thing with vacuums and brooms. Also, He will do it with the Volkswagen but it rarely goes to the top of the driveway so its no big deal, it has 4 wheel drum brakes. Since he doesn't do it with the other XJ's it seems like it is a sound related thing since those two vehicles sound different than the rest. He is a border collie/greyhound that is super hyperactive, Jeepco's experience reminds me much of my own right now.

i have and have had lots of dogs. i do dog training. i'm an active member of 2 local dog clubs and 1 national. i have hunted some of the dogs in competition. :smart:

i would check the brake on the wheel he is biting at, it may be making some noise. if everything there seams fine, try washing the tire with a strong degreaser. i would do this with the wheel off the vehicle. spray on the degreaser and scrub everything with a scrub brush, tread, sidewall, wheel, and both sides. it is possible another dog marked the tire or you ran over something that is leaving a scent the dog doesn't like.

most likely, you'll need to go to serious behavior modification. go get yourself an electronic dog training collar (shock collar). since you're just useing it in a small area, you don't need to spend alot of money. put the collar on the dog and start backing out, when the dog goes for the tire/chase, give it a zap with the collar. start the stimulation level light and go higher until the dog is noticeably effected by it. leave it at that leavel and zap him anytime he goes towars the vehicle. i would recommend doing it with all your vehicles and have a few friends in theirs. even though the dog isn't chasing others yet, you don't want it to start. if the dog doesn't go for the chase, you don't need to apply the stimulation. you'll do this for a short time and the dog will be broke of the habit. if the dog isn't stopping, you need to go higher with the stimulation level. it sounds mean, but increase until the dog is yelping and can't chase. it should learn pretty quick.

soapbox.gif now, for anyone who feels electronic collars are mean, they are not. they are actually one of the best and least harmful training tools. if a dog does something wrong and you hit it on the butt, the dog feels that sting for a little while, it doesn't immediately go away. plus the dog sees you give it the pain causing the dog mental pain as well as the physical. the dog may also learn quickly to fear hands coming at him quickly as a potential threat. if you get hit by your buddy in the stomach on a regular basis, wouldn't you learn quickly to avoid or be aware of what your buddy may do?

then there is the effects of yelling or harsh scolding as a punishment. dogs do feel emotional pain as anyone else would. it doesn't want to get yelled at. when it does, it feels bad for a period of time. it may cower and walk away. think of your boss yelling at you, does the emotional sting go away as soon as he's done ripping into you? no, it stays with you for the rest of the day or longer.

so now you see how these methods work on a dog. now think of the electronic collar. you hit the button, the dog feels the pain instantly and the pain goes away instantly. the dog has no lasting sting or emotional pain. it's on and it's off instantly. the dog doesn't see you inflict the pain, so the dog doesn't gain fear of you or anyone else. it learns not to do the action because he gets a little pain and he learns quickly how to avoid it. it is probably the most humane way of disciplining a pet.

good luck. :thumbsup:

James, I was going to ask you what type of dog you have. I have 2 Australian shepherds and they go nuts when I first get on a quad/dirt bike. I can't do anything to get them to stop; its instinct for them. Once I get going they ignore it. It is a very different thing when it is a car that they are chasing vs. a small ATV. I don't own the ATV's, so it doesn’t happen often either. I hope you can find a way to resolve it before he gets hurt. Nothing feels worse than loosing a dog.

brdhntr - well put. Just be careful where you put the shock collar remote. I friend of mine got in from school and his dog CJ went nuts. He had inadvertently set his books on the remote - sad but true.

We used to have a border collie that would nip at the tires of cars that drove through the neighborhood. Till he caught one. Turned him about 6 rolls total he tucked tail and ran home. After that he never tried to bite them anymore. He would lay in wait and when they went by he would race them about 10 ft to the side.

8)

now i have the cartman in me. i have a hat with his line "you must respect my authority" on it. i say it all the time. my wife got it for me when our first kids were born. jamminz.gif

trouble is, they don't respect my authority. :ack: