How much should I extend my MJ cab???

How much should I extend my MJ cab???  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How much should I extend my MJ cab???

• Just extend it to fit two door XJ doors which is 8.5"
    • Extend it to fit the XJ door, cut the back off of the extended cab and extend it even futher by welding the original cab section back on and add a window for 15".

For window I could use an XJ rear door fixed glass piece and keep the stock vent.

A fixed Ranger window or maybe something like a Dakota window which opens.

If I do eliminate the vent I will use a B piller vent from a 2 door XJ.

If you know of a good doner from a different truck let me know. :D

Make your chose and if you want to see glass give me some ideas.

:cheers:

That X-Cab Long Box looks Dangerous...Like bad news...

WHY? I'm not building one..

That X-Cab Short Box is just a short box truck with a longer cab, the box shorted behind the cab and a bobbed bed. :dunno:

I'm going to probably go with the blue or green MJ.

I can make blue MJ cab longer to fit a different style or size window too.

Both the blue and green MJ's have bobbed beds.

My wheelbase is staying the same and I will bobbing the bed just after the shackles.

I wouldnt leave such a large b-pillar.. I've noticed, way more than once, a huge blind-spot because of the b-pillar vent and size.. I know its part of our trucks look,, but I wish it was way smaller.. I've even thought about a rear window that wraps around to the side up to the vent. I suppose you could add a interior roll bar to compensate for the loss of structural integrity.. I just hate that flipping blind spot..

I wouldnt leave such a large b-pillar.. I've noticed, way more than once, a huge blind-spot because of the b-pillar vent and size.. I know its part of our trucks look,, but I wish it was way smaller.. I've even thought about a rear window that wraps around to the side up to the vent. I suppose you could add a interior roll bar to compensate for the loss of structural integrity.. I just hate that flipping blind spot..

I'm leaning towards the blue MJ's style with the window, but I still could make longer with a larger window fo even less of a blind spot. Having the 8.5" longer doors will already help the blind spot too.

I can add about 16" total using both cab backs. I'll have to go to the scrap yard and measure some windows with the frames.

It will have a rollcage.

I'm leaning towards the blue MJ's style with the window, but I still could make longer with a larger window fo even less of a blind spot. Having the 8.5" longer doors will already help the blind spot too.

I can add about 16" total using both cab backs. I'll have to go to the scrap yard and measure some windows with the frames.

It will have a rollcage.

Agreed.. Lose the vent and slap a window in there.. The longer doors will only put the blind spot further back if left the stock size.

I always wanted to see an X-Cab MJ . I agree with TNT on he blind spot , with the longer doors and the 1/4 Window,if thats the right term, the blind spot would be reduced. I just think that the vent is part of MJ's signature look. Mabye a slightly narrower back window would look good.

:headpop: Did the site crash on anybody else? I hit preview to my post to this and....... "buh-bye".

So, here goes again. I like the blue version like the others, but I like also like the Xcab and Crew Cab long bed photos. It's funny what dakine said about the vent being an MJ signature. In my failed attempt to post 90 mins ago I was saying that in almost every picture I've ever seen of a crew or xcab MJ, real or photoshopped, I think the vent just looks out of place. That being said, the one exception is the pic of the crew cab long because it had real crew doors (square). The pic of the crew cab short box though, with the "backward facing front doors" has too much metal between the window frame and the back of the cab, so IMO it would look better w/OUT the vent. Also, on the Xcab trucks, with the 1/4 window, it's too much going on, again, IMO it would be better w/out the vent. Anyhooo.........

Tim, what about a mid or late 80s Yota 1/4 window? The mid 80s could work well because it is narrow up top and wide at the bottom and that may fit in well with the lines of the door and back of cab, although I think I might like it better if the bottom was trimmed up even with the door glass.

In 89 they went to a larger and more square window. The deeper the back of your cab goes, this might be an option. :dunno:

I'll have to see if my buddy over at the scrap yard has Dakota rear vent windows that open or any other ones that open.

If not I because I'll probably use Ranger fixed rear window or any fixed windows that work that will fit.

A rear window thats a vent style is a plus beause ít just going to have a plain jane heater and controls.

My back is trashed and gainig about 6" of exta seat movement would be great.

I thinking the double MJ cab would be the way to go since it will have enough room for some 12" subs in sealed box firing directly at the seat back will be great.

:headpop: Did the site crash on anybody else? I hit preview to my post to this and....... "buh-bye".

So, here goes again. I like the blue version like the others, but I like also like the Xcab and Crew Cab long bed photos. It's funny what dakine said about the vent being an MJ signature. In my failed attempt to post 90 mins ago I was saying that in almost every picture I've ever seen of a crew or xcab MJ, real or photoshopped, I think the vent just looks out of place. That being said, the one exception is the pic of the crew cab long because it had real crew doors (square). The pic of the crew cab short box though, with the "backward facing front doors" has too much metal between the window frame and the back of the cab, so IMO it would look better w/OUT the vent. Also, on the Xcab trucks, with the 1/4 window, it's too much going on, again, IMO it would be better w/out the vent. Anyhooo.........

Tim, what about a mid or late 80s Yota 1/4 window? The mid 80s could work well because it is narrow up top and wide at the bottom and that may fit in well with the lines of the door and back of cab, although I think I might like it better if the bottom was trimmed up even with the door glass.

In 89 they went to a larger and more square window. The deeper the back of your cab goes, this might be an option. :dunno:

I'm think I just going to double the rear up for maximum room.

The newer one I like. Do they open up like a vent window also?

If I do double stack the cab I will probably reverse the rear spings and mount a nice HD traction bar. The box would be to short and look wrong since the rear tire would be too close to the cab.

The box will still get bobbed, have comp cut fenders and might also be dovetailed also.

Don't forget about the optional quarter window on 2 door XJ. It would fit the B post of course and it is framed already. The only fabrication would be between the rear of the window frame and the back edge of the MJ vent.

A wrap around corner window would be cool, it would be hard to do though since the trucks that had them were from the 50's and they had a larger radius curve... Maybe find someone to make the glass custom. That is what I would like to do to mine anyways, will probably never happen though.

Yes, the 89+ Yota Xcab windows pop out for ventilation. :thumbsup:

Early 80s S-10 windows did also, and were very square, well, recatangular, but you know what I mean. Again, that may work well with the sharp lines of the MJ.

They didn't have one that I could measure. That looks like the best choice for me. I'll have to get some measurements.

If not it will get a XJ fixed rear door glass with the MJ vent behind it like the X-Cab Short Box.

I might be able to make the XJ glass roll up and down using parts of the doors and a power window motor.

I would have the rear springs turned around to add some wheelbase. It would look too strange otherwise. I would add a traction bar and customize the spring pack some. It will also get custom shackles and be SOA. The bed will be about 4' long and end just after the rear spring eye since the upper shackle will be further forward and above the frame rail. I plan on keeping the rear spring eye as close to the bottom of the frame rail as possible.

Tim, I have a ext cab s-10 if you want me to get you some pics and measurements that'd be fine. Let me know..

That would be sweet. I got a flash burn(welder) today :doh: and will probably stay indoors tomorrow.

Overall height in the front, hieght in the rear, the width at the top and width at the bottom of the glass would be great. The appoximate amount of room needed for the hinge and steel frame work would be the bomb. :yes:

Thanks. jamminz.gif

If it seems good I'll track one down local.