Hide your gold rings, Knuckles is here

wolfpackjeeper

The wife got me a pet hedgehog for Valentines day, yea its early. I have always wanted one and she came across a good deal from a mom whose kids have not played with him at all in the 4 mo since she bought it. Trying to get him used to being held, but other than for his bath I have not gotten him to relax very much. He just seems to like hiding on the couch behind the cushion.

But other than that you had better watch out cause he is a badass!

anyone got any tips for care or handling?

we used to have a couple hedgehogs. cute little critters.we just had a heatlamp for them and a few places for them to hide in.kept em in one of them 100 gallon plastic totes so they couldt climbout. theil eat small veggies or you can get hedgehog food at a pet store.

Definitely do some Google searching on it if you are not familiar with them. Small critters like that are usually quite sensitive to diet and care so be sure you know what he needs.

Here is a good basic info page I found on a quick search. I have no idea that they ate stuff like it says on here... http://www.pogstarhedgehogs.com/basiccare.html

I have though about having them before, but never have. They are kind of evil & cute looking all at the same time.

Had one for 2 years until it died of cancer. :( She would eat veggies and insects. You should do some Google searches for forums on them. I know it sounds crazy but they ussally help more then care guides(which arent bad to get either). I went thru that with my Bearded Dragon i got last year...her birthday is next month i think now that i think about it...It was great help especially when she went into reptile hibernation (brumation) kinda made me worry cause she quit moving as much and stopped eating too!! ANYWAY those are fun and easy to hold once the get used to you. Just scoop them under there belly where the fur is and they will be fine. Also if you hold it close to your body don't let your buddy make loud noises to scare it they do a hopping thing and it will poke your chest full of holes :wall:

Cole

we used to have a couple hedgehogs. cute little critters.we just had a heatlamp for them and a few places for them to hide in.kept em in one of them 100 gallon plastic totes so they couldt climbout. theil eat small veggies or you can get hedgehog food at a pet store.

I have been wondering about getting him a lamp or a small heat rock or blanket. I know they are pretty sensitive to cold and theat if they try to hibernate they can die. I read a bunch of stuff online. Mainly I am wondering if there is an easier way to get them used to you. I just try to hold him a few times a day and let him sit in my lap in his little ball when I am watching TV so he gets used to my scent.

The puppy learned real quick that it is not his toy. Just walked right up and jammed his nose against him then yelped and ran away.

any yea, my wife loves watching him do the little hopping thing. He has gotten us a few times.

heat rocks can be bad for creatures especially reptiles. They try to warm there body but there body temp don't rise quick enough and they can burn there skin on the rock without realizing it. I would go with a lamp. But again thats just my opinion on the matter of heat. The under tank heaters are better then rocks but still not a choice i would make. :dunno:

Cole

When i was working to get mine used to me i didnt wear gloves cause it messes with your sent on your hands. Kinda scary but the scooping under the belly will keep you safe. You can also use the other hand to sweep the spines back gently and help balance him when you pick him up. other then that just time with it is what i did.

Cole

When i was working to get mine used to me i didnt wear gloves cause it messes with your sent on your hands. Kinda scary but the scooping under the belly will keep you safe. You can also use the other hand to sweep the spines back gently and help balance him when you pick him up. other then that just time with it is what i did.

Cole

I have been using the gloves to get him to the couch, then I take them off and handle him. It has been about 4 days and he is getting better. It is just getting him in and out of the cage that is tough since it is a front door cage and not a lift top cage.

you know Sonic was the Hedgehog and Knuckles was the Echidna right? either way that critter looks awsome. do they have quills that get stuck in you like a porcupine? or is it just a sharp creature? i've kind of always wanted one but i'm scared if it stabed me i might chuck it across the room

We had wild hedgehogs in Europe, although I've only ever seen one that was not captive. As far as I know the spikes do not fall out after they stick you like the quills on a porcupine.

Also, do not feed it milk. They love to drink milk, but they are lactose intolerant.

yea they won't stick in you like a porcupine( i had a pet one of those to lol)

And how did that go? I see them out in the wild every now and then, but generally I steer clear... I imagine they might be cute and cuddly, but I kinda doubt it...

wasnt to bad actually. i had a rope with a lariat in it that i would use to move him around. some how he escaped after a couple months. i collected the quills he shed and sold em. lol even took him to show and tell in 2nd grade.lol

heat rocks can be bad for creatures especially reptiles. They try to warm there body but there body temp don't rise quick enough and they can burn there skin on the rock without realizing it. I would go with a lamp. But again thats just my opinion on the matter of heat. The under tank heaters are better then rocks but still not a choice i would make. :dunno: Cole

Hedgehogs are not reptiles mate. :cheers: