Interior turn signal lights come on when braking?

My guess is a grounding issue. If it was happening to me, I would start by inspecting the 4 taillight sockets and clean up the ground located behind the drivers side taillight. Then I'd move on to inspecting the front turn signal sockets.

mines always been a front bulb- the goo is gone, and its just needs cleaning- its called ghosting, the turn signal/s kinda glow when you hit the brakes, or at night when the headlights are on.

Last time it was my drivers side running lamp- remove, clean out accumulatied crap- replace-good for another little while.

:hijack:

Ok since we are on the topic of grounding out brake lights and turnsignals. My problem is when i turn the right signal on and hit the brake it stops completely, same with my hazzards. Could this be the same problem, ive been meaning to do some process of elimination but havent gotten around to it. Thanks

:hijack:

Ok since we are on the topic of grounding out brake lights and turnsignals. My problem is when i turn the right signal on and hit the brake it stops completely, same with my hazzards. Could this be the same problem, ive been meaning to do some process of elimination but havent gotten around to it. Thanks

Yes...it could very well be the same type of issue. :thumbsup:

Since the brake lights and hazards use the same filament, the hazards are supposed to quit working when on the brake. This is a DOT requirement as they consider brake lights to be more important that hazards.

But turn signals should keep working when braking.

Since the brake lights and hazards use the same filament, the hazards are supposed to quit working when on the brake. This is a DOT requirement as they consider brake lights to be more important that hazards.

DOT requirement. Kinda dumb if thats what it is cuz all this time i thought it was broken.

Thanks for the help ill try get to it sometime.

I had the ghosting problem, it was a broken ground strap from the engine block to the body. I fab`d up a custom 1/0 ground cable & fixed the problem......now to finish the rest of the battery cables :wrench:

I had the ghosting problem, it was a broken ground strap from the engine block to the body. I fab`d up a custom 1/0 ground cable & fixed the problem......now to finish the rest of the battery cables :wrench:

So how hard are the battery cables, thats another thing to replace on my list.

Not all cars function that way some cars have independant systems and the hazards still function while braking.Not only can bad sockets and grounding cause that problem but so can installing the wrong bulb .Installing a single element bulb where a double element belongs (and visa-versa) will short the two circuits and back feed and cause the dash lites or turn sig lites to illuminate. 30 years in the car biz you see it all. :nuts:

As far as I know if the same filaments are used for signal lights and brake lights, Federal Government mandates that the brake lights override the hazard signals. I still stand by that statement.

If turn signals and brake lights are separate, brake lights can be on (not blinking) while the hazards are still blinking so my earlier statement does not apply. Brake lights HAVE to be on while braking. One is allowed to blink to indicate a turn, but not both.

Ok didnt feel like working on the jeep today, its sunday, its raining I'm feeling lazy. Anyway a little sunshine came out and i decided to go wash the truck, get all the sea salt off and stuff. But when i was done and went to the dump to drop of trash, i noticed that the tail lights were on. Checked to see if i pulled the lights on and nope i didnt........could i have shorted a wire washing it? Is this that ghosting thing you all were talking about? Or is it time to get new bulbs and new connectors, and if so where can i get the connectors? Or time to check some grounds?

Electrical aw you gotta luv it :fs1: :wall: :grrrr: soapbox.gif :headpop: :help:

As far as I know if the same filaments are used for signal lights and brake lights, Federal Government mandates that the brake lights override the hazard signals. I still stand by that statement.

If turn signals and brake lights are separate, brake lights can be on (not blinking) while the hazards are still blinking so my earlier statement does not apply. Brake lights HAVE to be on while braking. One is allowed to blink to indicate a turn, but not both.

You are correct.