CV shafts in a manche?

I just bought two CV joint shafts for the D30 in my truck. I don't wheel it hard and they are probably stronger than the stock little joints anyhow. Hopefully I can score an affordable 21 spline 242 T-case to go along with them soon. The pinion bearing is a little noisey in the 30 so I might as well do it all at once. It'll be nice to be able to actually drive this thing on the road in 4wd someday without it hopping around corners.

Anyone do this switch? How'd it drive?

you don't notice the difference between cv's and u-joints, although they undoubtedly handle the stress of having power at high speeds better than a u-joint will.

my buddy has recently converted a 99xj form 2x to 4x with a 242 and a ZJ front axle (CV shafts) and it rides just fine, all wheel drive kicks @$$.

I know a couple of ppl who had the CV shaft fornt axles.. and they either broke or they replaced them before they broke.

This shouldn't be an issue. I have a very restrained right foot, so I can control the urge to unleash all that 2.5 liter auto fury upon my drive train. :D .

If anyone is contemplating a 242 swap and are still running a CAD front axle, then you'll want to plan on permanently shifting the CAD so that it cannot disengage. If it lets go while in AWD mode, you can kiss your 242 goodbye. :eek:

If anyone is contemplating a 242 swap and are still running a CAD front axle, then you'll want to plan on permanently shifting the CAD so that it cannot disengage. If it lets go while in AWD mode, you can kiss your 242 goodbye. :eek:

That is another reason for the CV shaft swap. Although my CAD has always worked perfectly.

I have CV axles from a ZJ with V8 along with the steering knuckle and brakes to put on my diff along with the 242/AW4 I have installed (but not finished due to the broken shifter cable I recently got a replacement for, but haven't felt like working on due to inclement weather and 4 feet of snow that finally melted)

The ZJ sway bar is a great upgrade for our trucks if you can get one and have issue with the way your truck feels. Personally, I'm happy with mine as is, but I have heard a lot of people say how much they liked the ZJ bar upgrade.

I did a 6" front lift and I like the way it feels. I take corners on the highway faster than most ricers can. (it was so fun watching them try to follow me through the cloverleaf from I-405 SB onto I-520 EB in the rain. I'd zip round the corner and they'd go straight! LOL! Even funnier was a cop that tried to keep up!)

That is another reason for the CV shaft swap. Although my CAD has always worked perfectly.

I just LOVE it when I jinx myself. Went through a field with a couple of feet of snow to take the kids sledding yesterday. No four wheel drive. Made it in and out OK, just a little more work. Guessing it's the CAD.

I've been thinking about this since you posted it. Why would it be a problem if the CAD disconnected in full time mode? :huh???:

Apparently the parts inside the 242 that allow the up to 48%/52% split in torque will likely not survive if those percentages suddenly change to 0/100. I don't have direct experience with that, but have seen the warning before.

No, they should survive... It's just an open diff, basically... Or so I believe. The FSM doesn't really spell out the operation of the unit, but 'full differential' means open diff to me. And looking at the diagrams, I can only reason it operates as one. But, I've never done the touchy-feely thing where I pulled one apart to see how everything moves. I only ever had on NP242, and it never broke so I didn't touch it.

I don't believe it's a full open diff (like an axle). I'm failing miserably on finding that diagram I saw years ago, but I'm certain it only allows up to a 48/52 split. I chirp the tires with a tight turn in the Libby.

Can anyone find me a diagram of a 242?

In the 242 XJ I can feel some very minor binding on tight turns but nothing at all compared to what I feel on the 231 or the 242 in part time mode. so I can see how it doesn't act as a full open diff but for lack of a better term L/S type diff that allows some movement but not a lot. I just don't understand why it would damage the tcase for the power do not be distributed to the wheels suddenly but instead the pass. side inner axle shaft, is it because the load is suddenly taken off the gears? What exactly gets damaged when the CAD lets loose?

My guess is the planetaries since the warning is only about when using the 242 in AWD mode. I'm finding it tough to track this down using google searches. :headpop: It certainly can't happen all that often, since the CAD axle was never paired with the 242 from the factory and so to replicate this possibility would require some serious breakage, and who the heck wheels hard in full-time mode? :nuts:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a cad and a 242 and today forgot to engage the cad while in full time (set up a manual vaccuum switch). The truck didn't move when I let out the clutch. Engaged the cad and everything moved. I didn't rev it much though. Checked part time lo and high and will move with the cad disconnected. Did I break something or will all the power go to the disconnected front due to a lack of traction like an open differential? It moved well in the snow a few weeks ago so the full time seemed to work well then. I'll have to find some dirt this weekend and see if I spin all four tires (or at least three rear trac-lock).