Quick Tire advice please!

The tires and wheels below are for sale very near my house. I am in the market, and have been considering some Light Truck 235/75/15 for my stock wheels, but I am now wondering if these fit on my stock 1990 4X2?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/901758936.html

Thanks for the advice!

Bill

The Rims will fit... I have the gambler's on my MJ (and TJ), they are 15x8 with 5.25" Backspcing.

I have 29x10.5, but think 31's would fit, but might rub a little bit (a couple washers at the steering stops might help)...but I'm sure the more knowledgeable "experts" will chime in.

Wade

My "Build Sheet" from Chrysler says mine was delivered with P225/75R16 BSW On/Off Road Tires, though I have to admit I am skeptical about the accuracy of their data. I bought it two weeks ago with P225/70/R15 RWL tires. I have no plans for off-roading, but I wanted to up the size a little to beef up the appearance. Naturally I don't want to sacrifice performance and handling on the highway. At this point I guess I will pass on the 31s, and go with the LT235/75/R15, unless I hear compelling information to change my mind. Thanks for the replies!

Bill

That's probably a good idea Bill. While the 31's may "go on", they definitely will not "fit". I have posted this a long time ago, but the definition of "FIT" is that the tire on the vehicle will not touch/rub at any point during full articulation of the suspension or full turn to lock in both directions of the steering. Just because a tire will go on a vehicle does not mean it fits. A 31" tire needs a 3" lift to "FIT" on our trucks ;) :cheers:

My "Build Sheet" from Chrysler says mine was delivered with P225/75R16 BSW On/Off Road Tires, though I have to admit I am skeptical about the accuracy of their data. I bought it two weeks ago with P225/70/R15 RWL tires. I have no plans for off-roading, but I wanted to up the size a little to beef up the appearance. Naturally I don't want to sacrifice performance and handling on the highway. At this point I guess I will pass on the 31s, and go with the LT235/75/R15, unless I hear compelling information to change my mind. Thanks for the replies!

Bill

Comanches were never offered with 16" rims, so I'd say that build sheet is questionable at best.

Bill

Comanches were never offered with 16" rims, so I'd say that build sheet is questionable at best.

Yeah...mine says it came with 16" wheels as well when I put the VIN in the Chrysler website :shake:

If you really like/want the wheels, which you should be able to get down to $250 on, you could then go to a used tire place and trade down for a nice matched set of 235s, which are plentiful in supply. It looks like the tires have good tread on them so you'd have something to offer the used tire guy. Offer $200 on all 5 wheels, pay $250 assuming he balks, then make a trade with the tire guy including mount and balance and you're all set for $250, i.e. nothing more out of your pocket. Not bad for 5 nice wheels and the correct tire size for your needs. Worst case, assumig you already have a spare, sell off the 5th wheel with the 31" still on there and someone will probably grab it as a spare for $50-100 depending on how good of shape they're in. Net out of your pocket might be less than $200. :brows:

I'm with Randy in Maine when it comes to street tires. My build sheet says 205/75/15 which was the size on when I bought it. I went up to 225/75/15 but the truck feels top

heavy and doesn't handle or corner as well. I'm going with 215/75/15 Michelins as the best compromise. I understand the need for tall tires offroad and I get the appearance thing but for a good handling daily driver, smaller is probably better.

It seems like we have supporters at both ends of the spectrum. My truck is not a daily driver. Though it could see periods of highway driving occasionally, it is mostly going to be used for a rough and tumble utility vehicle around my small acreage. I want it to be fully functional in terms of performance and handling, but I think a more beefy appearance would be preferable to any tires smaller than the 225s. On the other hand, I don't want to give the impression of, "Hey look at that 4X2 that thinks he is a 4X4.

I have left an offer on the table as suggested for the 31X10.5 on the Gambler wheels. I guess if he bites, I will put them on and check the fit. If they are too big, I will either consider a lift, or try to trade them out for something in the 235-255 range.

Thanks,

Bill

I hope some of you are still following this thread:

Please recall I bought this 1990 4X2 about two weeks ago. I will use the truck for mostly utility around my property, but may use it on the highway occasionally. I want to beef up the appearance of the truck, so I was planning to up the current tire size from 225/70R15 to some Bridgestone Dueler A/T 235/75/R15 . While considering this, I found some Gambler wheels with 31/10.50R15 tires. I made an offer for the Gambler wheels, and it has been accepted, contingent on us trying the fit. So when I go over this evening to mount the front tire, what specifically should I look for to tell me if these are going to reasonably work?

Thanks,

Bill

I honestly don't think that there is any chance that they will work. A 235 is just short of 29" and is a fairly tight fit on a stock MJ...especially a 2WD. The 31's will likely be OK if you are going straight on flat ground, but if you turn and hit a bump at the same time it is probably going to rip out the inner fender liner and possibly do metal damage if not damage to the tires.

Like I mentioned before, if you really want the wheels (and they are nice wheels), it comes down to whether or not you think you can trade or sell the tires, or even want to hassle with it. If it is the right deal, I personally don't mind a little hassle to get what I want out of it.

A few other points to make.

1. If the offer accepted was for $200 give or take a little, IMHO that's not a bad price just for the wheels. Yes, there are ALWAYS deals out there for cheaper, but a nice set of alloys for roughly $40 each is hard to beat.

2. Part of the problem is, most any wheel/tire combo you find for sale will have 30" or larger tires on it because someone is selling off their stock wheels after they have lifted (for the second time in a lot of cases) and gotten a substantially larger wheel/tire package.

3. Because of your tire dilemma, I think you might be better off just pursuing a set of wheels and then get your tires locally in a 235/75/15 size, whether they be new or used, you decide. If you check Craigslist and jeepforum.com a few times every day, you'll run across some "wheels only" sales and can go that route.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Here's a suggestion....

Pick up a set of 235/70/15's.

They are about the same height as 225/75/15's (in fact, slightly shorter) and give you the width advantage which = far better traction which is a must in the rain if you haven't noticed already.

Compared to stock it's a nice improvement on and offroad.

'88 4x2 here as well ;)

My next set of tires will probably be some Firestone Indy 500's as mine is 99% street with the occasional very sandy trail. Wide and smooth tires work great for what I use the truck for :thumbsup:

I started by wanting a little bigger tires, but got sidetracked with the wheel/tire combo that really wasn't a good fit. I negotiated the price of the wheels and tires down to $225, but I finally passed on them. After all the input, I decided to go with 235/75R15s. I found a coupon for buy 3 get 1 free from Firestone on selected models, i.e discontinued. I found a local store where I can get 4 Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires for the price of 3 at $111/ea. I figure with all the goodies I will walk out paying around $400.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bill

I started by wanting a little bigger tires, but got sidetracked with the wheel/tire combo that really wasn't a good fit. I negotiated the price of the wheels and tires down to $225, but I finally passed on them. After all the input, I decided to go with 235/75R15s. I found a coupon for buy 3 get 1 free from Firestone on selected models, i.e discontinued. I found a local store where I can get 4 Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires for the price of 3 at $111/ea. I figure with all the goodies I will walk out paying around $400.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bill

What about wheels then?

Thanks to everyone who responded to this request. Also thanks for not posting something like, "Have you looked at the FAQ and searched the archives?" I have done all that too, but I prefer the immediate and interactive aspect of the forum. Chatting about it is just more fun than a dry search. :cheers:

I bought the tires. It turns out the Firestone Internet special I found was on (4 ply) P235/75R15s AND (6 ply)LT235/75R15s. The LT version was $126/tire, and the P version was $111. The quote I worked up, printed out and had sent over was for the lower priced ones, but the guy working the counter thought I wanted the LT version. He drove to the warehouse and picked those up because there were none in the shop. To make a long story short, I got 4 LTs for the price of 3 Ps. I am really happy with the improvement in stance, height and general effect it gives to the truck. :chillin:

I am also thankful to Firestone for not only offering a good deal, but making it sweeter when there was an error in my favor. :thumbsup:

Hmm what can I obsess over now... :driving: