My first MJ buildup

How's that going? I hear unlike the XJs the MJs all had the firewall mod already in anticipation of the 4.0L being used.

Oh also, how did taking off the bed go? Are you putting it back? (I'm considering pulling my bed to work on the rear)

It is going pretty good so far. The fire wall was a little different nothing a rubber mallet couldn't fix. The engine trans is in, the m/m swapped right over no mods needed, the trans x-member is about 6" forward than where it is needed to be at so a little fabbing is needed there, but all in all it is going really good. I got the dash and most of the wiring swapped over. Its going slowly but going.

The bed was a pain but worth it I need to get some paint on the rear frame rails as they are starting to rust a little. You have to drop the tank cause its hooked to the bed and the frame. The bed is going back on just as soon as I can paint between it and the cab.

I will try to get some pics up soon, I've been working on it after work solo so no real time to snap pics.

If I wind up taking my bed off to work on the rear I was planning on putting some bracing across for the tank to hang on so the tank wouldn't be attached to the bed. I wouldn't have to go through it again to remove it and I could run around without the bed to make sure things were kosher before putting it back etc.

Nice looking rig :brows: I have a brand new gas tank sitting in my garage if you are interested. If you hold off a lil while putting the bed back on.. you might be able to swap in my 8.8. I just need to strip the f250, and set it up for my junk

Nice looking rig :brows: I have a brand new gas tank sitting in my garage if you are interested. If you hold off a lil while putting the bed back on.. you might be able to swap in my 8.8. I just need to strip the f250, and set it up for my junk
How much for the gas tank? I just got the new MJ home and put 12gallons of gold in it to find out there is about a 1/4" hole knocked in the bottom of it. Guy had a self tapper screwed in it. :nuts:

How much for the gas tank? I just got the new MJ home and put 12gallons of gold in it to find out there is about a 1/4" hole knocked in the bottom of it. Guy had a self tapper screwed in it. :nuts:

Weld it closed :teehee:

Lemme get home and see if mine is fixed. I put a fiberglass repair on it last night along w/ plugs and plug wires..zip is 30276 :bowdown:

So I sort of ran into a small snag, The whole front cross member on the 86' is todally different than the 94'. So the radiator from the 94' will not bolt in with out extensive modifications. My question is will the the rad. from the 2.8 cool the 4.0 or should I look into getting one made. I would rather not as I am trying to keep over all cost as low as possible. Also can I move the mech. fan over to the water pump pully like V8's and such or should I start looking for an electric fan to do the cooling.

I also don't need the gas tank as mine is in really good shape, thanks though.

Guest Mudshovel_009

I ran into same problem, but if you have the top plate from a 87 or newer mj of xj a little cutting (use headerpanel for placment) you can make it fit, I did it. I had to make new mounts for bottom of radiator and cut sides of core suppot a little but in the end it will fit. I wish I still had that truck, I'd take pictures. There is no room for anything but the 4.0L radiator......It has to fit. Good luck!! Awsome prodject. Travis

Why will the 2.8 rad. not work? not big enough! I have the 4.0L rad. but the only way I can see to make the 4.0L would be to cut out all the inner fender (front sections) and replace them with the ones from the donor truck. Which looks like alot of work, more work than making the 2.8 rad. work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have gotten alot done lately but haven't taken any pics sorry. I will get some updated shots soon.

Things done- I modded the front core support to make the 4.0L rad. fit it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Started the bucket seat mod(driver sides done) The engine is completely together and I fired it up for the first time tonight. It has an issue and won't start with the key, so I ran a jumper wire to the starter and started it that way, I will figure it out later.

I still need to paint between the bed and cab so I can put the bed back on and remount the fuel tank. I also need new fuel lines, where would I be able to pic some up at ???? Thats it for now

rzv4.jpg

As I promised some more pics. Things I have gotten done lately, Well I got some paint between the bed and cab so I could put the bed back on. I made a bed lift to go on my picker so I could put the bed back on by myself ( can't seem to find any good help) it worked out pretty well.

I took out the crappy D35 and in went the SOAed 8.8, I haven't weld the perches on yet. It is a little taller than I would like it to be. Oh almost forgot I sprayed the frame with some equipement black paint, tuff stuff. Thats its for now

qua9.jpg