What kind of mileage do you get?

Geonovast

I know my 2.5 is running weird...but I took it on a 1000 mile (round trip) trip this past weekend and I got weird mileage readings.

All the way down (filling up 89, 90 or 91 octane) I got about 15-16 mpg. I blamed it on that it wasn't running right.

On the way back, I filled up with 87, and it went up to 23 mpg. At half tank I filled up with 88, and it went back down to 16. Then halftank again put in 87 and it went back up to 22.

Can't check my 4.0 since there's a leak halfway up the tank.

What kind of mileage is everyone getting?

I know my 2.5 is running weird...but I took it on a 1000 mile (round trip) trip this past weekend and I got weird mileage readings.

All the way down (filling up 89, 90 or 91 octane) I got about 15-16 mpg. I blamed it on that it wasn't running right.

On the way back, I filled up with 87, and it went up to 23 mpg. At half tank I filled up with 88, and it went back down to 16. Then halftank again put in 87 and it went back up to 22.

Can't check my 4.0 since there's a leak halfway up the tank.

What kind of mileage is everyone getting?

My 4.0/AW4 4x4, running 235/75R15 I get about 16 around town, 19 at 75mph, 21 at 70mph, 24 at 65mph, all running 87 octane. Mileage has been corrected for tire size.

I was afraid the 4.5" lift was going to affect highway mileage, but it seemed to have had no effect.

My 4.0/AW4 4x4, running 235/75R15 I get about 16 around town, 19 at 75mph, 21 at 70mph, 24 at 65mph, all running 87 octane. Mileage has been corrected for tire size.

I was afraid the 4.5" lift was going to affect highway mileage, but it seemed to have had no effect.

Octane level doesn't seem to make any diff on MPG in the 2.5 or 4L. I notice a mileage diff based on load (200# or more it starts dropping), when driving into a wind (there have been times when traveling the 150 miles of I-84 along the Columbia the wind has cut my mileage by 1/3), and trying to stay with traffic flows. Heck, cans of "off the shelf" octane boosters have no effect either. Only 2 things give me improved mileage; driving like the lil ol lady & checking MPG going down hill only. :dunno:

Octane level doesn't seem to make any diff on MPG in the 2.5 or 4L. I notice a mileage diff based on load (200# or more it starts dropping), when driving into a wind (there have been times when traveling the 150 miles of I-84 along the Columbia the wind has cut my mileage by 1/3), and trying to stay with traffic flows. Heck, cans of "off the shelf" octane boosters have no effect either. Only 2 things give me improved mileage; driving like the lil ol lady & checking MPG going down hill only. :dunno:

Ours gets about 15-17, but it never gets driven much more than about 10 miles at a time and not usually more than 40 - 45 mph. It would probably do better if I would get the gears done, but I am running 31x10.50 Swampers with 3.07 gears. I need to go to 3.73's...

Ours gets about 15-17, but it never gets driven much more than about 10 miles at a time and not usually more than 40 - 45 mph. It would probably do better if I would get the gears done, but I am running 31x10.50 Swampers with 3.07 gears. I need to go to 3.73's...

I've seen 24mpg pretty regularly on trips here in the NE (slight hills and such). On one trip on LI I was able to see 25mpg.

I'm hoping with an alignment and those fancy injectors people are using (mine are at 260k), I can see 26.

Thats on 87 octane.

I've seen 24mpg pretty regularly on trips here in the NE (slight hills and such). On one trip on LI I was able to see 25mpg.

I'm hoping with an alignment and those fancy injectors people are using (mine are at 260k), I can see 26.

Thats on 87 octane.

My 4 cyl got more economy (25 mpg average) with the lower octane stuff AND had more power. I drove to Ouray, CO in '02 with 3 adults, a canopy, tool box, spare parts and 3 spare tires (ended up needing all of them after my alignment was wrecked by a delivery truck in CO)

Total weight was 6,000 lbs. 2.5L with almost 200,000 miles, ax-5, NP207, 4.10 gears and 30" tires. We cruised at 70 mph most of the way (I had to downshift only when I tried premium gas in the mountains)

The reason for this is that modern higher octane fuels have additives that slow the burning rate and in so doing cut the power drastically but the motor doesn't ping.