Mass. eases marijuana laws

maddzz1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are they going to tax something that's already smuggled in prolifically, is essentially untraceable, and costs less than the legal stuff they're taxing?

Making it legal will stop the smuggling. For example, Hornbrod driving into the next town for a 12 pack. If Arab had liquor by the drink he wouldn't be "smuggling" it in.

How are they going to tax something that's already smuggled in prolifically, is essentially untraceable, and costs less than the legal stuff they're taxing?

Making it legal will stop the smuggling. For example, Hornbrod driving into the next town for a 12 pack. If Arab had liquor by the drink he wouldn't be "smuggling" it in.

Not if it's more expensive than the smuggled stuff. People still smuggle cigarettes across state lines. :dunno:

Not if it's more expensive than the smuggled stuff. People still smuggle cigarettes across state lines. :dunno:

true..

but if farmer joe down the road can grow weed now its not going cost as much.. Now when you get big business involved where the joints are like cigarettes, then I can see going out of town to get a bag, or carton, or whatever. I still think hemp should be legal... Not for smoking but for the 9.9 X 10^10Y uses it has.. I have smoked weed, don't anymore, but even the seed is useful. More useful then the soybean even. I am very for legalization of Hemp... Hemp for victory!!!! (google that)

true..

but if farmer joe down the road can grow weed now its not going cost as much.. Now when you get big business involved where the joints are like cigarettes, then I can see going out of town to get a bag, or carton, or whatever. I still think hemp should be legal... Not for smoking but for the 9.9 X 10^10Y uses it has.. I have smoked weed, don't anymore, but even the seed is useful. More useful then the soybean even. I am very for legalization of Hemp... Hemp for victory!!!! (google that)

The government could grow it so cheap that that they could sell it way cheaper than what it costs to buy it now and still make a huge profit. This would make the profit so small for smugglers that the risk wouldnt justify the rewards; especially since the penalty for smuggling would still carry a long prison sentence. I read somewhere that the gov spends over $100 million a year fighting marijuana, when it is an $80 billion industry. That is all money the gov could be making

The government could grow it so cheap that that they could sell it way cheaper than what it costs to buy it now and still make a huge profit. This would make the profit so small for smugglers that the risk wouldnt justify the rewards; especially since the penalty for smuggling would still carry a long prison sentence. I read somewhere that the gov spends over $100 million a year fighting marijuana, when it is an $80 billion industry. That is all money the gov could be making

legalize it, don't enforce a price cap.

drug lords will stop smuggling because, even with taxes, no price cap means that they can demand higher payments to cover the taxes.

it would take a couple/few years for everything to smooth over, but it would be well worth it.

also, it should be a ticketable offense to drive high without a count above whatever (in whatever scale would be used to measure high-ness...)

set it up like it's alcohol.

drug lords will stop smuggling because, even with taxes, no price cap means that they can demand higher payments to cover the taxes.

it would take a couple/few years for everything to smooth over, but it would be well worth it.

also, it should be a ticketable offense to drive high without a count above whatever (in whatever scale would be used to measure high-ness...)

That would be good if they could find a way to measure it on the spot. I would rather my kids smoke weed than drink alcohol.

That would be good if they could find a way to measure it on the spot. I would rather my kids smoke weed than drink alcohol.

The difference is that I won't buy weed if its illegal. A guy I went to high school with (who also prolifically grew weed) would be able to sell me some and pay taxes just like any other business.

Legalized alcohol sure does go a long way to cutting down on moonshine. Moonshine is way cheap, but how many people do you think buy it because its cheaper?

true..

There are many uses of the hemp plant, it is very hardy and grows easily, everything from biodiesel to paper.

Great socialized weed. :doh:

Around here they do a piss test on the spot (which is later processed and recorded) which can lead to a DWI/DUI. If you are so stoned that you are not even lucid you pretty much get pulled in on the spot (and then later piss tested) still not as instant as a BAC/breathalyzer test though.

Really though, anyone can make the analogy of prohibition, we are all very critically aware of the result of that "social experiment" the same thing applies to Marihuana use.

Ya sure, weed is a gateway drug, and so is alcohol and tobacco.........what's your point?

The difference is that I won't buy weed if its illegal. A guy I went to high school with (who also prolifically grew weed) would be able to sell me some and pay taxes just like any other business.

Legalized alcohol sure does go a long way to cutting down on moonshine. Moonshine is way cheap, but how many people do you think buy it because its cheaper?

true..

There are many uses of the hemp plant, it is very hardy and grows easily, everything from biodiesel to paper.

Great socialized weed. :doh:

Around here they do a piss test on the spot (which is later processed and recorded) which can lead to a DWI/DUI. If you are so stoned that you are not even lucid you pretty much get pulled in on the spot (and then later piss tested) still not as instant as a BAC/breathalyzer test though.

Really though, anyone can make the analogy of prohibition, we are all very critically aware of the result of that "social experiment" the same thing applies to Marihuana use.

Ya sure, weed is a gateway drug, and so is alcohol and tobacco.........what's your point?

Now, you guys knew I would jump in here sooner or later, right? :no:

OK - here is the other side of this debate:

First, Marijunana is an illegal substance for a number of reasons, mainly because the federal government says it is. Various courts across the country have taken this issue on numerous times, and almost always found the law to be upheld. Mass. is walking a fine line here as the feds can and will withhold certain federal funds if the federal laws are not enforced.

Healthwise: if you have ever seen the images of a cigarette smoker's lungs, you know what tar and nicotine does to them. An unfiltered cigarette is even worse, but no-one has figured out how to filter a joint without filtering out the majority of the desired chemical (THC). So smoking dope really does hurt you, even more then cigarettes. There have also been studies out the a$$ showing that THC accelerates the breakdown of brain conncetivity tissues (thats why they perscribe it sick people for pain - it deadens and then kills the pain receptors in the brain). And I guess this is appropo: How may old drug users have you ever seen? (in real life).

Secondly, legalizing a schedule IV drug is silly and will not work for two main reasons:

(1) We have already legalized some drugs in that class (Hydrocodone, anyone?) and the funny thing is, folks still sumggle them around, sell them illegally, and take them illegally.

(2) You cannot expect the folks that are making money off of this illegal activity to just suddenly become "mainstream" - they've been running the show for too long. If their market was suddenly gone they would jealously fight to maintain thier profits, and mass drug wars would ensue. Don't believe me? just ask your dealer what he would do for a living if the dope was legal. If he doesn't kill you on the spot he'll probably laugh in your face.

Third, we tried the reverse of this awhile back...called it prohibition. What a joke that was as people violated the law left, right, and up the center. If we legalize marijuana,what would be next?

Fourth, The cost of law enforcement is the same whether I am arresting a drunk, or a doper. Actually, the real drag is on me, because I have unbelieveable amounts of paperwork to do when I arrest someone (for any offense). The jails are staffed whether they are full or not, and the courthouse folks show up every workday whether there are trials or not. Besides, how many of you have heard about, (or known) someone who has been killed by a driver who was drunk? We can't catch them all now, and we want to add dopers to that group? I'd personally want to catch them before they decide to drive doped up.

In reality, the fact is if I catch an idiot with a couple of joints I usually grind them under my boot on the asphalt, write down thier name in by little book, and tell them I'd better not catch them again. If they are horse's a$$es about it, or if they have more then a little they take the ride.

First, Marijunana is an illegal substance for a number of reasons, mainly because the federal government says it is. Various courts across the country have taken this issue on numerous times, and almost always found the law to be upheld. Mass. is walking a fine line here as the feds can and will withhold certain federal funds if the federal laws are not enforced.

Healthwise: if you have ever seen the images of a cigarette smoker's lungs, you know what tar and nicotine does to them. An unfiltered cigarette is even worse, but no-one has figured out how to filter a joint without filtering out the majority of the desired chemical (THC). So smoking dope really does hurt you, even more then cigarettes. There have also been studies out the a$$ showing that THC accelerates the breakdown of brain conncetivity tissues (thats why they perscribe it sick people for pain - it deadens and then kills the pain receptors in the brain). And I guess this is appropo: How may old drug users have you ever seen? (in real life).

Secondly, legalizing a schedule IV drug is silly and will not work for two main reasons:

(1) We have already legalized some drugs in that class (Hydrocodone, anyone?) and the funny thing is, folks still sumggle them around, sell them illegally, and take them illegally.

(2) You cannot expect the folks that are making money off of this illegal activity to just suddenly become "mainstream" - they've been running the show for too long. If their market was suddenly gone they would jealously fight to maintain thier profits, and mass drug wars would ensue. Don't believe me? just ask your dealer what he would do for a living if the dope was legal. If he doesn't kill you on the spot he'll probably laugh in your face.

Third, we tried the reverse of this awhile back...called it prohibition. What a joke that was as people violated the law left, right, and up the center. If we legalize marijuana,what would be next?

Fourth, The cost of law enforcement is the same whether I am arresting a drunk, or a doper. Actually, the real drag is on me, because I have unbelieveable amounts of paperwork to do when I arrest someone (for any offense). The jails are staffed whether they are full or not, and the courthouse folks show up every workday whether there are trials or not. Besides, how many of you have heard about, (or known) someone who has been killed by a driver who was drunk? We can't catch them all now, and we want to add dopers to that group? I'd personally want to catch them before they decide to drive doped up.

In reality, the fact is if I catch an idiot with a couple of joints I usually grind them under my boot on the asphalt, write down thier name in by little book, and tell them I'd better not catch them again. If they are horse's a$$es about it, or if they have more then a little they take the ride.

Wow.... First to compare ectasy with Pot... thats a stretch :no: Getting caught with 50 pills means he was dealing.. should have gotten 10 yrs :brows:

I want the ppl who are for pot smoking to look at some of the young ppl who smoke regularly. I want you to actually talk to them. Listen to how they sound. Ask them what they do for a living :idea: ask them what their goals are :nuts: If you think pot is harmless... look at these young ppl and come talk to me. Most of them couldnt stand to loose the brain cells they just toasted to start with soapbox.gif

Wow.... First to compare ectasy with Pot... thats a stretch :no: Getting caught with 50 pills means he was dealing.. should have gotten 10 yrs :brows:

I want the ppl who are for pot smoking to look at some of the young ppl who smoke regularly. I want you to actually talk to them. Listen to how they sound. Ask them what they do for a living :idea: ask them what their goals are :nuts: If you think pot is harmless... look at these young ppl and come talk to me. Most of them couldnt stand to loose the brain cells they just toasted to start with soapbox.gif

Hydrocodone is not exactly legal. It is a controlled substance which requires a prescription. It is also an opiate (like heroin) which is a big jump from pot.

Who would the drug war be against? The federal government? If the government stepped in and regulated it and taxed it similar to tobacco or alcohol there wouldnt be enough profit for anyone to bother competing.

The cost savings would be huge from not having to house the criminals in prison. It cost like $90,000 per prisoner per year to house, feed, and give medical treatment.

I think your point about prohibition enforces the reason for legalizing pot. In the 20's people wanted to drink and were going to do it whether it was illegal or not. I think that alot of people today feel the same way about pot.

Hydrocodone is not exactly legal. It is a controlled substance which requires a prescription. It is also an opiate (like heroin) which is a big jump from pot.

Who would the drug war be against? The federal government? If the government stepped in and regulated it and taxed it similar to tobacco or alcohol there wouldnt be enough profit for anyone to bother competing.

The cost savings would be huge from not having to house the criminals in prison. It cost like $90,000 per prisoner per year to house, feed, and give medical treatment.

I think your point about prohibition enforces the reason for legalizing pot. In the 20's people wanted to drink and were going to do it whether it was illegal or not. I think that alot of people today feel the same way about pot.

Harmful or not is irrelevant. It is personal choice. If some idiot wants to destroy their brain, feel free. It is their brain to destroy. The government should stay out of it. Unfortunately this country will never be "free" until each person can make their own choices instead of having the beliefs of others forced upon them.

Willy

Harmful or not is irrelevant. It is personal choice. If some idiot wants to destroy their brain, feel free. It is their brain to destroy. The government should stay out of it. Unfortunately this country will never be "free" until each person can make their own choices instead of having the beliefs of others forced upon them.

Willy

(Now we really know what you're doing up there Lead :yes: )

Funny you should say that....

I could probably trip over the stuff in the woods and still wouldn't know what the heck it is. On the other hand one of my good friends works for the ISP (Indiana State Police) and part of his job is flying around in a chopper looking for it. According to him your right, a good amount of the stuff is grown even in our area. Kinda sad really...

(Now we really know what you're doing up there Lead :yes: )

Funny you should say that....

I could probably trip over the stuff in the woods and still wouldn't know what the heck it is. On the other hand one of my good friends works for the ISP (Indiana State Police) and part of his job is flying around in a chopper looking for it. According to him your right, a good amount of the stuff is grown even in our area. Kinda sad really...