Mass. eases marijuana laws

maddzz1

Harmful or not is irrelevant. It is personal choice. If some idiot wants to destroy their brain, feel free. It is their brain to destroy. The government should stay out of it. Unfortunately this country will never be "free" until each person can make their own choices instead of having the beliefs of others forced upon them.

Willy

Agreed, alcohol and tobacco are both harmful to the body.

Twinkes ain't too great either.

Its a personal choice matter, IMO.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harmful or not is irrelevant. It is personal choice. If some idiot wants to destroy their brain, feel free. It is their brain to destroy. The government should stay out of it. Unfortunately this country will never be "free" until each person can make their own choices instead of having the beliefs of others forced upon them.

Willy

Agreed, alcohol and tobacco are both harmful to the body.

Twinkes ain't too great either.

Its a personal choice matter, IMO.

Hydrocodone is not exactly legal. It is a controlled substance which requires a prescription. It is also an opiate (like heroin) which is a big jump from pot.

Same drug schedule - same penalties and laws apply.

Who would the drug war be against? The federal government? If the government stepped in and regulated it and taxed it similar to tobacco or alcohol there wouldnt be enough profit for anyone to bother competing.

You miss the point....there is never going to be a way to make everyone happy in that picture. Just to make it real - think about this: the government taxes and has made it legal for adults to smoke cigarettes, but people still smuggle them...therefore your logic about legalizing it does not fly.

The cost savings would be huge from not having to house the criminals in prison. It cost like $90,000 per prisoner per year to house, feed, and give medical treatment.

You have been listening too much to your sheriff when he wants more money. I'll say it again...it costs the same to house 200 prisoners as it does to house 400...the jail staff still get paid, the jail doctor still gets paid, and so on.

I think your point about prohibition enforces the reason for legalizing pot. In the 20's people wanted to drink and were going to do it whether it was illegal or not. I think that alot of people today feel the same way about pot.

Nope, wrong again. I gave that example to show you that folks will do what ever they want despite laws to the contrary. If we legalize Marijuana, then the herion folks will want it legalized, and the Meth folks will want it legalized. The line must be drawn somewhere, and for fairness it is drawn where the controlled substances are listed in schedules.

Hydrocodone is not exactly legal. It is a controlled substance which requires a prescription. It is also an opiate (like heroin) which is a big jump from pot.

Same drug schedule - same penalties and laws apply.

Who would the drug war be against? The federal government? If the government stepped in and regulated it and taxed it similar to tobacco or alcohol there wouldnt be enough profit for anyone to bother competing.

You miss the point....there is never going to be a way to make everyone happy in that picture. Just to make it real - think about this: the government taxes and has made it legal for adults to smoke cigarettes, but people still smuggle them...therefore your logic about legalizing it does not fly.

The cost savings would be huge from not having to house the criminals in prison. It cost like $90,000 per prisoner per year to house, feed, and give medical treatment.

You have been listening too much to your sheriff when he wants more money. I'll say it again...it costs the same to house 200 prisoners as it does to house 400...the jail staff still get paid, the jail doctor still gets paid, and so on.

I think your point about prohibition enforces the reason for legalizing pot. In the 20's people wanted to drink and were going to do it whether it was illegal or not. I think that alot of people today feel the same way about pot.

Nope, wrong again. I gave that example to show you that folks will do what ever they want despite laws to the contrary. If we legalize Marijuana, then the herion folks will want it legalized, and the Meth folks will want it legalized. The line must be drawn somewhere, and for fairness it is drawn where the controlled substances are listed in schedules.

Willy

The trouble is, there are some folks who are dumb enough to harm themselves, then hire an attorney and sue the government for not protecting them from it. Freedom is a gift, to be sure, paid for on the backs of those who died fighting for it. They didn't even know what Marijuana was back then...so how has a "belief" that has been forced upon us change things now? A society without reasonable laws (made by the people, by the way) that are enforced by folks who toil under reasonable doubt is anarchy, and all you have to do is look at Somolia to realize that doesn't work.

Willy

The trouble is, there are some folks who are dumb enough to harm themselves, then hire an attorney and sue the government for not protecting them from it. Freedom is a gift, to be sure, paid for on the backs of those who died fighting for it. They didn't even know what Marijuana was back then...so how has a "belief" that has been forced upon us change things now? A society without reasonable laws (made by the people, by the way) that are enforced by folks who toil under reasonable doubt is anarchy, and all you have to do is look at Somolia to realize that doesn't work.

I Think that prohibition is a great example of what would happen with the marijuana situation. When the government banned alcohol bootleggers were everywhere. After it was relegalized the bootleggers slowly went back to working legit jobs. I couldn't tell you when the last time I heard of someone getting busted for making and selling illegal moonshine. If we make it a morality issue I'll use my dad as an example he says marijuana is horrible just like alcohol and crude humor. Should we start handing out jail time to everyone on comedy central?