1987 4.0L 4x4 D44 rear Lacks power.

because the mexi-cannots who had my truck before me fawked up the dizzy index when they swapped the used decrepit friggin distributor in the truck....

which is why I got it for trade in scrap value :D :clapping:

What's a "mexi-cannot" Pat? That sounds politically uncorrect to me. Shame on you kid............ :dunce:

he stole it from the movie :rotf:

What movie? I thought it was a new item at Taco Bell. :D

because the mexi-cannots who had my truck before me fawked up the dizzy index when they swapped the used decrepit friggin distributor in the truck....

What's a "mexi-cannot" Pat? That sounds politically uncorrect to me. Shame on you kid............ :dunce:

what movie? I just came up with it.

hornbrod, it's only politically incorrect if it is untrue. the PO was of hispanic origin. also, I respect the spanish comunity (and ironically I'm majoring in spanish and walked in to college with 37 retro-credits in spanish.)

not only that but the stroker's have the tabs filed off the distributor so that they can be properly tuned

Not all strokers have the tabs removed, and not all need them removed. The ONLY reason for having to tinker with the distributor indexing is if an aftermarket camshaft doesn't have the distributor drive gear properly indexed to the cam lobes. If the camshaft is in spec, there's no reason to cut off the locating tabs.

not only that but the stroker's have the tabs filed off the distributor so that they can be properly tuned

Not all strokers have the tabs removed, and not all need them removed. The ONLY reason for having to tinker with the distributor indexing is if an aftermarket camshaft doesn't have the distributor drive gear properly indexed to the cam lobes. If the camshaft is in spec, there's no reason to cut off the locating tabs.

I agree.

that isn't to say that a distributor cannot be timed incorrectly with ignition though.

if someone places the distributor in it's rightful place, but doesn't bother positioning the rotor to fire in spec with TDC on whichever pistion they're basing it off of (usually number one), then the distributor is technically not indexed properly. it needs to be set this way, and by doing so the only realistic problem that someone should have is being 180 degrees off of the correct position.

hopefully that made sense.

Yes Pat, you are a clever guy. :D

Exacerly right. That's the major reason I went with the Hesco RV-O-B cam mild grind cam to avoid any possible indexing problems. None were needed. :cheers:

ahh you see i pretty much associate honda with being all computerized and my buddies 95 civic need to be timed mechanically. so i figured, well its like 7 years newer so its probably more advanced.

i was wrong... once again. but tomarrow is a new day and ill be a little smarter :waving:

hornbrod, it's only politically incorrect if it is untrue. the PO was of hispanic origin. also, I respect the spanish comunity (and ironically I'm majoring in spanish and walked in to college with 37 retro-credits in spanish.)

it was a movie with Johnny Depp " Once upon a time in Mexico and Johnny ask the guy(Danny Trejo) are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't if you haven't seen the movie rent it a block buster btw cheech marin is also in it here is the link i'll posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3pgC4Q9yI

Mine has had the same problem since I got it. Ive replaced the CAT, cleaned the injectors, and changed most of the sensors. At this point I am not sure if the gear ratio is entirely behind my lack of power. To give an idea, up the mountain passes, 3rd gear at about 45 mph (65mph zone) is my only hope, if I shift to 4th it just bogs down.

Is this normal, or do I have some other problems, ideas???

Thanks.James

3.07 gears + any tire size above 29" = suckage.

:agree: that is why i replace them with 3.55 after the d35 gear got chewed up a bit

most that i have come to know and seen had these cut off or file down other the Hornbrod stroker that was the first i have heard that didn't require the tabe to be cut off and i do believe that hesco may have a topic on this like the yahoo's stroker site. It is always good to learn something new. thanks eagle & hornbrod :cheers:

3.07 gears + any tire size above 29" = suckage.

:agree: that is why i replace them with 3.55 after the d35 gear got chewed up a bit

Not much of an improvement.

Running 3.73 gears and 31x10.50 tires only gets you back to the equivalent of a stock 3.55 ratio on stock tires. 3.73 is a good ratio for 30" tires (which was the plan when I bought the gears), but for anything larger you need at least 4.10s or maybe even 4.56.

Not much of an improvement.

Running 3.73 gears and 31x10.50 tires only gets you back to the equivalent of a stock 3.55 ratio on stock tires. 3.73 is a good ratio for 30" tires (which was the plan when I bought the gears), but for anything larger you need at least 4.10s or maybe even 4.56.

that maybe true when your down on funds and so is you MJ something is better than nothing. I'll know that it will change when going to larger tires and so will the cost. that is what i am preparing for. :cheers:

Oh, I understand the implications of funding. That's how I ended up running 3.73 gears with 31x10.50 tires. The gears had been bought for use in an XJ with 30x9.50s, then the MJ came along and followed me home. 31" tires with 3.07 gears were predictably sucky and I had the gears, so I had 'em installed in the MJ. It was a decent combination on pavement, but it didn't turn it into a rocket ship. And off-road, the crawl ratio was deficient.

Just found a leak in my cruze control vacuum line. Looked at this before and didn't find any thing. Now I know why. the leak was a brittle section in the line that goes down thru the headlight area. Ccuze control test later. Took her out after the leak fix. Actually found it when I moved it to the engine compartment from front bumber. kept hearing air flow in one side of ball. It has two sides one for heater controls and one for cruze. I digress. Stomped on gas at dead stop in rain. Launced me forward but didn't break loose. This thing gets good traction I guess. Power braked it and the tires lit up. Will be testing it out later for up hill power. Will also check timing again after vacuum leak fix. Still a slight miss. Asuming it is injector issue now since timing light shows no break in light pattern on all plugs (new plugs byt he way). Thanks for the help so far guys making some progress here.

On the gearing issue since that has been milled around. What gears should be in my Metric Ton version. It has the D44 rear end as I posted originally.