Rear Main Seal Repair gone bad

Just a little bit of history. I’ve had a small oil leak for the past 12 months-usually only for a few minutes after the engine is turned off. Knowing that this repair is more involved, I changed the valve cover gasket & the 3 O-ring set in the oil filter assembly first but the leak continued.

So I researched all of the posts I could find on this repair, completed the repair on Thursday afternoon, and started her up on Sunday afternoon. Well, more oil than ever is leaking from the area between the rear main seal and transmission bell housing. Oil is actually leaking from the seam on the bottom of the bell housing.

Is there a gasket in the bell housing that could be causing this leak? I really don’t know what could have gone wrong with my repair.

Oh, and Pete, nice job on the new look! :cheers:

No gasket on the bellhousing as there should not be any fluid in there.

If there's oili coming from that, it's either trickling down from the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, head gasket, or the rear main is shot.

Your front bearing retainer on your tranny could also be leaking. I know the AX-5 and AX-15 have them, I can't remember if a BA 10/5 does. If that's leaking it would pour out the bottom of the bellhousing.

Took me 4 or 5 tries to get the RMS of my 88 to stop leaking. Things like a nick on the new seal, not enough silicone added in the corners of the pan, or not waiting overnight to let the silicone cure made it a real nightmare. :(

I completed the repair on Thursday at about 4PM using the Permatex Black RTV. Pete, it cured for aproximately 2+ days. Geonovast, no clutch problems at all.

All signs point to the RMS failing again, but I don't know how it could have happened. Like I said, I followed directions, took my time, and had no regrets or concerns when done.

The original gasket was trashed when I removed it, so there was no reusing it. I used silicone to "glue" a new cork gasket to the pan and then reused it each time. If I had to do it again, I think I'd go with the late model XJ one-piece rubber gasket.

I did the RMS back in 03 or 04 and it's been too long to remember all the details of what went wrong each time. A couple of those times could have been the same issue that maybe I didn't pick up on the first try. But I certainly remember having to drop the pan over and over. :(

Yeah, I used the 1-piece Fel-Pro blue gasket, so I might be able to reuse.

The kick in the pants is that I don't know what the problem is so how will I know how to look for/correct the problem next time? This must be my lack of experience with this particular repair.

After further relection on the repair, I may not have torqued the 2 RMS bolts to the full 80 pounds. I had an old Craftsman torque wrench with the needle and I may have gone a little shy of 80-although they were at least 70.

My next step will be to tighten these bolts to the full 80.

I completed the repair on Thursday at about 4PM using the Permatex Black RTV. Pete, it cured for aproximately 2+ days. Geonovast, no clutch problems at all.

All signs point to the RMS failing again, but I don't know how it could have happened. Like I said, I followed directions, took my time, and had no regrets or concerns when done.

that alone would probably do it. use Ultrablack rtv because basic black RTV isn't rated for oil exposure, and eventually wears down if not immediately.

as for why it is leaking...

did you put the top half of the seal in the right way? it can go in two ways, and only one of them is correct. if you put it in the wrong way, there is a small gap on either side right where the two halves meet, and it will leak like a siv. (if you did this, buy a new seal do not attempt to re-use the one that is in it currently)

Corey, I used the 1-piece blue rubber Fel-Pro gasket and there was no oil leaking from any of the 24 bolts that hold the pan in place. ...and the oil was pouring out while I took it for a tet drive. There is a concentrated oil drip line all the way out the driveway & onto the street.

JeepMJ, I was careful to place the new RMS in the correct direction. I read on several write-ups to be aware of the direction. I plan on buying a new RMS at the dealer today and will take your advice on the UltraBlack RTV and knowing now that Black is not rated for oil exposure gives me hope.

Pete, I didn't notice any marks or grooves in the crankshaft, but I will pay closer attention next time. Does the dealer sell double-lipped seals?

So, I took a closer look at the leak tonight and noticed that oil is leaking from a slot in the starter. The oil level is not over capacity-as a matter of fact it’s about a quart low.

This ebay auction has a close-up picture of the slot.

I did change the oil to 5W-30 after the RMS repair. I normally use 10W-40 but with cold weather coming I figured this might be better choice.

Could a difference in oil weight cause it to leak out of the starter?

funny you mention that location Rob.....I noticed on my 4.0 block when I took my starter out last week to drop the tranny that there is a machined hole on the "ear" of the block casting, directly above the starter. I never noticed it when I was rebuilding the engine, but saw it when I was underneath. It's about 3/4" in diameter, and I stuck my finger in it and it seemed to be open to the bottom end of the engine, but couldn't say for sure.

If you drop a new seal in and pull your starter, do me a favor and check to see if you have the same hole as mine......I'm dying to know what it's for. Doesn't seem to make much sense to have an opening like that directly to the engine. Maybe oil is coming from there, if you have the same hole (???)

Jeff

So, I took a closer look at the leak tonight and noticed that oil is leaking from a slot in the starter. The oil level is not over capacity-as a matter of fact it’s about a quart low.

This ebay auction has a close-up picture of the slot.

I did change the oil to 5W-30 after the RMS repair. I normally use 10W-40 but with cold weather coming I figured this might be better choice.

Could a difference in oil weight cause it to leak out of the starter?

my truck does the same thing :banana: