external fuel pump

yeah just measure the sending units placement on the tank (how high up it needs to be from the bottom) and then cut a hole in your fuel cell. if its not do-able then any fuel could work just put a pressure regulator on the end of it. you could even paint it all and say "HIGH PERFORMANCE" when describing it :D

plus the pump formerly lived in a tank of gas. i don't believe a little water will hurt it.

:clapping:

It might. Gas doesn't cause rust, water does.

uh. not only that, but do you realize that the factory pump isn't rated externally for cooling issues?

the factory pump is inside the tank because the gas cools it and therefor it doesn't overheat. now, you are mixing heat with gasoline...hardly a wise decision IMHO.

ingenious idea, but I'd advise that no one else do it...

are yall this whiney about everything? worse than a bunch of women.

:hmm: Someone offers advice on a potentially life threatening issue and you call them whiney women... :shake: That's just wrong dude :doh:

This is one of those things that seems like a good idea at the time, but there are dire consequences to be paid for mistakes made. You may never have a problem and may not be worried about it, but you should thank the guys here for offering the info so you can make an informed decision on how to proceed. We are concerned for your safety and that of the folks around & with you...not to mention keeping another MJ alive & well :thumbsup:

while i understand that they are thinking it is not safe i just don't see where it is. sure it being mounted externally instead of in the tank it may get a little warmer. however there is still gas flowing thru it that will help cool it. its not going to get hot enough to ignite the fuel in the line. and sure some water splashing on it may cause it to rust out and quit at some point in time. but realistically the truck will be beat to death by then. it being mounted externally isn't much different than running it with an almost empty tank of fuel and actually externally mounted may help it run a little cooler at that time since there will be air moving across it instead of being in a somewhat sealed tank. i'm not suggesting everybody go out and do this but until i see first hand that it won't work it will be staying the way it is. and whn the pump meltdown and burns the truck to the ground i will admit defeat and say that yall are right.

nice electrical connections btw. I really like how you sleeved the female power connector to keep any potentially hazardous metallic objects from shorting it out, causing the truck and potentially driver and perhaps even innocent bystanders to die.

your mentality is all fun and games. and then someone dies or gets hurt, and suddenly no one is laughing.

whatever dude. i erased all of my posts just so you can sleep better at night

Yes, I noticed.

This site is a sort of MJ family/community/reference resource. So you think it's a good idea to ask a question, get all the feedback you can, reject most of it because it doesn't match your preconceptions ... and then erase your tracks. That's not how responsible members of an on-line community act. That type of behavior is usually indicative of a T-R-O-L-L.

you can call me a troll or whatever. and i appreciated some of the responses that i got. i only erased my posts so all of the bickering and bs would stop. there are enough quotes on here for yall to continue if you would like.

you asked for advice. we gave it. there is good tech in this thread (or there was I should say) and it is unfortunate that you feel the way you do. I think that perhaps I may come off strongly sometimes, but am very confident that I speak for all of us when I say that we are only concerned for your safety and that of others around you.

yes, your method worked, but is not within the operating spec of that pump. that said, you have a band-aid repair that should likely be attended to when you have the money for a proper pump. I dropped $250 awhile back on a molley adj. in-line fuel pump for the 3800, have yet to install it but don't intend to drive it before I do. I used a ford in-line fuel pump and am far from happy with the noise and performance.

the only thing out of spec with the way i did it is that its not covered in gas. but tell me how that is different then when the tank is nearly empty? and i agree it may not be the best pump for this setup i just can't see where it is unsafe. and i agree it will probably run a few degrees warmer mounted the way it is than when in the tank with 1/2 tank or fuel or more. and i will address the wire not being fully insulated at the connection. even though i don't see that as a big deal either since i don't go wheeling in piles of scrap metal. i will also put the pics back up so others will know what we are talking about.

yes the hoses are clamped on. but so are the hoses on the stock tank. and it is mounted about as high on the frame rail as it could go. much higher than the stock tank was and alot more out of harms way. and for the record i'm not intentionally trying to reject everything said. i'm just stating my opinion. we all have one

okay but the pump is still in the open. it could be 10 feet high but its still gonna get it. personally, i would build a box around the pump, put rubber between the pump and anything else to stop any sort of arcing. and i see your theory here as i too redneck things. but if everything went as planned you would probabally be running a stock system right? cause the OEM one wouldnt have quit.