Who watched the big debate?

jtdesigns

i don't care if mcain has been to war or served in the military. palin is clueless and has no right to be a vice presidential candidate.

Pete, Eagle, how 'bout banning political discussions entirely like most all the auto/truck forums do. This is a super forum dedicated to our MJs and doesn't need statements as above from people who must live under rocks. They can post up their crap elsewhere on the 100s of available blog sites. Or do a poll and see what the majority opinion is.

The discussion was brought up before with guys on both sides of the fence (the allow-politics, don't-allow-politics fence), and I thought it'd be a fair compromise to allow discussion if it was kept civil. :dunno: I know it's only a matter of time before it breaks down to be a "your candidate sucks", "no your candidate sucks" discussion, but whatever. No one reads the rules anyways.

I fully subscribe to the theory that voting for the "lesser of two evils" is still voting for evil, which I prefer not to do. I went through several elections not voting, as my way of registering a protest. Then I realized that they (meaning the major parties) had no idea why I wasn't voting, so I wasn't really "registering" any protest at all.

Since then I have always voted for the person I think would do the best job as President -- myself. Yes, write-ins are still allowed, so I vote for myself. If anyone else is against both candidates and doesn't like the "official" alternatives, send me a PM and I'll give you my real name to write in.

As to whether or not to allow political discussions here -- it's entirely Pete's decision. I was honored to be asked to help as a moderator, but this is Pete's forum, all the way.

i don't care if mcain has been to war or served in the military. palin is clueless and has no right to be a vice presidential candidate.

Pete, Eagle, how 'bout banning political discussions entirely like most all the auto/truck forums do. This is a super forum dedicated to our MJs and doesn't need statements as above from people who must live under rocks. They can post up their crap elsewhere on the 100s of available blog sites. Or do a poll and see what the majority opinion is.

Pete - Don's right. If we as mature adults cannot speak in an educated way without the "your candidate sucks" stuff then we need to either close it down or ban the discussion.

I fully subscribe to the theory that voting for the "lesser of two evils" is still voting for evil, which I prefer not to do. I went through several elections not voting, as my way of registering a protest. Then I realized that they (meaning the major parties) had no idea why I wasn't voting, so I wasn't really "registering" any protest at all.

Since then I have always voted for the person I think would do the best job as President -- myself. Yes, write-ins are still allowed, so I vote for myself. If anyone else is against both candidates and doesn't like the "official" alternatives, send me a PM and I'll give you my real name to write in.

As to whether or not to allow political discussions here -- it's entirely Pete's decision. I was honored to be asked to help as a moderator, but this is Pete's forum, all the way.

I vote for ya Eagle! :cheers:

Pete - Don's right. If we as mature adults cannot speak in an educated way without the "your candidate sucks" stuff then we need to either close it down or ban the discussion.

there is a difference in saying that palin is clueless and and saying "your candidate sucks". tell me what i said that was uneducated?

there is a difference in saying that palin is clueless and and saying "your candidate sucks". tell me what i said that was uneducated?

I don't see that they are saying that you did that or are uneducated...they just don't want it going that way. Your comments "seemed to be" bordering on being hostile which happens all too easily in these types of "conversations" ;) :cheers: .

I don't see that they are saying that you did that or are uneducated...they just don't want it going that way. Your comments "seemed to be" bordering on being hostile which happens all too easily in these types of "conversations" ;) :cheers: .

Exactly. I believe this forum was created for the exchange of information on Jeep vehicles and how to enjoy them. God knows most of the folks here are much more educated on them then I am, and I'm grateful for them :D

Pete has requested (and instills) a measure of respect and temperance here that is not found in other, similar forums. I would hazard to say thats why most of us come here, and occasionally visit others.

Gold, I'm not saying your uneducated, and I do believe in a person speaking thier mind (so to speak!), I just believe we should stay above the pointed attacks and stick to even-handed discussions when it comes to politics.

As I said, it's probably better to just turn it off, because we all have strong opinions about the topic, and those opinions could potentially harm what we are really here for.

But, I don't drive the train...and I don't get to blow the whistle..... :cheers:

And there is also a difference between calling Palin "clueless" and saying that you don't believe she has the necessary background experience to handle the VP position.

wow, you guys get worked up. i have been around jeep boards for a long time and have seen my share of attack threads and this is not one.

anyway, gotta go check my stocks to see how much i have left after bush is done wi..... oops can't go there.

later

wow, you guys get worked up. i have been around jeep boards for a long time and have seen my share of attack threads and this is not one.

Me too and that is why I like this board so much...they work very hard to keep anything from becoming one of those. :D

anyway, gotta go check my stocks to see how much i have left after bush is done wi..... oops can't go there.

Sorry, just couldn't let this one go. I work in that nasty ol' white collar world as a financial analyst .... I know a thing or two about the markets.

Obviously stocks are down and the economy is really hurting right now. And most people also know that this whole crisis started back when banks and mortgage companies started allowing people to take mortgages that were interest only, or with adjustable rates ... and they handed them out to people with bad, or no credit.

What most people don't know ... or at least don't talk about ... is that it was the democrats with their "everyone should own a home, even if they don't have two nickles to rub together" stuff that started all this. They pushed hard to relax the lending standards so "under-privleged" people could own a home.

Our current economic crisis is very detailed, and I won't bore you with all that crap. Nobody really wants to hear about securitized mortgage pools, rating agencies, and broker house & investment bank policies. I'll spare you.

But, I think we all learned the hard way that if you can't afford something, you shouldn't buy it.

Anyway ... all that to say that you can't point the finger at Bush on the current state of the economy. There are lots of people who you should point at, but on this one, it ain't GW.

Laslty, to get back on topic, someone said earlier in this thread that John McCain is just like Bush and we would have more of the same. In reality, McCain is very different than Bush and has a very different style. Part of McCain's campaign strategy is to distance himself from Bush and show how different they really are.

so voting with bush 95% of the time is different? how is he different?

so the bush administration can take none of the blame for the economy? isn't he the one supposed to be running the country? if the economy was booming, wouldn't people be saying that bush is doing a great job? the reverse doesn't hold true?

sorry, i guess i am just the outsider on a jeep board

so voting with bush 95% of the time is different? how is he different?

so the bush administration can take none of the blame for the economy? isn't he the one supposed to be running the country? if the economy was booming, wouldn't people be saying that bush is doing a great job? the reverse doesn't hold true?

sorry, i guess i am just the outsider on a jeep board

Hey, you are welcome to your opinion. I'll never tell someone how they should think.

Just remember that things are always more complicated than they seem. And most of what you hear on TV is most likely very biased or just a bold faced lie.

Bush's problem is his communication .... or lack thereof. Nobody really knows what the heck he is doing because he shuns the press and does a crap poor job of letting the American people know what he is doing. So we end up hearing a bunch of media SPECULATION about whats going on.

So, for all we know, maybe he just got delt bad hand and is actually playing it really really well. Or maybe he is a doofus and doesn't know what the heck he is doing.

So, in the end, all we are left to do is decide which TV commentater we are going to believe, cause from where we stand, we really don't have any factual information to digest.

So, in the end, all we are left to do is decide which TV commentater we are going to believe, cause from where we stand, we really don't have any factual information to digest

I wanted to agree that this is extremely true. I'm the first one to bring up that my political or religous views do not in any way belong on this forum but what we hear or see on the news is not the story.

Yes, it is based on factual information, however 90% is far from the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Its gunna come down to if i feel lazy on the day of voting or not. i'm not voting for either idiot. And yes i do know more than 2 people are running, but does anyone even care?I looked at ALL the people running and aparantly Santa Claus is running for president :roll:.

1 of 2 things is gunna happen when its time to vote for me...i'll wake up look at the clock and go back to bed, or i will actually wear some pants outside of my apartment and go pencil in Jesus Christ for president jamminz.gif. So for me its either go to work or sleep...or go vote and waste my time :redX: