Why am i getting 14 mpg

hi i got a 89 jeep comanche sportruck with stock susp. 23s 2.5l and I'm getting only 14mpg i have replaced the cat, distributer cap ,new o2 sensor ,new plugs ,new air filter, and new fuel pump i should be getting around 20mpg any ideas wats wrong

It's got to be the roll bar causing wind drag...........

:teehee:

That's hard to believe, cause my first MJ 6+ years ago was a stock, 2wd, 2.5, 5 speed, and I was pushing 20-22 mpg :hmm:

You went thru all the items that you should, but, did you check if the brakes are dragging?, are the axles in good shape, IE: the bearings lubed and working correctly?

Are you running stock tires?? Like 215/75R15's and the proper air pressures?

And in previous treads........how are you calculating the mileage?

When you replace the distributor cap you should ALWAYS also replace the rotor. When you replace the cap and the plugs, it only makes sense to also replace the wires.

Also, make sure your odometer is correct. Either check is against a measured 10 miles you can find along the road in some areas (a measured 10 miles against a 1/10 mile odometer will tell you how far off you are to 1%) or check against a GPS. The odometer and speedometer run of the same cable. If one is off either from running the wrongs size tire, regearing the axle or replacing the speedo gear with the wrong one, the other will be off by the same fraction.

And as Wildman asked, how are you calculating your mpg?

The only accurate way is to always fill your tank to full, where the pump shuts off (but don't try to top it off, as that gas will only end up coming out of the vents on top and hopefully in your charcoal cannister, if it and it's lines are still there and operating), let it go down to 1/4 or 1/2 tank before filling and averaging that number for 3 or more fill ups.

I'm calculating 16gal divided by milage between fill ups so if i had example if i had 3 gallons of gas and 214,142 and when its empty there is 214,184 on odometer i then minius the difference so 184-142=42 then

divide it by 3gal 42/ 3=14mpg

by the way is in reference on the breaks I'm wondering also is my e-brake wire snaped at the stud is it possible that my rear drums are still rubbing?

by the way is in reference on the breaks I'm wondering also is my e-brake wire snaped at the stud is it possible that my rear drums are still rubbing?

It's not only possible, it is probable.

23x7.5x15

Is that what's listed on the sidewall as the tire size? I never heard of that size. A stock 2.5L MJ should probably have had 205/75R15 or 215/75R15 tires. Either of those would be quite a bit larger than a 23" tire. If you are running a tire that small with the stock speedometer gear, you are not really traveling as far as your odometer says you are traveling. Which would make your real-world gas mileage WORSE, not better.

Check those brakes.

ok correction they are 223x7.5x15

148d68c155b1763.7452285931.jpeg

Look closer, probably 225/75/15. If it was originally equipped with 205's, then you are traveling a bit further than the odometer is showing. (also traveling faster than the speedo is showing).

thats true but its not going to affect the outcome much. maybe 1mpg. a 205/75r15 is not much smaller than a 215/75r15

So he has roughly a 28" tall tire based on what I see. A 225 is just slightly over 28" tall.

As for MPG calculations...it is as simple as fill up the truck, note the mileage, drive it through at least half the tank full, fill it again and note the mileage again. Subtract your first fill up mileage from the second and divide that by the gallons used.

200 miles traveled - divided by - 10 gallons = 20 mpg

Looking at some tire data I compiled awhile ago, a 195/75R15 was rated at 760.7 revolutions per mile. A 225/75R15 was rated at 713.1 revolutions per mile. That's a difference of 6.26 percent, which is how much the speedometer and odometer will be off (assuming they were somewhat accurate with the stock tires).

If we apply that to a calculated fuel consumption of 14 MPG, the corrected figure comes out to 14.8 MPG. Still quite a bit short of what it should be.