Why am i getting 14 mpg

My 88 should have been capable of decent mileage (back when it was still just 2wd), but I never got anything over about 12-13mpg. Something to do with my driving style I'm sure. :roll: Terrain can affect mileage too. Did you change your fuel filter yet?

My 88 should have been capable of decent mileage (back when it was still just 2wd), but I never got anything over about 12-13mpg. Something to do with my driving style I'm sure. :roll: Terrain can affect mileage too. Did you change your fuel filter yet?

Must be my style too...I can't seem to pass the magical 14mpg mark in mixed city/highway.

On an all highway trip I managed an awesome 17mpg...Go 4.0L! :brows:

If you are truely idling at 1500 due to a vacuum leak, that would also affect your MAP sensor causing an overly rich mixture. My 87 2.5, 4x4, AW4 with 4.56 gears averages around 22 mpg. That includes my wife using it as a lawn and garden hauling device. ( Her way of telling me to fix her wheelbarrow tire :D ).

Of course that auto keeps me from hammering on it, cause it just gets louder with no faster acceleration. I also don't drive over 55 with it.

i had a high idle problem a while back..

i made my own vaccum leak test too 8) .

unhook the intake tube from your filter box, then put your hand over the hose, tr to cover the entire hose. it should suck the $#!& out of your hand but keep going. lower the idle to about where you think it should be and put the hose back in the filter box. if the rpm slowly rises you have a vaccum leak. if that happens just check your hoses make sure there all there etc..if there is a vaccum leak it will be pretty obvious.

good luck

also check how you wired the tach i had that same one befor i got a new cluster and that same problem happened thought it was wrong looked at the wires and they were wrong. it was toolong ago to rember what wire was in the wrong place but there was a wrong on for sure do a good look over and

check the ground wire

i can't tell you how many problems i have fixed by finding a better ground

Nothing mentioned so far would account for a 6+ mpg loss, except for the brakes. You mentioned that you replaced the 02 sensor. That would have been my 1st guess. Are u sure it wasn't cracked during installation? Possibly, you got the wrong 1? Are there any other factors? How does the engine run overall? Does it have normal power? Check ur O2 sensor again. I'm not sure if ur engine is L-EFI controlled or not (L-EFI is FI with airflow meter that checks the amount of air flowing through the intake manifold). The meter might need to be replaced.