Tires

So, where do you guys get your tires. I've been considering tirerack.com but I hate paying the extra $ for shipping when that could be my spare. I also have a friend who can get me 10% off at WalMart, I'm thinking Liberator A/T or the BFG Land Terrain or Open terrain, they kinda look like BFG A/T. Anyway I'm not really worried about serious mudding, I just want something a little more aggressive than all seasons, Pennsylvania winters can be a SOB.

I won't pay a penny over tirerack for locally purchased tires (and that includes mounting/balancing) because I've found that most tire places will compete for your dollars. Take a quote from one place to another and they should try to beat it. Keep doing that until you're happy enough with the results. Based on what I've paid and what tires are listed for in advertisements like tirerack, I'm certain that the markup on tires is incredible.

Jeep on!

--Pete

I've order from tirerack.com a lot of other tires on other vechiles and always came out better than the local places...I will say that the Liberator AT's are pretty decent tires...had them on a ZJ I had a few years ago and never had a bit of trouble with them...

I almost always by my tires and rims of the internet. I also give the local guys a chance to beat the price. Most can't even come close, but if they are within 25 bucks I will buy from them, just cause I hate sending my money away to big corparations. Also when you need your tire fixed, are you going to send it back to BFE to get it done.

Most AT tires are just slightly different then your MT's. I have had good luck with the Pro Comp AT's, and Kodiak Gillette AT (these are made by Dunlop) Wear on them has been great. Off road they do great if aired down to about 15-17psi. Down side is the sidewalls bruise easily on both makes.

Currently I am running BFG MTs on both of my rigs, and they are the OLd style TA's. Problem with these is thay have weak sidewalls as well. I just tore one, and had a lil trouble finding a place willing to tube it and put an inside patch on them. Found a place. Only reason why I did it was cause the tires have 80% tread.

Like DirtyComanche, I often buy used. People with SWB Jeeps often go huge on tires and it's possible to get some hot deals on almost new street-size tires. My best deal so far was a complete set of five 30x9.50/15s with about 60% tread, all mounted on Jeep 5-spoke factory alloys, ready to bolt on and go. Those were my trail tires on the '88 XJ for two seasons (or was it three?), and they are now my street tires on the '87 Comanche.

For new, I buy only Cooper. They are made in the USA, and they are usually priced a bit lower than either BFG or Goodyear and deliver much longer tread life. I'm partial to the original Discoverer LT, but the newer Discoverer A/T comes with a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty that might be hard to ignore.

FWIW, I have heard and read from multiple independent sources that Pep Boys house brand tires are Coopers.

It came out in the lawsuit that Cooper makes about 75 different brands of tires, Futura's being one of them.

I bought a set of tires from Tire Rack, and had problems getting them mounted/balanced. I used their recommended dealers, and the dealers all wanted to rape me. The price would have been about 3 or 4 dollars total less than if I had bought the tires direct from them.

So I have bought tires from Sam's Club last two times. A set of Liberators for my wife's DD XJ, and a set of Dunlop MT's for my trail jeep. Good price and free mounting. I don't like Wally World's particular brand of capitalism, but if the local guy doesn't want to be competitive. Then he deserves to be Wal*Marted....

I'm tempted to buy some tire pliers so I can mount them myself...

My current set I had a friend who works at a tire shop hook me up with the mounting @ $5 a tire. Other than I goofed and one of them leaks.

I used BBs to balance mine. Did it work? I don't know, still haven't driven the damn thing.

It came out in the lawsuit that Cooper makes about 75 different brands of tires, Futura's being one of them.

Lawsuit? What lawsuit? Did this come out of the recent "unpleasantness" between Ford and Firestone, or are you referring to some other lawsuit?

Lawsuit? What lawsuit? Did this come out of the recent "unpleasantness" between Ford and Firestone, or are you referring to some other lawsuit?

I found it about a year and a half ago. I will have to see if I can find the page again. It had all of the Cooper built brands listed. I don't know the history, but it was over failures of some type.