RTV on water pump gasket?

Iv always used rtv or my favorite is "the right stuff" but iv gotton used to using gaska cinche and i recomend using it more than anything else . it won't weld the gaskets to there mating surfaces and makes clean up a breez and i have never had a problem using any of the above products aslong as u use them very sparingly

I don't think it needs RTV from what I remember. I'm 99% sure I put the last one on dry. Which in retrospect was kinda stupid. Normally I'd throw crisco on it... Then it's reuseable.

You're kidding...right?

Another person, another opinion: I always use RTV on gaskets. Yes, it destroys them if you have to remove the part, but if the mating surfaces have a small irregularity the RTV can make the difference. If you crank down on the mounting bolts to force the gasket itself to close up a small irregularity can crack the housing.

I don't think it needs RTV from what I remember. I'm 99% sure I put the last one on dry. Which in retrospect was kinda stupid. Normally I'd throw crisco on it... Then it's reuseable.

You're kidding...right?

Another person, another opinion: I always use RTV on gaskets. Yes, it destroys them if you have to remove the part, but if the mating surfaces have a small irregularity the RTV can make the difference. If you crank down on the mounting bolts to force the gasket itself to close up a small irregularity can crack the housing.

Hey this is Dirty,,, you did read his signature right? jamminz.gif

I like Right Stuff as well, but I have never used any type of sealer on a 4.0L water pump and I have changed a few. The only gaskets I have ever put any kind of sealer on were cork gaskets. If you have a rubber gasket on something...there is definitely no need for sealer.

You're kidding...right?

No, not at all. But I've never crisco'd a water pump gasket yet. I should have on the last one I did, I just wasn't really thinking right or in the mood. However, normally I do it to EVERY felt gasket. They'll still seal fine, but when you take it apart it'll just fall out and look near as good as new. I'm not saying I intend to reuse the gasket until the end of time (eventually it'll degrade), but if I had to pull the water pump for some reason (or far more likely, the t-stat housing) I would not have to have a spare gasket on me.

We do it on the aircraft ALL the time. For a lot of maintenance you have to pull components that are not related to what you're doing. And if the gasket crumbles when you do it and you're in some god-forsaken place without a spare, you ain't going anywhere until a spare gets flown in.

for my stroker I coated both side with a thin coat, and let it dry. Then I installed it. It does not leak. I figure it will let it mold to the irregularities a little better, without all the clean up if I pop the pump. 12k miles so far.

I usually tell people to RTV it to the block if they are installing it while the engine is in the truck. That way you do not have to worry about the gasket getting out of place during install.