death wobble...i hate coil springs..

well ive decided to do a leafspring conversion in the front of my mj..

coil springs are a dumb design anyways...i have death wobble like crazy...

i prolly won't be able to do the conversion for awhile but its gonna be worth it...

DW is usually associated with worn or loose steering component(s) such as the track bar, TREs, hubs, etc. I don't think switching to leaf springs will necessarily fix the problem.

DirtyComanche, I thought GW axles were 58" WMS to WMS. :dunno:

A GW D44 front is 61 WMS. A rear is 58 WMS.

Fun huh?

Go figure! The reason for the ? was when i went to the boneyard i saw a 84 GW with Dana 44's so i measured the back axle and springs and came up with the same distance (from eye to eye) as my MJ. :nuts: I know that the spring perches are different, as well as the gear ratios, axles, lugs... but i got to thinkin (watch out) and wondered if Jeep was using same leaf springs on GW as MJ! :idea:

Seen the death wobble many times with different Jeepers. 9 out of 10 times death wobble comes into play when their coil spring Jeep is lifted, and the pinion angle has changed. Caster Caster Caster !

For instance, had guy at work come up acouple of months ago complaining about his front axle going crazy after hitting a bump or pothole. Brought a couple of my used TeraFlex adj. LCA's along with a degree finder to his house. Less than 15 or 20 min, measured his stock arms, extended the Tera LCA's a few rounds, and about 3 degrees lower, his death wobble was put to rest.

In my opinion the MJ has a really good combination "coils and leafs".

Death Wobble sucks a major one, I had it about a year ago, took it in to get fixed, cost me a lil over $800 to fix. Now almost a year later IT'S BACK!!!! I swear that if I didn't have so much sentimental value in this truck I'd ship it off to the crusher.

Death Wobble sucks a major one, I had it about a year ago, took it in to get fixed, cost me a lil over $800 to fix. Now almost a year later IT'S BACK!!!! I swear that if I didn't have so much sentimental value in this truck I'd ship it off to the crusher.

What all was done in the $800 fix? I know some people install dual stabilizer shocks sometimes, but that just masks the root problem.

What all was done in the $800 fix? I know some people install dual stabilizer shocks sometimes, but that just masks the root problem.

Well, that's the funny (not really) side of the story, the guy I took it to claims he had to replace almost everything up front TRE's sway bar, you name it. If I could find the work order again (somewhere in a mess of papers) I'd give a good look over, because a real good friend of mine that I trust, says that only one, maybe two parts were replaced. So, when I get a chance to I'm gonna take it back to the guy and tell him off, and that he'd better fix it right this time, and he'd better not charge me for it either.

• 2 years later...

I fixed mine by replacing a bad front axle U-joint, new bushings in the LCAs and a new track bar and bracket.

It seems a track bar which can move only slightly can allow death wobble to occur, but one that's got 1/2" of slop (like my buddy's Cherokee) will just let it slowly wander all over the road.

And yes, he's getting a new adjustable one from Motion. Actually expected it yesterday when UPS dropped off his leaf springs.