Salt Free...

87 SWB, 2wd, 2.5L, Ax4, 4" lift, 31" tires --------------> $400

Gas to get said MJ -----------------------------------------> $230

U-Haul Dolly -------------------------------------------------> $264

Food and Hotels --------------------------------------------> $200

1315 Miles in a ZJ with wife and 2 kids(6 and 3) -----> :nuts:

Owning a salt free MJ in upstate NY --------------------> PRICELESS!!!

Short term plans:

1. Hook up a temp battery terminal and see if it runs.

2. Reinstall seat - driveshaft and test ride.

3. If its driveable "as is", replace windshield out of the 89 parts MJ.

4. Fix floorboards.

5. Drive it for the summer.

Come winter it will be garaged and the real fun will start:

1. 4.0L, 4wd, AW4 conversion.

2. 2500 frontend.

3. Get enough lift for 33's without having to trim any sheetmetal.

4. Disc brake swap on my MJ D44 rear.

5. Install D44.

Make sure take pics. A 2wd to 4wd post for the DIY section would be nice.

Definately will be lots of pics. Might take me awhile, but ill try and do a good write up for the DIY section.

That is a pretty nice MJ. You can't beat the deal you got on it. Keep us posted

Thanx. Was worth every fighting/screaming mile 8)

Owning a salt free MJ in upstate NY --------------------> PRICELESS!!!

That said it all :thumbsup:

You know where I'm coming from. Just being able to get underneath it without a facefull of rust is enjoyable :brows:

You know where I'm coming from. Just being able to get underneath it without a facefull of rust is enjoyable :brows:

congrats, and I agree. lucky enough to have one MJ with as little rust as that one, and another MJ that has acquired a bit more than that (in repair stages...)

no rust in face keeps a man happy.

Who is this rust that u speak of :hmm: and why is every one from upstate new york, i got a friend that lives in binghamton and its only like 5 min from pa but he is from upstate and don't u tell him other wise :D :shake:

Who is this rust that u speak of :hmm: and why is every one from upstate new york, i got a friend that lives in binghamton and its only like 5 min from pa but he is from upstate and don't u tell him other wise :D :shake:

New York is divided by those that live in it. Everything north and west of Newburgh is considered to be upstate. South from there is a whole different country as far as I'm concerned. Now if we could just get the politicians to put that line on the map :brows:

New York is divided by those that live in it. Everything north and west of Newburgh is considered to be upstate. South from there is a whole different country as far as I'm concerned. Now if we could just get the politicians to put that line on the map :brows:

LMAO :rotfl2: they do the same thing here in cali except its a NOR CAL or a SO CAL but if ur central u get to pick :brows:

EDIT: by budy there always said if u didnt live in the city u were upstate

Put a battery in today and tried to get it running, no luck. Had dash power, and lights were working but couldnt get it to turn over. Tried the old screwdriver on the starter and still nothing :eek: . Looks like the starter is toast or its siezed up, either way i don't think I'm dumping any money into the 2.5L just to drive it for 2 months :nuts: . Guess ill get it into the garage here in the next few weeks and start collecting more pieces i need for the buildup. Will post updates with pics as we move along.

Yea........we don't count the City as part of New York :teehee:

As far as that 2.5 goes........I know where a nice low mileage 4.0 (63K), married to a AW4 and a 231 sits in WNY :roll:

For what it matters........you got a good rust free MJ, I'm sure you can find a good rotted out donor around you, or did you plan on using ole' rusty for the donor :D

For what it matters........you got a good rust free MJ, I'm sure you can find a good rotted out donor around you, or did you plan on using ole' rusty for the donor :D

I think I'm going to use my 89 XJ for the donor. Id rather have the Aw4 than a 5spd and the interior is in pretty good shape. But things change and i have my eye out for other parts MJ/XJ, only time will tell what i end up doing.

As far as that 2.5 goes........I know where a nice low mileage 4.0 (63K), married to a AW4 and a 231 sits in WNY :roll:

Now hold on Wildman, I called dibs on that drivetrain a while back, IF you sold it. :brows: And YOU told me you were going to hang on to it for now. So, is it for sale now LOL? ;)

Now hold on Wildman, I called dibs on that drivetrain a while back, IF you sold it. :brows: And YOU told me you were going to hang on to it for now. So, is it for sale now LOL? ;)

What??? :dunno:

You think I only have one low mileage drive train?????

Well, your right, I only have one with 63K on it.......the other one has 67k.

:teehee:

Plus, that was a while ago, and I since found a '88 with 105K on it that I'm going to use for the one I need. Things change with time, and I find "new" donors.......and that also changes things :yes:

SO.......You want me to keep that 63K 4.0 until you show up here????

(Sorry to step on your tread here Wanderin :oops: )

(Sorry to step on your tread here Wanderin :oops: )

:shake: Thats what the forum is for, just because i started this thread dosnt mean other members can't communicate(sp?) in it. Besides ill be looking for parts and what not so i make mental notes of who has what in stock ;)

:banana: I got it running :banana:

The engine sounds good as does the fairly new exhaust. Put the driveshaft in and drove it around the yard in the rain. Found some more things to fix. Tried the wipers and they went up and stopped :rant: then i tried the lights. Headlights are good but the right turn signal is stuck on, maybe just the relay :dunno: . No big surprise...that little four banger dosnt like turning those 31" tires, seems whoever put the lift and tires on never changed the gear ratio to compensate.

I thought that was your truck......sad to see it go :oops: but at least it went to a good home

Wanderin, you shoulda stopped over on your roadtrip and said hi.....I'm about an hour away from where you picked up.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Been a long time but life happened....I'm back at it now though :chillin:

Drivers floor before patch...

New floors welded in by a friend before project got put on hold. Ordered some Rust Converter and Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood to seal the floors up.

He did a good job except he didnt butt weld them, now i need to use some seam sealer to seal that up so it dosnt rot out....

Nice bumper that '$500 MJ' made for me.

Tight fit but its on for now. I'll probably end up drilling those rivets out and takeing that curved piece out.

Need to mark where to drill for the extra mount.

Dropped the spare tire when i mounted the bumper. I still smile every time i crawl under and look up :D .

I also put in a new wiper assembly but when i turn them off they just stop instead of coming back down, I'll look into that one of these days. Managed to get all the lights working and gutted the converter(why it ran like crap) and was about to get it inspected but after seeing pics of the 97+ dash in "Project Onyx" I'm looking for a new parts vehicle.

Tight fit but its on for now. I'll probably end up drilling those rivets out and takeing that curved piece out.

Thats exactly what I did on mine.

Glad to see its on the truck and things lined up good!