silly tire question

inches to metric can be a tricky conversion. Sure the math is easy, but the difference between a 225/75r16 (29.3x8.9") and a 235/70r16 (29.0x9.3") and a 245/70r16 (29.5x9.6") is actually smaller than some 31x10.5s from one manufacturer compared to another manufacturer. Don't limit yourself to a single metric size in your searches. I just found a set of newish 235/70s for the Libby (which is why I had those numbers on hand) and was hunting down all sorts of metric sizes that would work.

I made a spreadsheet where I plugged in various numbers and got the inches equivalent. Much faster than using an online calc and I could always go back and reference it.

for a 245/70r16 (variables are in bold):

245 / 25.4 = width

((245 / 25.4) * 0.70) *2 + 16 = diameter

i have a couple more questions but i didnt want to make another topic for them.

1 i have seen bushwacker fender flares lables as 2door xj/mj flares, so am i to understand that 2 door xj flares are the same as the ones for an mj?

2 how many amps is the stock alternator for the renix 4.0 and how many 100 watt lights can run off of it(or the mathmatical equasion for me to figure it out myself).

Erik :beerhead:

1 i have seen bushwacker fender flares lables as 2door xj/mj flares, so am i to understand that 2 door xj flares are the same as the ones for an mj?

You may have been led to believe that, but you would have been misled.

The STOCK flares for all XJs are the same. The 2-door and 4-door are identical. When you get into Bushwhackers, they make a different one for the 4-door because a section of it has to mount on the rear door due to the larger size.

The rear MJ flares are not the same as rear XJ flares. They are approximately 2" longer and 2" higher than the XJ flares. It may be possible to use 2-door XJ flares on an MJ, but I am not certain.

I was always told the 2dr ones works, so :dunno:

You mean the 2-door Bushwhackers? Yeah, they might work, because they are intended to go on an XJ after you open up the stock wheel opening. On an MJ I guess you would need to trial mount them first and mark where they extend to, and then see how much material you can actually trim. It will be less than on an XJ.

It's an expensive experiment if they don't fit, though. I would want to see some photos and maybe some measurements before I plunked down my hard-earned cash on a set, but if they will work they'd probably look pretty nice.

I was always told the 2dr ones works, so :dunno:

You mean the 2-door Bushwhackers? Yeah, they might work, because they are intended to go on an XJ after you open up the stock wheel opening. On an MJ I guess you would need to trial mount them first and mark where they extend to, and then see how much material you can actually trim. It will be less than on an XJ.

It's an expensive experiment if they don't fit, though. I would want to see some photos and maybe some measurements before I plunked down my hard-earned cash on a set, but if they will work they'd probably look pretty nice.

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/produc ... 8f72fe04f5

Yes 2 door XJ Bushwackers and MJ Bushwackers are the exact same thing (same part number even). We've fitted them on the MJ without any issues...

Here's a stock photo with them installed.

CT86JeepCommanche_10912.jpg

Saweeet!! I think I may have just finally figured out what I want to do about the flares on mine since no one seemed to like my idea of painting mine silver to match the bumpers and light bar ;) .

Saweeet!! I think I may have just finally figured out what I want to do about the flares on mine since no one seemed to like my idea of painting mine silver to match the bumpers and light bar ;) .

We made their own product page for future reference in searching so their are no questions any longer about them. We also added a few installed pics to that page as well.

Also, BW does have specific MJ install directions with surprisingly good measurements for both the SWB and LWB models as to where exactly everything needs placed/cut. If you happen to not get the MJ specific directions with your flares just let us know, as we do have it in .pdf that we are happy to email.

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... cts_id=564

The only prob is that in states like PA you're required by state inspection to cover your tires if they stick out past your fenders. Even if you get away with it like I did by putting by stock wheels and tires back on for inspection the police in my area are sticklers for the rule and pull me over constantly because my front tires stick out past the fenders. I haven't seen many other options besides BW to solve this problem. At $400 bucks a set they're not cheap but I'd like to know of a better alternative.

The only prob is that in states like PA you're required by state inspection to cover your tires if they stick out past your fenders. Even if you get away with it like I did by putting by stock wheels and tires back on for inspection the police in my area are sticklers for the rule and pull me over constantly because my front tires stick out past the fenders. I haven't seen many other options besides BW to solve this problem. At $400 bucks a set they're not cheap but I'd like to know of a better alternative.

May not be "better" but a lot cheaper is those rolls of rubber fender extender stuff that J. C. Whitney sells.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/EASY-TO-TRIM-R ... _10101.jcw

It's cheap, and it's flexible. What's not to like? If you have wide tires that stick out, get the heavy-duty, 3" type.

If you wheel, say no to bushwackers.. They'll get broken, you'll cry, I will laugh.

my truck is beaten to the end of the earth and thay are still there with no cracks

now on my chevy thay lasted 2 runs and went in the trash

Do your front tires stick out the whole way around, or just on the front side? I know some newer year Cherokees (95? 96) have front flares that get wider on the front to make up for the front of the body (fenders) getting narrower.

Very nice, thanks fer the page Eagle. Have you tried them yourself?

I have a roll of the standard width stuff, but I took off the 31x10.50 tires so I don't need to install it. I goofed -- I bought the style that needs a flat lip inside the wheel arch, and the kid who sold me the MJ cut rear wheel openings back so far there is no metal there I could fold back to make a lip. I should have bought the style for surface mounting.

It's good, heavy rubber. I don't know how long it would stay flexible once exposed to U.V. in the sun, but it's pretty solid stuff.