Column shift indicator

My shift indicator is out of sync. Any way to adjust the small steel cable that contols the indicator on the dash? Was about one gear out of sync 'til I tried to remove dash cluster to replace some guages, now doesn't even show until it is in drive, then shows between N and R. Oops.

The indicator cable is attached to the steering column shroud with a clip. Reach under and remove the clip. To align the pointer, put the transmission in PARK, align the pointer with the PARK position, then re-install the clip on the column shroud.

OR, since you have the shift indicator in the cluster, you do not have a full gauge cluster. You could swap in a full gauge cluster and use an aftermarket indicator like below.

Hornbrod, Do you have a link to where you got the gear selector for the top of your column? What did you have to do to wire it to the shift cable? I am planning to swap a cluster next weekend.

Here's the link to the manufacturer, Ididit. You'll want the 3-speed indicator with the AW4. Pick out the style you want, then search for the part number. I actually got mine on Ebay new for about halfprice. The shift bezel mounts w. either double-sided tape or screws on the stationary upper column housing, and the pointer mounts on the moving lower housing behind the bezel. Very simple.

http://www.ididitinc.com/accessory_pages/sh.htm

The indicator cable is attached to the steering column shroud with a clip. Reach under and remove the clip. To align the pointer, put the transmission in PARK, align the pointer with the PARK position, then re-install the clip on the column shroud.

OR, since you have the shift indicator in the cluster, you do not have a full gauge cluster. You could swap in a full gauge cluster and use an aftermarket indicator like below.

Looks like the oil pressure is running a little high hornbrod! :D

• 6 years later...

My indicator is out of whack a bit and I'd like to fix it. I did a quick look but could not see what you're talking about. Does anyone have a pic of the clip? Do I need to remove the full-length lower dash trim piece to see this?

It's just a cable with a metal tab slid on the column. My clip wore and was sliding so I made a small notch in the column shroud to hold it in place. I will take a pic when I get home. Just a question when you shift is your indicator moving at all? If not then you may not be able to find it b/c it isn't there may have broke?

• 6 years later...
35 minutes ago, Rubikahn said:

Anyone have a pic of this clip? I looked under the column while shifting and didn’t see anything moving. My lower dash is off so I took a pic of what I’m looking at. 

939F54BD-76E5-4C8A-95F3-4DEAE8DDA9E0.jpeg

I believe the shroud he was referring to was the plastic around the column. Mine was disconnected and not working too. The cable looked like it ran through there and I'm guessing to the back of the guage cluster since the indicated thing moves there. I don't have the indicator on the column. Maybe there is different cables for different setups and different cable mounting locations. I just have a wire with nothing attached to the end. I'm guessing something broke.

19 minutes ago, Noendnsight said:

I believe the shroud he was referring to was the plastic around the column. Mine was disconnected and not working too. The cable looked like it ran through there and I'm guessing to the back of the guage cluster since the indicated thing moves there. I don't have the indicator on the column. Maybe there is different cables for different setups and different cable mounting locations. I just have a wire with nothing attached to the end. I'm guessing something broke.

Ok, I’ll look to see if that comes off. I do need to adjust it since it’s off a little, but the real reason I need to find this thing is because I’m going to be doing a full cluster swap. There’s a post in the forum about someone who was doing a cluster swap and didn’t know/ forgot to unclip this cable and snapped it.