Changing the valve cover gasket, How difficult?

Very easy. i also bought the good felpro gasket, worth every penny. While you have the cover off i would take the baffles out and clean them. You can use some rtv to put them back in. I also cleaned up the cover and painted it. I poked holes in a piece of cardboard to put the bolts in so i could keep them in order and put them back in the same place they came out of. I also replaced the ccv lines that come off the front and back of the valve cover.

I just installed it as is. These trucks came from the factory without a gasket on them. If I look up the application at work, there still is no gasket listed for it and our engine guy at work uses only silicone on them. I figured if I paid that much for a gasket...it had better work as is ;) ...and it has done great jamminz.gif

I used to clean the valve cover really well and use RTV. The grey axle/engine sealer from MOPAR works great. If you really want to up grade. Go with the newer stamped metal valve cover with the reuseable steel shim and rubber gasket. You need a couple of newer head bolts that have the locating pins for the gasket, the cover with PCV stuff and the bolts.

I wouldn't call a stamped steel cover an upgrade. That scenario just doesn't make sense to me...why would you want to change from the aluminum cover if nothing is wrong with it? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary expense. :dunno:

For the ability to have a real gasket, not RTV. And a less problematic PCV system. Still a fixed orifice, but without that silly flapper that carbons up, or the too long tubes that need to have holes drilled in the sides so they aren't in the oil. Or maybe just a matter of taste (or lack therof? :D ). I just don't like how dingy those cast covers look as they age. :dunno:

For the ability to have a real gasket, not RTV. And a less problematic PCV system. Still a fixed orifice, but without that silly flapper that carbons up, or the too long tubes that need to have holes drilled in the sides so they aren't in the oil. Or maybe just a matter of taste (or lack therof? :D ). I just don't like how dingy those cast covers look as they age. :dunno:

Mines aluminum ... :brows: And its 19 1/2 years old :D

Image Not Found

AHHH...it's a "bling" thing... ;) :brows:

OK...thanks...I was just wondering. Yes, the aluminum cover is easy to use a real gasket on as well. :cheers:

when I did my head gasket job the head kit came with a cork valve cover gasket. For some extra insurance I used blue rtv on both serfaces and I haven't had any issues. and that part of the job wasn't bad at all. one of the kids that helped me painted my cover an interesting color.... neon green. I'll post a pic later.

when I did my head gasket job the head kit came with a cork valve cover gasket. For some extra insurance I used blue rtv on both serfaces and I haven't had any issues. and that part of the job wasn't bad at all. one of the kids that helped me painted my cover an interesting color.... neon green. I'll post a pic later.

2619663_23.jpg

Not difficult to do at all. Be sure to get the good gasket from Fel-Pro. It runs about $35, but it's worth every penny.

Here is some info on my build thread. It's about half way down on page two... http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Do the tube/hoses the are in the valve cover just pull off? I tried a little to pull them off, but they seam tight and I do not want to break anything if I can help it.

Not difficult to do at all. Be sure to get the good gasket from Fel-Pro. It runs about $35, but it's worth every penny.

Here is some info on my build thread. It's about half way down on page two... http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Do the tube/hoses the are in the valve cover just pull off? I tried a little to pull them off, but they seam tight and I do not want to break anything if I can help it.

they should just pull off each grommet.

They should just pull out, but you may need to use a big screw driver or something like that to pry on them a little. If they have been in there for many years without being removed/replaced you will likely break them and have to replace them because they will be dry and brittle. You can get repalcements at NAPA that are not terribly expensive.

They should just pull out, but you may need to use a big screw driver or something like that to pry on them a little. If they have been in there for many years without being removed/replaced you will likely break them and have to replace them because they will be dry and brittle. You can get repalcements at NAPA that are not terribly expensive.

Think I will order them, what are the parts called?

Again, Thanks for your input.

Think I will order them, what are the parts called?

Again, Thanks for your input.

Here you go:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/N ... entilation