Knucklebreaker Expansion Valve

I am trying to change out my old A/C expansion valve and I can only get one line loose. I have LIBERALLY sprayed WD40 in the exposed threads and just can't seem to break the others free. I assume the front side ones are NOT reverse thread, but I've tried both directions to be sure. Suggestions?

I gotta agree with MV. I tried taking my rear shocks off but they were rust welded on. I sprayed em for two days straight with WD40 and couldn't get em loose. 1 Hour with PB and they came off.

I don't know if it's safe where your describing but I've used one of those small camping torches and PB to loosen really stubborn bolts and it's worked everytime. I just spray and heat until they come loose. I don't know what's flammable with that A/C system though.

WD is great stuff, WD stands for Water Displacement. Use its for what its intended for.

Go get yourself a good penetrating oil.

I have always loved PB. I recently found some new stuff I like even better!! Its called FREE ALL. Its a silver can and works GREAT!!

CW

Picked up some PB, got the second by the firewall loose, although I think it was the "peanut butter jar effect", i.e. it was already a little bit loose. Now the other side, sheeeeez, no budge yet. Just to be sure, nobody has confirmed yet whether or not these couplers (towards the front) are reverse thread.

I also have found it interesting as to why there are a lot of metric sizes on this American made vehicle. :nuts: (seat bolts, these couplers, etc.)

Actually, I read somewhere (on the interweb, so it must be true :D ) that the "40" stands for the 40th formulation of the product. Guess the first 39 tries weren't any good.....

Jeff

It was developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen (then working for the Rocket Chemical Company), to drive away water and prevent corrosion.

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that promotes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.

WD-40 was first used by Convair to protect the outer skin of the Atlas missile from rust and corrosion. The product first became commercially available on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.

WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- somewhat similar to kerosene)

* 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)

* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

* 10-%: Inert ingredients

It must be a cover up, product liability and all.

I'm positive I read a few years back that it was 40 days, but now everything says 40th formula. I quess my brother in law got this one right.

I also have found it interesting as to why there are a lot of metric sizes on this American made vehicle. :nuts: (seat bolts, these couplers, etc.)

Almost any vehicle made within the past 30 years, possibly longer, will include metric fasteners. These vehicles in particular have a chassis that included a lot of design help from Renault. The 4.0 can trace its roots back several decades in the US. Because of this, I generally find that the engine (as well as the axles) uses standard sizes and everything else uses metric.

Willy

It just means that on the trail I have to carry standard, metric, torx, allen, and "miscellaneous".

I found it hilarious when I read in an offroad magazine that they suggested only bringing the tools that you need when working on your truck. :roll:

WD is great stuff, WD stands for Water Displacement. Use its for what its intended for.

Go get yourself a good penetrating oil.

I have always loved PB. I recently found some new stuff I like even better!! Its called FREE ALL. Its a silver can and works GREAT!!

CW

The April/May edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil .. Average load .. Price per fluid ounce

None ................. 516 pounds ..

WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25

PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35

Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21

Kano Kroil ......... 106 pounds .. $0.75

ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio).

Interesting for sure. I always heard Liquid Wrench was good too. Now I know. Wade-Duece, I see you're getting a lot of work done today like me LOL :D

Every Day my friend...

Wade's to Do List:

#1) ComancheClub

#2) Everything else non-ComancheClub related...

I was going to relate another substitute but SuperWade2 and possum have it listed in their posts. Kano Kroil. It also works like PB as a capillary driller rather than displacement agent. It is also silcone based rather than petroleum but it's pricey. I only use it when PB fails. I get it here;

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search? ... ubmit.y=11

Yeah Brian, at $20 a can, it better be the one shot wonder!

No guarantee with it either but it is better. In reality (not your kind), the two cans I bought were only $14.95 per 5 years ago. One is half empty the other never been used yet. So truely a one shot attempt.

In Europe, MoS2 oil (in a spray can) is about as common as WD40 is here. Everyone has it, every store carries it and it's cheap. Works way better as a penetrating lubricant than WD40, but I have never seen it here.