Removed the bed.

Removed the bed in order to rust-protect the uniframe and the bed. There was no serious rust attack, only surface rust, but it has to be dealt with, before the rust starts to eat up the frame.

The brake tubes are too rusty and have to be replaced.

It was a "ton" of mud and sand on top and inside the frame, did HP wash it, and used steel brush wheels on the grinder to remove the rust.

Here some working pics.

What did you use for paint/primer?

The red paint is Corroless, it's penetrating the remaining rust and transform it into ironoxyd.

The black paint is also a rust protective stuff called Arcanol, have used this much on my YJ and it works very well.

Parquet floor in the garage?

Awesome!

He, he...after water damage inside my parents house, this was changed out with new Parquet, so it ended up in my garage :-D

man that's awesome! How hard is it to take off the bed, I need to do the same thing to my MJ.

It was a pain in the a**, did have to cut several rusty bolts.

It's 8 bolts holding the bed, the gas tank and the wire-bracket for the parking brake, is bolted to the bed so it have to be removed first.

Also the bumper and spare tire bracket have to be removed.

The bed is not that heavy, me and my father lifted it off without problems.

New brake tubes…

The brake tubes was ok from the MC to just behind the cab, I cut both tubes and connect them into a ‘T’ connection, and also I remove the prop valve, and install new tubes to the rear drums.

Planning to weld inn two cross beams, to mount the gas tank, parking brake wire-bracket and exhaust support, so it doesn’t have to be removed when taking off the bed next time :)

I'll certainly be doing that, I need to attack the light surface rust on the underside of my bed while it's still in good shape.

Of course, I probably will just spray the whole thing down with rustoleum after I wire brush it. can't' be too fancy.

Some progress.

stainless fuel tank and 3” exhaust..

Image Not Found

The bed is on again, and the Comanche is prepared for the winter, yesterday the first snow came....pic taken when my GF took me to the airport this morning..

This was my first work on the MJ, I enjoy the car very mush (even my GF likes it), more radical modifications will come as soon as a have time to spare :)

Did you make your gas tank? Or did you buy it?

Oh yeah, your Jeep looks darn nice. Sometimes I think I should have just restored mine... Only thing is, I would never find a bed.

Just noticed, you've got a lot of stocker rims/tires :P

Thanks for comments :)

The gas tank was on the car, probably installed by the previous owner.

Very simple design, made of 3 mm stainless steel plates and tig welded.

I just adjusted the tank sending unit and made a new gasket around the fuelpump, otherwise it works good.

The stock wheels are from my Wrangler, running 10" rims with 35" on the YJ.

• 1 year later...

The red paint is Corroless, it's penetrating the remaining rust and transform it into ironoxyd.

The black paint is also a rust protective stuff called Arcanol, have used this much on my YJ and it works very well.

I fund the Corroless Stuff online.

But Arcanol is an ingredient that is in paint. What brand of black paint did you use??

Where did you buy both, and how much did you pay.

AMS

As you can see I’m Norwegian... bought the paint over here, I think I paid ca. 30 USD for a liter.

The black paint is Arcanol.

I don’t think Jotun( the manufacturer) sell Jotun Arcanol in US, I know they have shops over there, but it’s mainly ship and marine paints.

• 2 years later...
The bed is on again, and the Comanche is prepared for the winter, yesterday the first snow came....pic taken when my GF took me to the airport this morning..

This was my first work on the MJ, I enjoy the car very mush (even my GF likes it), more radical modifications will come as soon as a have time to spare :)

First snow and probably six more months of it depending on how far north you are. :cheers:

BTW, did you reuse your stock fuel filler location? Great job! Wish some of out WI boys were as energetic at rust prevention as you are. :cheers:

• 3 months later...