Stepside MJ?

I am tempted to build a stepside box for my Manche as the orig one is rusty and now dented from wheeling. I am thinking of something similar to the Willy's P/U, using 10 ga sheet and tube flares for strength. I think it would look killer as well as be good and strong for some abuse on the trail. I guess most depends on if I sell it soon to build my YJ that has been apart for 3 years.

Any thoughts?

Just another option - there is a picture somewhere on the forum a MJ with a Ford stepside bed on it. I searched but I can't find it - you may be able to do better. It looked good by the way.

Yes, the topic is Right Here

But I lost the pictures :eek:

So, I reloaded them Here :D

That is it :clapping: , thanks Wildman :thumbsup: . I really like the look of that. If I ever pick up a short bed :brows:

There was a jeep comanche in a 4wheel magazine that they took on a wheeling trip with one of the rigs they built in 08, it was a gmc truck if anyone can remember the issue or what it was called cuz i don't. But anyway it had the kaiser m715 bed and it looked pretty sweet.

Or

Image Not Found

Find one of these bad boys. The elusive little red truck dakota.

I saw a box off of a 90 something chev step side at the JY the otherday and was thinking I could just fab the wheelwell part on the comanche box. that way I get rid of the rusted out part and have a bit biger wheelwell to cover the tires. now that I see some pics I don't know about it. but I was going use the comanch box so it would be different then the pics. if I am able to do something to the front fenders it mght not be bad as they would match.

Need to get in touch with Spencer at jeepsticker.com and get a set of JEEP tailgate stickers for on that... :thumbsup:

Don't need to Taz..........

There's something in place where the "other" badge was......

:rotf:

You missed that picture :D

• 2 weeks later...

You're all committing Blaspheme! I'll pray hard tonight to the Jeep Gods that they do not strike you down for considering a Ford or Chevy bed on your truck!

Umm, wait a minute :hmm:

I just remembered the 8.8 rear axle I put in :doh: Oh no, I'm gonna burn, I'm not going to Jeep heaven for my reward of 72 Lifted Jeeps with Virgin interiors!!!! :bowdown:

hmmmm. I wonder if a fleet side bed would work. I only have 1 prob if I go a different bed. I lose my tonneau cover :( I may try to find one that needs only the fender wells fixed. I can cut them out of my bed since that's the only great shape on the bed.

• 1 month later...

I started another topic on this as the search engine wouldn't take any form of a search for "bed swap", so I'm jumping into the conversation here.

What are the main issues with swapping a bed over? Once you find the correct lengths it basically just redrilling the bolt holes, or do you need to do a lot of work to make it fit onto a shortbox Comanche? One of the things that has always bugged me about doing a 97+ conversion is the need to find an extremely clean bed....and when you do, you usually find an extremely clean front, so why bother change it over?

You may possibly have to do some minor frame customization other than just "drilling holes", but more importantly, beside the size of the bed to make sure it fits, make sure the wheel wells are in the right place.

Right, I figured that was a given. ;)

So we know we can make a Ford Stepside fit, and for me, it's not how it looks - it's how it looks on this jeep.

Do a 2500 conversion and that stepside starts to look better, but it's still up against the boxy doors. I'm thinking that the biggest problem with that bed is the rear fenders...something "straighter" might work better.

Problem with this style:

ChevyS10zr2.jpg

Is the body line that runs into the cab....never mind the size difference.

Rangers, same thing:

2003-ford-ranger-fx4-001.jpg

Dunno if it is possible to mask that with paint and pinstriping, or if something else out there works....I'm still looking. Need more coffee and Bailey's. That'll help.